Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: I THINK IM SMART.....  (Read 4573 times)

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
Re: I THINK IM SMART.....
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2010, 09:51:19 pm »

I am now officially ignoring you.

Seriously. DWARF FUGGIN' MCDWARF (now Medicineman) CAN USE PUNCTUATION (now, at least :P).
I saw the light of G Führer!

(The grammar Führer)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2010, 11:28:21 pm »

*facepalm* ok since i just a crap load of time staring at this, can someone with IT experience help me? i could use advice for this field like what books i should read, stuff i can play with at home to help me.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2010, 11:33:25 pm »

*facepalm* ok since i just a crap load of time staring at this, can someone with IT experience help me? i could use advice for this field like what books i should read, stuff i can play with at home to help me.
Nein mein Führer!

Alright, enough with the nazi references. Will somebody help this guy?

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Meta Knight... 0_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2010, 09:47:48 am »

NEVAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(On a side note, thank you for using capitalization/punctuation, Dwarf Mc Dwarf.)
Caution: This user may or may not be a horrible evil Elder God from the deepest regions of space. He also may or may not be a lawyer.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2010, 10:00:42 am »

(On a side note, thank you for using capitalization/punctuation, Dwarf Mc Dwarf.)
See! I'm not THAT dumb!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2010, 10:04:12 am »

Hey, I once thought I was smart too!
Don't worry, you'll get better.

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Meta Knight... 0_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2010, 10:52:39 am »

(I'm still not forgiving you for heart attacks from fatness.)
Caution: This user may or may not be a horrible evil Elder God from the deepest regions of space. He also may or may not be a lawyer.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2010, 12:45:53 pm »

Hey, I once thought I was smart too!
Don't worry, you'll get better.

But what if I don't want to get better? :(

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2010, 05:47:15 pm »

Well if you signed up for a course at the college... I guess you could ask the professor and, if he/she has one, the TA?
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2010, 06:46:22 pm »

Well if you signed up for a course at the college... I guess you could ask the professor and, if he/she has one, the TA?
well i wanted to hear other people that went through the courses.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2010, 03:59:04 am »

A bit of helpful if cynical general college advice: your professor is your deity. If she praises a certain text, that is your favorite book that you read daily as of that moment. If he expresses a specific viewpoint related to the subject matter, that viewpoint is now shared by you wholeheartedly. It's not that they try to introduce their own bias into the teaching of a fairly objective subject like yours, but more that summary induces bias based on the method of summation, so to cram any reasonable amount of input into a class a semester long is going to necessarily have what the prof or TA thinks is important, and why, creep in; they're not going to devote time to trivia. As such, think like they think and a lot of the fiddly ambiguities on tests cease to present themselves.

Also, and this is going to be hard for you: accept that you know nothing. The less receptive you are to criticism, the more you think you already have down pat and don't need to reexamine, the less of a scholar you become. Eventually you will be an IT guy, but for now, it's assumed you're a scholar; act like it or fail your courses. Besides, you WILL need the help of your fellow students at some point, and if your first response to admittedly puerile criticism is an equally infantile "suck it" then you'll scare away all the immature, judgmental people--and there aren't any other kinds out there.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2010, 07:35:33 am »

A bit of helpful if cynical general college advice: your professor is your deity. If she praises a certain text, that is your favorite book that you read daily as of that moment. If he expresses a specific viewpoint related to the subject matter, that viewpoint is now shared by you wholeheartedly. It's not that they try to introduce their own bias into the teaching of a fairly objective subject like yours, but more that summary induces bias based on the method of summation, so to cram any reasonable amount of input into a class a semester long is going to necessarily have what the prof or TA thinks is important, and why, creep in; they're not going to devote time to trivia. As such, think like they think and a lot of the fiddly ambiguities on tests cease to present themselves.

Also, and this is going to be hard for you: accept that you know nothing. The less receptive you are to criticism, the more you think you already have down pat and don't need to reexamine, the less of a scholar you become. Eventually you will be an IT guy, but for now, it's assumed you're a scholar; act like it or fail your courses. Besides, you WILL need the help of your fellow students at some point, and if your first response to admittedly puerile criticism is an equally infantile "suck it" then you'll scare away all the immature, judgmental people--and there aren't any other kinds out there.
its beautiful but still not helping me to start up.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2010, 11:03:22 am »

Heh, because native English speakers think the best way of judging intelligence is by their grammar.  ::)

Anyway, I do IT security. It's rather simple, IMO. I do a lot of courses and the easiest was network security. Hardest would perhaps be all the cryptographic math, and even then, it's not harder than other kinds of math.

As a job, it's not that great. Nobody does much security research. You'd mostly be expected to just sit around and renew certificates, or take the blame if information leaks. People would sort of view you as a janitor or some other guy who makes sure that there aren't any holes in the ship. A majority of the jobs are quite relaxing but don't expect to change the world or anything.

If you want to start up, just ask them. Lol, you can't expect answers from us if you don't have a specific question. You can only expect rants.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2010, 10:10:41 pm »

Heh, because native English speakers think the best way of judging intelligence is by their grammar.  ::)

Anyway, I do IT security. It's rather simple, IMO. I do a lot of courses and the easiest was network security. Hardest would perhaps be all the cryptographic math, and even then, it's not harder than other kinds of math.

As a job, it's not that great. Nobody does much security research. You'd mostly be expected to just sit around and renew certificates, or take the blame if information leaks. People would sort of view you as a janitor or some other guy who makes sure that there aren't any holes in the ship. A majority of the jobs are quite relaxing but don't expect to change the world or anything.

If you want to start up, just ask them. Lol, you can't expect answers from us if you don't have a specific question. You can only expect rants.
well i did have them somewhere lost in the troll hole. well i wanted to know some study tips, certain books to read, and as you identified huge amounts of skills in math. For my certifications, i need to know what i am up against in the CCNA, CCNP, Network+, Security+, and A+ exams.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2010, 10:20:35 pm »

If you're really interested in IT stuff, then you probably already have a few ideas in mind of what you'd like to mess around with. If you're interested in programming, start with a programming language. If you're interested in learning another OS, do that, and so forth. My point is to take advantage of whatever opportunities you have to tool around with the subject on your own time, and get some hands-on experience.

Also, while they might not have had much tact... English is very important. Yes, even in IT. Being able to clearly express yourself in a manner that other people can understand is of the utmost importance in any technical field, because you need to be able to express yourself concisely, precisely, and effectively. You also need to know how to communicate with people who aren't technically-minded; you need to be able to explain and describe things to these people, as well as interpret what they're saying even if they aren't using the right words or know much about what they're saying themselves. Communication breakdown is a very common and problematic thing when it comes to IT support, teaching in general, and, to some degree, any sort of technical discussion. Maybe people shouldn't be ripping into you about it so much on an Internet forum, but they do have a point; your ability to communicate matters. A lot.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4