Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New embark, fits my cri- OH WH- the F**K was THAT?  (Read 4229 times)

S31-Syntax

• Bay Watcher
  • Favorite Rock: Obsidian
    • View Profile
New embark, fits my cri- OH WH- the F**K was THAT?
« on: October 07, 2010, 03:21:23 am »

I embarked on a tile that fit all my criteria, and was met with copious amounts of Fun.

Typically, i look for a small list of things.
-must have a river
-must have a volcano in close proximity to said river
-must have an obsidian layer, not for mining, but it allows obsidian to be a non-economic stone
-must have a decent amount of trees
-must be relatively level

So i embarked, and things were somewhat slow.

I find my wagon on the edge of a cliff, surrounded by what looks like lava and slade.
First message i get describes eerie pits of purple light... "oh hell (lol)"
then come the horrifying screams, and then everything runs at 0 fps.

I managed to hit the HFS without even lifting my pick! :-X
Obsidian! the only rock that can be MADE by dwarfs!

...also it appears to have resulted in the dead crundle on top of my trade depot exploding, causing it do deconstruct.  Huh.

somerandomlogin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New embark, fits my cri- OH WH- the F**K was THAT?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 03:24:37 am »

Well, this is dwarf fortress. ;D
Carthage must be destroyed.
Bugs must be destroyed. Implementing new features without fixing known bugs and issues is wrong.

Emily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 03:31:31 am »

This seems to happen occasionally.  I'm not clear whether its due to freak irreproduceable glitches or its an actual recurring bug, but, um, try regenning the exact same world parameters and embark on the same spot?

But I've heard of people having their entire surface cave into the magma sea, and on other occasions, caves being revealed from the start.  Or, you know, adamantine space elevators.

Fanklok

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Table User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 03:36:24 am »

Clear it out in adventure mode and reclaim.
How the hell did you get a table stuck in a guy?
Where did you even GET the table?

S31-Syntax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 04:03:19 am »

I think it was map corruption... cause DF crashed after eating 3 gigs of ram just 10 minutes before... when embarking on the same spot... granted the 3 gigs was caused by 8 hours of continuous running. but after goblins invaded and i flooded the fortress with Fun, it crashed on embark. And the crash warped the surface into a demonic fortress... and chasms... and like, 3 volcanoes in a 2x3 embark area. I never even got to build anything, it was unplayable at its 0FPS...

Oh well, new embark, new Fun!

...also it appears to have resulted in the dead crundle on top of my trade depot exploding, causing it do deconstruct.  Huh.

gralcio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 05:24:47 am »

Let us know once you upload that save somewhere.

lowbart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 11:27:31 am »

Post Stonesense screenshots please.
"Are you there, gods? It's me, Mistêm."
Quote from: Boatmurdered
Guerilla Burialgears absently tucks the child's rock into his pack and turns to leave for good; his head hung low. His words trail behind him as he disappears over the ridge. It is a haunting whisper, quickly stolen away by the wind: "All burn..."

arzzult

• Bay Watcher
  • This statement is false.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 01:06:37 pm »

-must have an obsidian layer, not for mining, but it allows obsidian to be a non-economic stone

Um, wouldn't it just be easier to go to the "stone" tab in the "z" menu and make it non-economic manually than looking for an embark with obsidian?
I just realized two things. 1. For the Win and F___ the World have the same initials. 2. They have the same meaning in Dwarf Fortress.

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2010, 02:13:31 pm »

AFAIK, Obsidian is bugged to not show up in that list unless it's on the map in the first place (i.e., not farmed)

randomnation

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2010, 02:36:02 pm »

Same thing happened to me after genning a world in .16! Only thing I changed was moving site cap from 1500 to 1000.

First embark was sort of normal, it had about 25 layers, only 1 cavern (first time) and no adamantine. The entire top right corner of the map was all rock down to the lowest z level as well. I abandoned and embarked at another location and ended up in an area with glowing pits and slade for like, 50 z levels in both directions. No trees. :(
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Interus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2010, 03:06:38 pm »

AFAIK, Obsidian is bugged to not show up in that list unless it's on the map in the first place (i.e., not farmed)

Did something change?  I haven't embarked on volcanoes since 40d, but when I did there, the magma vent was always surrounded by obsidian, even without a specific obsidian layer.  Or at least, I don't remember an obsidian layer.  I could be wrong.  It's just that it seems like having a volcano would negate the need for an obsidian layer, at least to have the stone on the map naturally.

Ten_Tacles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2010, 04:47:26 pm »

Same thing happened to me after genning a world in .16! Only thing I changed was moving site cap from 1500 to 1000.

First embark was sort of normal, it had about 25 layers, only 1 cavern (first time) and no adamantine. The entire top right corner of the map was all rock down to the lowest z level as well. I abandoned and embarked at another location and ended up in an area with glowing pits and slade for like, 50 z levels in both directions. No trees. :(
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yeah, modern dwarves go straight to hell.
To colonize it of course.

S31-Syntax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2010, 02:20:51 am »

Ah i regenned the world cause i didn't feel like dealing with it. ^.^ I'm pretty sure that it was map corruption caused by a crash mid-embark.

I've not seen the gates of hell since then, but that was still funny. ^.^

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2010, 09:23:04 am »

...No trees. :(

I think that's the least of your worries.
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb