Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Use for partial skeletons?  (Read 1826 times)

xellas84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Use for partial skeletons?
« on: October 06, 2010, 10:49:01 pm »

Is there any use for partial skeletons?
Urist McSpearfwarf: RARRR... I'm a big bad Falcon Demon named Murray who doesn't know what a Legendary Miner is. I'm a MONSTAAA! RARRRR! Oh, oh, pick in my brain. Down I go.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Use for partial skeletons?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 10:50:37 pm »

Let them sit a while (years, apparently) and they'll turn into bones and skulls and other non-rotting body parts, which can then be turned into bolts and crafts.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
  • Know-it-all and bragart
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 10:51:46 pm »

Yup, as far as I know they're just an intermediate until they decompose into pre-bolts, er, bone.

xellas84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 11:05:54 pm »

Thanks for the info :)  So I just gotta keep waiting on them.
Urist McSpearfwarf: RARRR... I'm a big bad Falcon Demon named Murray who doesn't know what a Legendary Miner is. I'm a MONSTAAA! RARRRR! Oh, oh, pick in my brain. Down I go.

xellas84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 11:25:59 pm »

Sorry for the doublepost.

Once they turn to a full skeleton, how do I convert them to bones?

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 11:54:11 pm »

Build a butcher shop near your surface stockpiles, OR build a massive airlock-sealed refuse pile near the butcher's and tanner's shops. Mine will go snag bodies when they hit the proper decay state and churn out numberous bone piles automatically, IF the butcher's shop is relatively close.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

bcd1024

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 01:27:07 am »

I'm facing a similar problem, my above ground refuse piles are just too far. Hauling an ogre from the third cavern (z56) to the top (z144) and back down to the butcher's (z136) is stupid.

Does miasma travel vertically? Can I just set up a refuse pit with a ladder and hatch for access?

Right now I atom smash all non-butcherable creatures. Waiting 3 years for 50 goblins to decay while I continue to get sieges is not progress.
This is a feature, not a bug, correct?
You're playing Dwarf Fortress.  There isn't much of a distinction.

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
  • Know-it-all and bragart
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 01:31:52 am »

I'm facing a similar problem, my above ground refuse piles are just too far. Hauling an ogre from the third cavern (z56) to the top (z144) and back down to the butcher's (z136) is stupid.

Does miasma travel vertically? Can I just set up a refuse pit with a ladder and hatch for access?

Right now I atom smash all non-butcherable creatures. Waiting 3 years for 50 goblins to decay while I continue to get sieges is not progress.
It does travel vertically.  It does not, however, travel diagonally.

WrathNail

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: too awesome to use]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2010, 05:00:22 am »

Simply build a refuse pile near the butcher shop and use doors to seal it off. Only the haulers (which are expendable anyway) will catch a whiff of the miasma inside the room.

Also, why atom smash? Dig down to the semi molten rock and dump anything unwanted on top of it. Anything that touches SMR will phase out of existence.
And we, build up castles
in the sky and in the sand.
Design our own world
ain't nobody understand.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2010, 05:04:31 am »

Also, why atom smash? Dig down to the semi molten rock and dump anything unwanted on top of it. Anything that touches SMR will phase out of existence.

While that is indeed a great trick, it kind of depends on where you have all the garbage - it may be quicker to just build a bridge next to the garbage and mash it there than to move it down to the semi molten rock.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2010, 05:50:36 am »

Any use?
Cover your roads with refuse piles that only accept humanoids.

Astramancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2010, 06:02:31 am »

Here's what I do for miasma from my refuse stockpiles:

Build a hallway like this:
Code: [Select]
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
X X X X X X X X XX
 X X X X X X X X X
                 X
X X X X X X X X XX
 X X X X X X X X X
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Where the X's are walls.  Put the refuse stockpiles in the outer rows.  No dwarf ever has to enter miasma, because the miasma only ever occurs in the tiles where there's actual rotting garbage.  Or you can just make a big old square room for your refuse stockpile and put an 'airlock' on it to reduce/eliminate the miasma that can get out when dwarves put more refuse in there.  The longer the hallway of  the airlock, the less miasma that will escape.

Code: [Select]
XXXXXXXXX
X       XXX
X       D D
X       XXX
X       X
XXXXXXXXX

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2010, 06:04:31 am »

or you can dig all the way up to surface so refuse doesn't generate miasma. put a series of bridges over to close the zone when flying stuff comes

Astramancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2010, 06:18:22 am »

Seems like a lot of work,  if you're going to do that, might as well just dig a shaft all the way down to the Semi-molten rock so you can just pitch garbage down the chute from any zlevel.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2010, 08:22:09 am »

noooooooo!
my precious boltsones!
Pages: [1] 2 3