Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: what happened to the tile size?  (Read 683 times)

jackrabbitslim

• Bay Watcher
  • Erin go Bragh
    • View Profile
what happened to the tile size?
« on: October 06, 2010, 09:41:23 pm »

So i just dled .16 and it seems like the game resolution or the tileset size has been changed. My tiles used to be rectangular, short on top and bottom and long on the sides, but now its an even square and seems very low res. Is there any way to fix this?

Sorry for my piss poor description but I'm not very tech savy when it comes to the inner workings of programs.
I may be insane but I'm not crazy

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: what happened to the tile size?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 10:17:47 pm »

This is dependent on your init settings. To change it, enter your dwarf fortress folder/data/init/init.txt file, look for the [FONT:] or [FULLFONT] entries, depending on whether you play in windowed or fullscreen mode, and switch curses_640x300 to curses_800x600. You might also have to mess around with the screen resolution to get it perfect.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

jackrabbitslim

• Bay Watcher
  • Erin go Bragh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 10:24:59 pm »

meh kinda changed things but its still not the same. i can live with it though. thanks very much

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 10:33:20 pm »

meh kinda changed things but its still not the same. i can live with it though. thanks very much
Technically, the square tileset is the way things are "supposed" to look like anyway  ;D Regardless, if you really want things to look the same as before, dig up your old init file and copy the graphics settings from there, or just mess with the [WINDOWEDX], [WINDOWEDY], [FULLSCREENX], and [FULLSCREENY] settings until you're satisfied.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

jackrabbitslim

• Bay Watcher
  • Erin go Bragh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 10:36:07 pm »

ha ive been playing the screwed up way then for over a year. kinda hard to play it differently lol. but yeah im looking at my old int file actually and ive got it copied exactly the same for those lines, and its still wrong even after i restart the game.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 10:44:59 pm »

ha ive been playing the screwed up way then for over a year. kinda hard to play it differently lol. but yeah im looking at my old int file actually and ive got it copied exactly the same for those lines, and its still wrong even after i restart the game.
I'm guessing you swapped from one of the earlier 40d versions to 31.x? In the newer versions, the graphics engine was massively upgraded. In the old versions, the tiles were stretched in fullscreen by default, giving that rectangular-tile look that you're referring to. With the graphics updates in the 40d# series, that stretching was prevented, giving the intended square tileset much more easily. Since, as mentioned, the stretched-tile look wasn't/isn't intended, that's probably why you're not getting the same look anymore.

jackrabbitslim

• Bay Watcher
  • Erin go Bragh
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 10:57:11 pm »

no actually i switched from .14 to .16 and it happened. when i was in .14 it looked the same way as it always had.

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
  • Know-it-all and bragart
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 10:59:32 pm »

This isn't the first time I've seen this problem mentioned for .16
Looks to me that the default has just changed for some reason from 800x600 to 640x300 .
Apparently not, I've no idea.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 11:06:38 pm by BigJake »

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 11:01:03 pm »

This isn't the first time I've seen this problem mentioned for .16
Looks to me that the default has just changed for some reason from 800x600 to 640x300 .

The windowed default has always been 640x300... I don't know anything about the fullscreen default though since I play it windowed maximized so I can do other stuff on my second monitor.
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

jackrabbitslim

• Bay Watcher
  • Erin go Bragh
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 11:03:23 pm »

yeah when i tried switching to back to 800x600 like it says in the init file for full screen i didnt notice any sort of difference at all

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 11:31:00 pm »

Note: curses_800x600.png is artificially stretched to from a tilesize of 10x12 to 10x24 to give it that old-fashioned fullscreen look. The bmp version, however, is not. (Double note: apparently this has been changed in 0.31.15; both versions have 10x12 size tiles. Yay.)
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!