Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Uniforms "Over clothing" or "Replace clothing" ?  (Read 10513 times)

fyy0r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Uniforms "Over clothing" or "Replace clothing" ?
« on: October 06, 2010, 09:50:43 pm »

Does clothing have any real impact?  I'm kind of leaning towards trying "replace clothing"

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Uniforms "Over clothing" or "Replace clothing" ?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 09:58:37 pm »

If you max out your soldier's armor, go with replace.  If you are like me and just give them a mail shirt, hat, leggings, and boot, you may as well have them wear it over since the clothing provides a very small benefit and doesn't really restrict movement.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 09:59:15 pm »

Actually, clothes do provide some protection. From what I've heard, dresses* provide the most coverage. Material matters, too. Normal cloth isn't great, leather and possibly silk are decent, and the special spoilerific stuff works best(but wears out like all clothes do). And you can assign clothes as part of the uniform.

*Even for guys. And you won't be saying his dress looks stupid if he's four feet tall, armored in full steel, carries a huge axe, and is charging your way screaming profanities and battle cries.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
  • Know-it-all and bragart
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 10:06:49 pm »

Yea, unless your uniform will actually replace those clothes (with cotton candy clothes or something?  I dunno) then you'll be better off keeping them clothed.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 10:20:42 pm »

Who uses the cotton candy to make clothes, anyway?

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 10:21:49 pm »

Actually, clothes do provide some protection. From what I've heard, dresses* provide the most coverage. Material matters, too. Normal cloth isn't great, leather and possibly silk are decent, and the special spoilerific stuff works best(but wears out like all clothes do). And you can assign clothes as part of the uniform.

*Even for guys. And you won't be saying his dress looks stupid if he's four feet tall, armored in full steel, carries a huge axe, and is charging your way screaming profanities and battle cries.

Can a dwarf wearing a dress wear plate greaves over it? That seems like it would be -very- uncomfortable.
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 10:22:38 pm »

Can a dwarf wearing a dress wear plate greaves over it? That seems like it would be -very- uncomfortable.
The dress would act as a padding for the armor.
Unless said dress is one of those ultra-tight "fashion" dresses.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 10:25:21 pm »

What I mean is, you have a dress (two legs in one connected cloth tube) worn under plate pants (two legs in two separate tubes). Something would bunch up pretty awful or you'd have to cut holes in your dress.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 10:29:20 pm »

What I mean is, you have a dress (two legs in one connected cloth tube) worn under plate pants (two legs in two separate tubes). Something would bunch up pretty awful or you'd have to cut holes in your dress.
I don't think guys wear dresses anyways.
They wear trousers.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 10:30:55 pm »

Originally posted by Akura:

Unless by binging up gender you mean males would find it more uncomfortable because of... er... less room? But still, if you have a full-length dress and you bunch it up to put on plate pants... even a girl would find that pretty uncomfortable. Chafing from folded cloth, things like that.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 10:33:25 pm by EBannion »

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 11:33:47 pm »

I don't think guys wear dresses anyways.
They wear trousers.
No, they do.

Action Dress Rip.

Who uses the cotton candy to make clothes, anyway?
I do for one. Morul did. It makes simply WONDERFUL extra layer. Because if I understand it correctly, there is a bug where hits might only count one layer, and if that happens, I want the weakest layer, cloths, to be still strong.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 11:53:32 pm »

There IS a such thing as a dress parted in the middle.  It was used for riding horses, but would probably work in this situation as well.

meto30

• Bay Watcher
  • Maelstrom. As in whirlpool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2010, 04:18:34 am »

I like imagining dresses on dwarf men as them Roman tunics. Proper, too, since I always equip my soldiers with short swords and shields.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2011, 05:31:38 pm »

Because if I understand it correctly, there is a bug where hits might only count one layer, and if that happens, I want the weakest layer, cloths, to be still strong.

Excuse the thread necromancy, but is this true? The announcements certainly only always mention one layer, but since it's usually advised to put as much armor on your dwarves as possible (for example: not one mail shirt, but three) I thought all layers counted.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2011, 05:46:42 pm »

Well, I dunno about you lot, but somehow the thought of my dwarves charging into battle wearing plate or chainmail and nothing else makes me wince slightly. Think of the chafing!
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!
Pages: [1] 2