Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: Outstanding bugs in 0.31.16  (Read 10693 times)

fyy0r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Outstanding bugs in 0.31.16
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2010, 01:59:04 pm »

* Dwarves with worn out clothes will claim new clothes but will never actually put them on

Is this why I see clothes laying around on the floor all the time?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 02:01:42 pm by fyy0r »

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
  • Know-it-all and bragart
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2010, 02:17:41 pm »

* Dwarves with worn out clothes will claim new clothes but will never actually put them on

Is this why I see clothes laying around on the floor all the time?
Yes.  Those are claimed clothes and if they have no cabinet in which to put them they just leave them where they lie because they won't put them on.

Huggz

• Bay Watcher
  • Sherlock Wayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2010, 02:44:03 pm »

All still unfixed. There are dozens of other significant bugs which Toady apparently thinks are less important than adding new features to the game. To name a few:

* Foreign units lose their position when they leave the map, resulting in a new liaison every year and Human law-givers only visiting your fortress once in their entire life
* Artifacts made from bone have no decorations at all
* Dwarves are never given crutches when they need them, leaving them in the hospital forever
* The Outpost Liaison won't appoint (or promote) a baron unless the entire meeting is delayed until the caravan has left the map
* There are no immigrant nobles - dungeon master, tax collector, and hammerer never show up and cannot be appointed.
* Elves don't have diplomats, so they can't impose tree cutting quotas (they were only able to do so in 0.31.12 and earlier due to another bug which has since been fixed)
* Some military data seemingly is not initialized, so saving one fort and loading another can result in crashes or bogus squads/orders
* Dwarves in surgery on a table are treated as requiring rescue
* Glass has uninitialized sharpness, making it useless for trap weapons
* Human and dwarven merchants never bring wagons
* Magma heats up creatures way too slowly, often causing them to bleed to death or drown instead of burning up

I agree, why can't Toady fix what is there before moving on? I would MUCH prefer bug fixes to new features. Even mediocre cooks know to tidy up as you go along...
Proper English will make people take you more serious.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2010, 02:47:36 pm »

This is an alpha.  Feature-completeness is a beta thing.  That means new features are added in the alpha.  It's not terribly complicated.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2010, 02:48:03 pm »

All still unfixed. There are dozens of other significant bugs which Toady apparently thinks are less important than adding new features to the game. To name a few:

* Foreign units lose their position when they leave the map, resulting in a new liaison every year and Human law-givers only visiting your fortress once in their entire life
* Artifacts made from bone have no decorations at all
* Dwarves are never given crutches when they need them, leaving them in the hospital forever
* The Outpost Liaison won't appoint (or promote) a baron unless the entire meeting is delayed until the caravan has left the map
* There are no immigrant nobles - dungeon master, tax collector, and hammerer never show up and cannot be appointed.
* Elves don't have diplomats, so they can't impose tree cutting quotas (they were only able to do so in 0.31.12 and earlier due to another bug which has since been fixed)
* Some military data seemingly is not initialized, so saving one fort and loading another can result in crashes or bogus squads/orders
* Dwarves in surgery on a table are treated as requiring rescue
* Glass has uninitialized sharpness, making it useless for trap weapons
* Human and dwarven merchants never bring wagons
* Magma heats up creatures way too slowly, often causing them to bleed to death or drown instead of burning up

I agree, why can't Toady fix what is there before moving on? I would MUCH prefer bug fixes to new features. Even mediocre cooks know to tidy up as you go along...
For a man way behind his personal schedule, cleaning up becomes less and less a concern until you get SOME progress made. Bug fixing is not progress for Toady. I can understand where he's coming from, even if I do disagree with this approach.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2010, 03:24:11 pm »

Toady works in amphibious ways.

(I'd love to see more bug fixes and less new development as well, but it's not my choice to make.)
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Avin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2010, 03:28:55 pm »

Well of course not that badly, but I think, and  I could be incredibly wrong here >.>, that the intention was to give atleast a few seconds of survival time for miners and such, but it didn't work out right. It's not as major a bug as some of the other ones either way.

Maybe, however there are other, safer ways of getting to magma, primarily from above it by digging a channel or by pumping.
Personally I think its a shame that touching magma isn't almost an insta-frag

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2010, 04:50:35 pm »

Well of course not that badly, but I think, and  I could be incredibly wrong here >.>, that the intention was to give atleast a few seconds of survival time for miners and such, but it didn't work out right. It's not as major a bug as some of the other ones either way.

Maybe, however there are other, safer ways of getting to magma, primarily from above it by digging a channel or by pumping.
Not if you're trying to tap a vertical magma pipe.  The only way to do that is with carving fortifications into the side of the pipe.  The only other precaution is to channel a z level below where the fortification will be and have the engraver stand on a grate.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

xellas84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2010, 05:22:30 pm »

I find it rather easy to simply tap the magma pipe at the top and make a vertical tunnel for the magma to travel down through.

I do it routinely on my volcanic embark points early on to make my magma cistern for the smelters.  Dig a stair line up the side of the magma pipe, tap it with a few well-placed channels, and the magma pours right down the tunnel however many z-levels you need, boom, done.
Urist McSpearfwarf: RARRR... I'm a big bad Falcon Demon named Murray who doesn't know what a Legendary Miner is. I'm a MONSTAAA! RARRRR! Oh, oh, pick in my brain. Down I go.

Emily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2010, 09:48:32 pm »

Blood splatter killed my last fortress.

It doesn't track by walking anymore, but water still clones blood so much the game became unplayable.  Like 5 fps unplayable.

Other than this one, most of the bugs are annoying but don't seem too urgent.  The magma one especially seems symptomatic of the entire temperature code needing to be overhauled, so it's probably not even a quick fix, and it's really the only one of those that's serious.

Well, and the fact that I can never get medicine to work, so I never even make a hospital, but that's not entirely a bug.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2010, 10:08:31 pm »

These so called bugs are not for us to decide whether or not they are bugs. It just seems to me that no matter how well you plan a game out, upon actual design you feel the urge to deviate from the original plans.

In simple, toady probably doesn't like some of the things he designed, and while he tries to re-plan them he might as well work with what he does like.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

petersohn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2010, 12:29:17 am »

Other than this one, most of the bugs are annoying but don't seem too urgent.  The magma one especially seems symptomatic of the entire temperature code needing to be overhauled, so it's probably not even a quick fix, and it's really the only one of those that's serious.
Plus, the ammo  bug. I just don't use marksdwarfs because they would require too much micromanagement and be unreliable even then.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2010, 03:38:04 am »

the community as a whole bitched for months to force His hand on a release, and you knew what was coming.
He's still working on stuff that will require retouching military, hospitals and so on, no sense in fixing them up only to break them again in a short while (medication and stuff needs to be worked out for adventure mode too)

the community wanted to play on something barely working, and that is the scope of fixes right now. I suppose that for the tangled interaction of a complex system like df, you can't really touch one part without breaking everything. fixing those bug may require a very large chunk of time, only for them getting bugged again on the next feature added.

somerandomlogin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2010, 05:25:54 am »

Toady should publish source codes, thus attracting everyone able to write code to fixing bugs.

Open source would make DF available for all linux distros repositories, (potentially) making DF more popular.
Carthage must be destroyed.
Bugs must be destroyed. Implementing new features without fixing known bugs and issues is wrong.

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2010, 05:32:32 am »

Anyone else having deja vu?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9