Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Where are the Skelephants?  (Read 1510 times)

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Where are the Skelephants?
« on: October 07, 2010, 01:12:20 am »

I embarked in a Terrifying Tropical Moist Broadleaf Forest that had tons of living Elephants, but no undead anything(Except for the special community center downstairs that was peeking into the last cavern, that had all sorts of undead in it and some other stuff when my miners oddly mined straight through an un-minable wall like it wasn't even there).

Was it all living stuff because of the clown outreach center, or was I looking in the wrong spot?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 01:14:24 am by Zaik »
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
Re: Where are the Skelephants?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 01:20:22 am »

You want Haunted, not Terrifying.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 01:26:57 am »

That did it, thanks

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 01:30:24 am »

That did it, thanks

Not a problem.  Just be warned - haunted oceans suck.  Amphibious zombie whale sharks, skeletal sturgeon, and a hundred other nightmarish things.

Also, see: Boatmurdered.   Now, picture those unfriendly pachyderms as skeletons.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 01:33:34 am »

Well, that was fast. Down already

Perhaps i should start out with zombie elephants and work my way up to skeletal. Is there a way to get the zombie ones? I know terrifying places are primarily zombies with the occasional living creature possibly, but i already tried that with no luck, the elephants were all alive.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 01:35:39 am »

Well, that was fast. Down already

Perhaps i should start out with zombie elephants and work my way up to skeletal. Is there a way to get the zombie ones? I know terrifying places are primarily zombies with the occasional living creature possibly, but i already tried that with no luck, the elephants were all alive.

It's random spawns, but it IS weighted to certain things like skeletal / zombie for haunted, ext.   

Also, embark with your two main miners, but with two other miners with 1 skill point in it, and extra picks for them.  The first thing you need to do is dig a trench around your embark site, the faster the better.

Remember to make sure there are no ramps for them to just walk through the trench.

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 01:37:14 am »

I generally go with 4 miners anyway, but the trench is actually a really good idea, I'll try that for round #2.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 01:41:22 am »

I generally go with 4 miners anyway, but the trench is actually a really good idea, I'll try that for round #2.

I usually go with 5, actually, and turn the skill off for 3 of them (three that only start with one point in it) once I've got enough dug out - usually by summer.  Also, all my full-time miners are masons too, which is a doubble edged sword:  It's hard to keep them just mining at times, but it means if you screw up and dig out something you shouldn't you can seal it off real quick without breaking a sweat.

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2010, 01:59:18 am »

Ah, I might try going lower points on the mining for when i embark with a military dwarf, but i've had such limited success with that that i dunno if it's even worth it.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2010, 02:06:50 am »

I've never had luck embarking with less than 4 military Dwarves (two melee, two ranged - usually), so I don't even bother with any and just seal myself off until I get some migrants that I can recruit and train.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2010, 02:07:51 am »

I find it a lot safer to go in with mostly miners (6 for me actually) and a ton of premade food and drink, rather than futz around trying to start a food industry or trading economy with my original 7.

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
  • Know-it-all and bragart
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2010, 02:10:48 am »

I don't think I've ever embarked with more than 2.  Actually, I never have more than 2, period.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2010, 02:39:10 am »

It's worth trying, if you like digging out really large rooms and want it done quickly :)  Of course there is no "right" way to play, or even an "optimal" one since it's a sandbox game, but it really changed the way I look at the game when I tried having a large number of miners (I actually like to have around 10 miners once I get a few waves of migrants in).

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2010, 03:36:38 am »

by the way regarding the OP: it's useful to remove the ramps from the beach level to whatever other land you have on the map, much quicker than digging a trench and then removing the ramps from that.  Every ocean map )pretty sure) has at least a +1 Z-level grade you can work with.

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2010, 04:11:56 am »

well, with some particularly close calls and some luck, round #2 has been going pretty well. The migrants hide in the very bottom right corner two tiles until the skelephants wander far enough away for me to risk opening my gates to let them run in.

Other than that it's fairly easy, sedimentary layer on a pretty shallow world so easy magma/steel, once the axedwarves train up enough i'll just let them practice on the undead and whatnot, the corpses i've managed to scavenge from caravan guard fights and a kobold ambush gave a ridiculous amount of bones i don't even know what to do with.
Pages: [1] 2