Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Waterfall Dining Hall Disaster  (Read 3141 times)

Zisteau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Waterfall Dining Hall Disaster
« on: October 07, 2010, 02:31:07 am »

Well, not in the Fun variety, but it definitely didn't work the way I thought it would. I read of some other artificial waterfalls that landed on a statue with grates around it for mist. Supposedly from what I read the statue wouldn't get muddy and your dining hall would have lots of mist.

Only....my dining room is 8 stories tall with a seating terrace every other level, so 4 double height spaces. Apparently the water spreads out as it falls? The bottom level is covered in mud and water, and people are freaking out. Yay!

electromagneticpulse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Waterfall Dining Hall Disaster
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 06:00:58 am »

Had a similar thing happen, I tried to create a stream running through my dining hall that changed Z-level to add some mist. Of course the lower level, where all my seating was with my meeting hall, etc, got flooded to hell. Given that none of my dwarfs swam they got flushed to the walls and simply drowned there.

I've had numerous foolish floods. One time I tried to create an irrigation flow for my fields and attempted to side-mine the passage. I had a flood gate waiting to be constructed and had set my mining to come within two-squares of the water source and let them be. Of course my upward tunnel hit a layer of damp stone that poured water into my stairwell, before I'd gotten the floodgate constructed.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 06:32:00 am »

the reason is that water actually spread out faster then getting pumped out. Your better option would be letting the water freefall and pump stack it back to top. If you are paranoid about open space in your hall then you can...
1) Put a floor grate and restrict that space.
2) Surround it wall grate/bar/fortification. I'm not sure if any of them let mist through, tho.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Dadou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 10:01:14 am »

Maybe making the water go diagonally would reduce the pressure ?
No magma, no Fun.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 11:59:58 am »

I tend to make vertical pipes for the water, about 2 or 3 zu levels high, before the water gets released into the dining room. I sort of think this negates potentially existing "horizontal momentum" your water might have built up. At least that way the water seems to fall straight down.

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
  • Know-it-all and bragart
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 12:02:17 pm »

There is no such thing as horizontal momentum or pressure in that fashion.  Though I imagine a long pipe like that would "catch" the spreading water against it's sides if it were long enough.

Zisteau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 01:53:06 pm »

I have a reservoir under the dining hall and wells on the bottom floor. I think in the future ever level will seating will be a terrace and leave an opening all the way down the center. Before I shut it off, the waterfall was giving me a nice amount of mist on the other dining levels, and if I tweak the design a little I'll be able to get a well on every level as well.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 03:41:17 pm »

I put a waterfall on the edge of a hallway that leads to either the dining hall, or the statue garden, or the well, or Boozehalla -- some place the dwarves all want to go, which means they have to pass the waterfall along the way.

In my initial attempts, I tried setting up a pump stack which pulled water directly from a large underground reservoir. This was not a good idea.  The pump stack spewed so much water that it couldn't drain back into the reservoir as fast as it was flying out of the pump.  The result: a flooded hallway (or worse).

So I modified the design: instead of a large reservoir for the pump stack, I gave them a ONE-tile reservoir.  The water falls out of the top pump directly back into the reservoir, and there's no overflow.

With such a small reservoir, I don't even need complex engineering for filling it.  I just designate it as a pond and let dwarves fill it to 6/7 with buckets, then un-designate it, and then start the pumps.

This doubles as a shower, too.  Dwarves will happily walk on the floor grate when there is no water currently blocking that tile, and will then be drenched as the water falls on them.  This removes all contaminants from the dwarf and his clothing and puts them on the floor grate.  When dwarves see this, they sometimes feel a wish to Clean it, which is a good thing.  Unfortunately, Cleaning takes longer than the microscopic time interval between water dumps, so they spam me with job cancellation messages.  Therefore, I make sure there's a gear assembly somewhere between the power source and the pump stack, hooked to a lever.  When the shower's contaminated, I turn it off, wait for someone to Clean it, and then turn it back on.

Code: [Select]
       +     Constructed floor, to prevent tree growth
     XD%     Pump (bottom of stack) and access stairwell/door
=======%==   Wall + pump
+++++++#++   Hallway + floor grate over channeled reservoir
++++++++++
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2010, 03:58:58 pm »

Maybe making the water go diagonally would reduce the pressure ?

yes.  A diagonal bend will prevent the pump from teleporting water past that point, so after the kink/baffles/diagonal, the water would free flow.  Then it would fall straight down no problem.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

TerrisH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2010, 05:32:27 pm »

the reason is that water actually spread out faster then getting pumped out. Your better option would be letting the water freefall and pump stack it back to top. If you are paranoid about open space in your hall then you can...
1) Put a floor grate and restrict that space.
2) Surround it wall grate/bar/fortification. I'm not sure if any of them let mist through, tho.

fortifications will indeed let Mist through. 

found a HUGE natural waterfall on a Major river, about 9 Zlvls high.  started building my fort behind it from the bottom up behind it, since it let me bypass the aquafier.  built the dinning room behind it and used fortification for the outside wall.   mist went through no problem.   

then I dug up into the aquafier layer.    on the main stairwell.  three dwarfs dead in an instant, fotress flooding fast.   *sigh* and It was such a good site.

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2010, 05:40:08 pm »

Well, not in the Fun variety, but it definitely didn't work the way I thought it would. I read of some other artificial waterfalls that landed on a statue with grates around it for mist. Supposedly from what I read the statue wouldn't get muddy and your dining hall would have lots of mist.

Only....my dining room is 8 stories tall with a seating terrace every other level, so 4 double height spaces. Apparently the water spreads out as it falls? The bottom level is covered in mud and water, and people are freaking out. Yay!

Did you forget the fill the pond task on perhaps?

Or maybe you're having constant power failures in the pump systems like I do that keep stopping the pumps and all water ends up on the floor due to them?

Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

Zisteau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2010, 09:35:44 pm »

Did you forget the fill the pond task on perhaps?

Or maybe you're having constant power failures in the pump systems like I do that keep stopping the pumps and all water ends up on the floor due to them?

The reservoir under the dining hall was filled first with one pump stack, and there is an empty z-level between the water level and the bottom floor of the dining hall. A second pump stack takes water from this reservoir and pumps it to the top of the dining hall. So no power losses.

I will try a diagonal tile at the top and see if that helps any.