Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: City of the Cliffs  (Read 2299 times)

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
City of the Cliffs
« on: October 06, 2010, 09:02:16 pm »

So I'm embarking on a new site...   this one is a bit unusual.

4x4 embark.

There's a small area of flat ground on the north west end.  This is the lowest.  It's temperate freshwater swamp, with an aquifer. 

It then climbs up 115 z-levels (yes, that's right, 115 - it goes from Z105 to Z220) 64 because I embarked to the west slightly, up to a volcanic vent in the south east corner.*

I'm not sure what to build here.  Obviously, it's going to be some sort of cliff city.  There's barely enough room for the wagon here.

Also, there are no humans.  They were wiped out in world gen.  Only Elves, Dwarves and gobbos.  Oh, and gobbos there are!  My embark has 6 gobbo keeps within 20 region-level tiles.

*I love mods, told me this without me needing to embark, and then got these numbers wrong.  The actual base level is 148, but the rest is true - including the heights of the cliffs.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 04:56:29 am by Vehudur »
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

jjdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: City of the Cliffs
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 09:52:38 pm »

Pics or it didn't happen.  Also... world gen seeds if you're using .31.16.  Cause other people love cliff cities too, y'know.
Quote from: ledgekindred
I can see menacing spikes of iron, but only a true dorf can make menacing spikes of dog leather or pig tail cloth!  What if they suddenly start decorating all their artifacts with like ... like ... butterflies or something.
Quote from: Heavenfall
One of my artifacts had a butterfly on it.
Oh.  Oh.  Oh Armok I'm so sorry.

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 10:00:28 pm »

You should make the cliffs impassable, except for a small path with a floodgate at the top holding back the magma.

Zisteau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 10:45:00 pm »

Stonesense screenshots please. (or normal screenshots)

magistrate101

• Bay Watcher
  • That one kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 10:49:02 pm »

Stonesense screenshots please. (or normal screenshots)

this, but i really find it annoying when ppl spam "pics or it didn't happen"

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 10:50:36 pm »

It's more a case of "Pics so we can bask in the awesomeness."
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 11:39:42 pm »

I'll see what I can do, but I've never used any of that stuff before, so I'd probably screw it up the first few times.

Also, I fail at looking at biomes.  It's not swamp, I got that mixed up.  It's burning fucking desert.  But it still has an aquifer.

And flux stone of two types!  But one is a custom rock of mine, so that doesn't count.  The other is marble.

Pics or it didn't happen.  Also... world gen seeds if you're using .31.16.  Cause other people love cliff cities too, y'know.

Yes, I'm using .16, but it's a pre-gen terrain / volcanism map, so you'd need the whole damn file (seeds included, ofc)

Also, "Pics or it didn't happen" is quite annoying.  But I'll see what I can do.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 12:02:06 am »

Also, I decided, for framerate's sake, to embark slightly to the east - still getting the volcanic pipe, but a slightly-less-impressive but still badass 64 z-level drop.

Although, it's argueably more impressive, considering that 64 z-level drop is over 46 tiles, and in a very narrow stretch over only !!35!! tiles.

Also, could you please explain how I export an image of this to show you?  (you know, the stacked one where you can go through the layers?)  It really is badass.  And the multiple exposed kimberlite veins make it extra yummy.  Here the cliffs are so steep that I don't have a wagon.  Everything is sitting on the ground.

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2010, 12:29:25 am »

I embarked on a similar place, MAGICAL VOLCANO ISLAND.

to bad I neglected to bring an anvil with me.
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2010, 12:37:03 am »

I embarked on a similar place, MAGICAL VOLCANO ISLAND.

to bad I neglected to bring an anvil with me.

Reclaiming is good.

jjdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2010, 12:44:28 am »

:/

I actually couldn't care less about pics.  That was meant to be a joke, but it seems to have been taken far more seriously than I intended.  I'd actually be just fine with the random seeds.  Alas, It's been months on end since I've played DF, so I can't remember how to get at those values.
Quote from: ledgekindred
I can see menacing spikes of iron, but only a true dorf can make menacing spikes of dog leather or pig tail cloth!  What if they suddenly start decorating all their artifacts with like ... like ... butterflies or something.
Quote from: Heavenfall
One of my artifacts had a butterfly on it.
Oh.  Oh.  Oh Armok I'm so sorry.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2010, 01:10:07 am »

I doubt you'll end up with the same map because I used pre-genned terrain, but...

Seeds:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2010, 01:15:23 am »

I doubt you'll end up with the same map because I used pre-genned terrain, but...

Seeds:

If you use the "Export Local Image" function on the Options(escape) menu, one of the files created will be the world gen parameters as used by DF to generate the world, including anything from PerfectWorld or the World Painter (I assume one of these is what you mean by "Pre-genned"), in which case the only cause of disrepancies in the world generated would be if you've modded your raws for things like the Entity_default.txt (strangely, changing which portions of the dictionary are available to your civ for names & such affects geography).

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2010, 01:18:58 am »

Seeds:

If you use the "Export Local Image" function on the Options(escape) menu, one of the files created will be the world gen parameters as used by DF to generate the world, including anything from PerfectWorld or the World Painter (I assume one of these is what you mean by "Pre-genned"), in which case the only cause of disrepancies in the world generated would be if you've modded your raws for things like the Entity_default.txt (strangely, changing which portions of the dictionary are available to your civ for names & such affects geography).

Wait, so you want the entire region gen file?

I have not modified the Entity_default.txt, but I do have custom rock layers, which probably has the same effect...

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2010, 02:06:20 am »

Seeds:

Wait, so you want the entire region gen file?

I have not modified the Entity_default.txt, but I do have custom rock layers, which probably has the same effect...
Custom Rocks probably does change it, but I haven't tried it, so can't say for certain (I know removing Aquifers has no effect though).

Using "Export Local Image" exports a picture of each the selected levels (I recommend only doing 1), the World History, the World Sites, & the World Gen Parameters used for the world in question.

Not the entire World gen file.
Pages: [1] 2