Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: Outstanding bugs in 0.31.16  (Read 10708 times)

WrathNail

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: too awesome to use]
    • View Profile
Re: Outstanding bugs in 0.31.16
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2010, 05:48:46 am »

Bugs, schmugs. The game's in alpha, plus it's playable for free. I say let the good man work on his project at his own pace.
And we, build up castles
in the sky and in the sand.
Design our own world
ain't nobody understand.

somerandomlogin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2010, 06:02:31 am »

Bugs, schmugs. The game's in alpha, plus it's playable for free. I say let the good man work on his project at his own pace.

If it is free - release the source. What difference would it make?
Carthage must be destroyed.
Bugs must be destroyed. Implementing new features without fixing known bugs and issues is wrong.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2010, 06:09:49 am »

a lot. for today. since it's his vision (and threetoe) that brought us here.

but feel free to create your very own bug free clone, instead of coming complaining on getting your hands on work that doesn't belong to you. you may as well succeed.
best wishes.

somerandomlogin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2010, 07:05:11 am »

a lot. for today. since it's his vision (and threetoe) that brought us here.

but feel free to create your very own bug free clone, instead of coming complaining on getting your hands on work that doesn't belong to you. you may as well succeed.
best wishes.

If by "getting your hands on work that doesn't belong to you" you mean "actually fixing all those damn bugs" then, well, you sir are an idiot.

Writing a clone doesn't make any sense. It is a huge amount of work, I won't deny that Toady has done a really great work. But why doing the same work twice if it is so much simplier to fix known bugs? Because someone is too greedy to share something that is free anyway? Because the community will bring something better in it?

Opinionated people like you actually make me sick. Bah.
Bugs must be destroyed. Implementing new features without fixing known bugs and issues is wrong.

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
  • Know-it-all and bragart
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2010, 07:06:10 am »

It's really simple.  Toady doesn't want to.  Since it's his game, that's the end of the argument.  I really don't understand why this keeps getting brought up.

somerandomlogin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2010, 07:15:34 am »

Maybe because "he just doesn't want to" doesn't sound like a valid argument.

Or maybe because there is no banner on DF page that states that.

Fellhuhn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2010, 07:17:30 am »

He doesn't need arguments.

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
  • Know-it-all and bragart
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2010, 07:18:33 am »

Maybe because "he just doesn't want to" doesn't sound like a valid argument.
To be frank, I think that's a despicable thing to say and I won't argue with you further.

edit: Is it really worship to defend a man's basic rights?  What an odd world you live in.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 07:22:25 am by BigJake »

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2010, 07:19:13 am »

None of those bugs make the game unplayable how you want it too, with perhaps the exception of the marksdwarves not really working. In my mind they are all pretty minor issues that I can live with. The plaster and soap bug don't really matter at all for instance, neither does the clothes bug. Personally, I am thankful that the equipment bug causing dwarves to charge into battle with training axes and three shields has been fixed. That really did screw the game up a LOT. I stopped playing until it had been fixed.

Seeing as FPS kills more forts than all other things, I think introducing heat transfer into the equation is not required until we all have computers five times the current speed. Obviously better would be great, but I'm very happy as it is.
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2010, 07:20:08 am »

He doesn't need arguments.
+1
Opinionated people like you actually make me sick. Bah.

as if adding the open source powder fixes bug by magic. it's an alpha, it's in development, it's evolving and changing. it couldn't be fixed. it's an alpha, get over with it.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 07:22:32 am by LoSboccacc »

somerandomlogin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2010, 07:21:13 am »

Sure. Being greedy, selfish and a poor programmer doesn't really need much explaination or arguments.

Don't mind my babbling though - this is my last message on this forum. I'll find some other game to play. Go worship Toady, that's so much better.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2010, 07:24:53 am »

Sure. Being greedy, selfish and a poor programmer doesn't really need much explaination or arguments.

Don't mind my babbling though - this is my last message on this forum. I'll find some other game to play. Go worship Toady, that's so much better.

greedy?
a developer of a free game?
which lives off donations?

poor programmer?
developing a game with feats nobody ever tried before?
so far reaching that simulates the world from geology to actual creature nerves?

and you want it now, and finished and polished, because of? you can't stand some minor issue?

WrathNail

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: too awesome to use]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2010, 07:28:45 am »

Go worship Toady, that's so much better.

Thank you kindly for reminding me. I forgot to light the candles in my shrine this morning.
And we, build up castles
in the sky and in the sand.
Design our own world
ain't nobody understand.

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2010, 07:30:49 am »

That's like you just breached HFS or something, and the clowns are going to pour out soon. I would run.
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2010, 07:46:14 am »

Man, I don't get you people. Every game in the world has bugs, there is no such thing as a bugless game. Admittedly some are worse than others. I've seen games selling for £30-40 that are far worse off than Dwarf Fortress, which I would like to point out is free. Even if I would like the major bugs to be sorted before getting any new features (makes sense to me), I understand that people work in different ways, so just let the man do his thing. It's a damn good thing he's doing.

That said, whats this I hear about gypsum plaster being broken again? It was fixed not too long ago.  ???
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9