Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Safer Atom Smashing  (Read 1706 times)

Moosey

• Bay Watcher
  • [moose brute extract]
    • View Profile
Safer Atom Smashing
« on: October 06, 2010, 07:35:51 pm »

I may have stumbled upon a form of atom smashing that's completely non-mechanical and has no risk of accidental death (yeah, yeah, un-dwarfy, I know).  It involves no drawbridges or siege engines, just a mason and a door or window.  I don't know if this is entirely new science or not, but a casual search didn't find it in the wiki or here in the forum.

The idea is to set up an obstacle that keeps items placed above it from falling down into its square but doesn't register as a floor on the Z-level above.  So far, I've found this can be done with windows and closed doors.  We can then construct a structure in this square above the obstacle.  When the structure is completed, anything that used to be in that space will vanish, completely removed from the game world as far as I can tell.

I've illustrated how this works:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I discovered this in version 31.14, so I can't speak for other versions.
Backs to the wheel
There's granite to shove

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Safer Atom Smashing
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 07:52:30 pm »

This is cool, though not nearly as efficient as conventional atom smashing.

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
  • Know-it-all and bragart
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 07:53:46 pm »

Thank you for your !!SCIENCE!!

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 07:54:23 pm »

'safe'? That word sounds elfy to me! DAMN YOU ELVES! Always trying to turn us to your evil elfy ways!

On a less silly note, this is cool but I would rather go the normal way myself.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Moosey

• Bay Watcher
  • [moose brute extract]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 07:59:00 pm »

This is cool, though not nearly as efficient as conventional atom smashing.

If you use a garbage dump zone, you can eliminate as much crap as you want with a single order.  You could even have a garbage pit on the next Z-level up that you can use at any time, and just redo the floor below occasionally.
Backs to the wheel
There's granite to shove

Moosey

• Bay Watcher
  • [moose brute extract]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 07:59:37 pm »

'safe'? That word sounds elfy to me! DAMN YOU ELVES! Always trying to turn us to your evil elfy ways!

Hey man, relax!  Let's have a sip of prickleberry wine and talk this out. :>
Backs to the wheel
There's granite to shove

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
  • Know-it-all and bragart
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 08:00:18 pm »

Is the initial floor necessary?  Could you just drop them onto the doors?

Vicid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 08:01:09 pm »

Have a pit to dump in. At the bottom is a walled off ised drawbridge. Done

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 08:02:20 pm »

the thing is, it takes considerably longer to execute. admittedly, its the difference between 30 seconds and 5, but still.

Moosey

• Bay Watcher
  • [moose brute extract]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 08:03:59 pm »

Is the initial floor necessary?  Could you just drop them onto the doors?

You could indeed.  But you can't actually walk on top of a closed door or window, is the thing that makes this work, or else the mason would move the junk out of the way.
Backs to the wheel
There's granite to shove

Moosey

• Bay Watcher
  • [moose brute extract]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 08:06:31 pm »

the thing is, it takes considerably longer to execute. admittedly, its the difference between 30 seconds and 5, but still.

But it's something you can do without a mechanic..  y'know, if you ABSOLUTELY NEED to smash stuff right at embark.  Like for instance..  uh.....

Okay, I got nothing.
Backs to the wheel
There's granite to shove

Diacritic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 08:14:53 pm »

It's pretty cool for when I don't want to waste three mechanisms just for smashing stuff, at least.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2010, 09:56:46 pm »

Hey man, relax!  Let's have a sip of prickleberry wine and talk this out. :>

I lol'd. (if that was an intended joke)

It's pretty cool for when I don't want to waste three mechanisms just for smashing stuff, at least.
Good if your short on stone. (although 98% of the dumping is usually to get rid of stone.) The method is pretty awesome, too. Maybe someone should post it on magma wiki?

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2010, 01:49:18 am »

I see a major issue with this: the items still existing.

You weren't especially specific about ways you've checked to see if the items still exist but I highly suspect that they still show up on the stocks screen. You can also make items seem to disappear by freezing them in ice and then melting the ice (they fall out if you mine out the ice instead.)
Well, that just might have changed since 40d but I don't see why it would have gathered much attention.

The problem though was that the items still registered as existing with a whole location on the map you could zoom to and such. This still takes up memory so you don't free up any computer resources. Atom smashing is a special case where the game flat out says "ok, we squished that so it's off the lists." I don't it fully frees up the memory of smashed things either but it definitely frees up part of it whereas this? Well, if you get an FPS boost after getting rid of something like 20,000 stone like this then it's actually valid, maybe.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Moosey

• Bay Watcher
  • [moose brute extract]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2010, 10:49:55 am »

You weren't especially specific about ways you've checked to see if the items still exist but I highly suspect that they still show up on the stocks screen. You can also make items seem to disappear by freezing them in ice and then melting the ice (they fall out if you mine out the ice instead.)
Well, that just might have changed since 40d but I don't see why it would have gathered much attention.

No, I did this to all the wooden bolts that were laying around my training yard, and now they're not listed on the stocks screen anymore.

And yes, a bunch of iron bolts fell in the river and froze, and they have the behavior you describe of being gone from the world but still in the stocks screen.
Backs to the wheel
There's granite to shove
Pages: [1] 2