Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Use for partial skeletons?  (Read 1827 times)

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Use for partial skeletons?
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2010, 08:56:15 am »

Yup, as far as I know they're just an intermediate until they decompose into pre-bolts, er, bone.
Do we know the timescale for that decay?
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
  • Know-it-all and bragart
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2010, 08:59:06 am »

For big corpses it can take a LONG time.  Like 10 years at the upper end.  Severed limbs I usually see decay in a matter of months if not less.

Larry421

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2010, 09:24:44 am »

It may also be dependent on temperature. I recall on a glacier map never getting skeletons, but on my current hot embark I've got bones in a matter of months.

I could also, of course, be completely wrong

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2010, 11:28:22 am »

It does travel vertically.  It does not, however, travel diagonally.
This should be the only hint that you need for the refuse stockpile, really.

Perhaps also this: Dwarves can travel diagonally. Doors can be in corners of a room.

No need to channel out 120 z-levels to have your refuse stockpile in z=-10 in the open. And miasma never really caused a tantrum spiral in my fortresses yet. Maybe it would it my most recent one though - the dwarves developed a nice setup of mutual grudges all across the board, when they were fighting for the first 2 barrels of booze or something.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

Rexfelum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2010, 11:46:01 am »

Wait, I think the main issue/question here has been missed.

Once they turn to a full skeleton, how do I convert them to bones?

This is not how corpses work:

See here.

A "partial skeleton" is a "skeleton" already (sans meat and all).  It's just been mutilated, such as by having the head removed.  And either type of skeleton can be turned into bones manually by telling your dwarves to "Butcher a dead animal," so long as the animal was butcherable in the first place (i.e., dwarves won't butcher a sapient creature like a goblin or troglodyte).  So, to answer the question "Use for partial skeletons?", you can either tell your butchers to carve them up or wait for them to decompose into bones, and then use the bones for whatever function.

--Rexfelum
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 11:47:47 am by Rexfelum »

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2010, 02:12:20 pm »

I'm using skeletons to train up a butcher.  That way he'll be ready when I get a lot of fresh corpses after a big battle.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2010, 03:16:58 pm »

You don't have to do that manually, if there are free butcher stations and free labor to do it they'll go handle it automatically (at least if the (o)rders option is set iirc).

xellas84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2010, 06:42:50 pm »

Wait, I think the main issue/question here has been missed.

Once they turn to a full skeleton, how do I convert them to bones?

This is not how corpses work:

See here.

A "partial skeleton" is a "skeleton" already (sans meat and all).  It's just been mutilated, such as by having the head removed.  And either type of skeleton can be turned into bones manually by telling your dwarves to "Butcher a dead animal," so long as the animal was butcherable in the first place (i.e., dwarves won't butcher a sapient creature like a goblin or troglodyte).  So, to answer the question "Use for partial skeletons?", you can either tell your butchers to carve them up or wait for them to decompose into bones, and then use the bones for whatever function.

--Rexfelum

Odd.  I've had my guys end up using goblin bones to make some items (Unmodded), so how did I end up with those?
Urist McSpearfwarf: RARRR... I'm a big bad Falcon Demon named Murray who doesn't know what a Legendary Miner is. I'm a MONSTAAA! RARRRR! Oh, oh, pick in my brain. Down I go.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2010, 06:49:26 pm »

I've had stuff made of goblin bone as well, crossbows and totems and stuff, although I'm not exactly sure of the process that was followed to obtain bone from mashed up corpses.  I do know that after a big wave of invaders come through, a lot of the corpses need butchering, although I don't pay too much attention to exactly what kind of corpses - I just build a bunch of butcher shops down by my refuse pile and let the butcher crews handle what they want to handle.  I play with the Fortress Defense mod so I always have a pretty huge variety of corpses, many of which are non-people (animal mounts e.g.).

Funtimes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2010, 07:03:16 pm »

It may also be dependent on temperature. I recall on a glacier map never getting skeletons, but on my current hot embark I've got bones in a matter of months.

I could also, of course, be completely wrong

This requires science. Set up two identical stores, one with magma underneath.

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2010, 09:06:08 pm »

A severed head will decay down to a usable skull and severed limbs of appropriate size can decay to a single bone, which is how I've wound up with the bones of goblins or other sapients turned into bolts.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

Rexfelum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2010, 09:51:20 pm »

You don't have to do that manually, if there are free butcher stations and free labor to do it they'll go handle it automatically (at least if the (o)rders option is set iirc).

Right, yes.  I've fiddled with the defaults so much I'd forgotten that detail.  I was sick of my dwarves interfering with time-critical slaughter tasks by picking up yet another forgotten beast corpse, and/or running into danger to grab still more corpses, and had turned it off.

Auto-butcher is on by default.

Odd.  I've had my guys end up using goblin bones to make some items (Unmodded), so how did I end up with those?
A severed head will decay down to a usable skull and severed limbs of appropriate size can decay to a single bone, which is how I've wound up with the bones of goblins or other sapients turned into bolts.

I'm guessing these go together.  Still, I thought I read somewhere that dwarves wouldn't use bones even then.  Hmm.

I've had stuff made of goblin bone as well, crossbows and totems and stuff, although I'm not exactly sure of the process that was followed to obtain bone from mashed up corpses.  I do know that after a big wave of invaders come through, a lot of the corpses need butchering, although I don't pay too much attention to exactly what kind of corpses - I just build a bunch of butcher shops down by my refuse pile and let the butcher crews handle what they want to handle.  I play with the Fortress Defense mod so I always have a pretty huge variety of corpses, many of which are non-people (animal mounts e.g.).

And I'm guessing that this is a detail in that mod.  I haven't used it.  Or, well, the above decay explanation could come into play, since you have so many corpses total to handle that they sit and wait.

Someone with more knowledge here could be helpful . . .

--Rexfelum

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2010, 11:11:58 pm »

Nah I had gotten goblin bone equipment in the vanilla game too, I only started using the Fortress Defense mod pretty recently (and afaik it doesn't touch anything like materials, only adds new types of invaders).

Kurouma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2010, 03:32:15 am »

On a slightly related note, has the quantum stockpiling 'bug' been fixed with the release of .13+? I originally had a quantum stockpile for my refuse dump, but now it looks like in the new version it doesn't happen anymore. Is it just me, or has everyone else noticed this as well?

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
  • Know-it-all and bragart
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2010, 03:36:05 am »

Working fine for me.  I haven't made a new fortress in .16 though, still chugging on a .12 that I ported so possibly that could effect it?
Pages: 1 [2] 3