Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10

Author Topic: How To Farm (versions 0.31.x through 0.42.x)  (Read 318214 times)

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How To Farm in 0.31.x (DF2010)
« Reply #60 on: May 27, 2011, 07:50:58 am »

If the plot is marked as "Outside", then you channeled through from the surface, and now your plot is an aboveground plot, not an underground plot.  So it follows the rules for aboveground plots -- especially the rules about biomes.  If this tile is in a Mountain biome, you'll never be able to grow any crops there.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Zhaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 11, 2011, 09:27:26 am »

I am a bit confused on one thing. So, I made a cute little farm plot one level underground, channeled above it, zoned a pond, dwarves poured water down, water dried and left the tiles with "a slight dusting of mud" etc and the plots were also marked as outside but, when I tried to build a plot there it said no mud or soil is available. Any ideas?

I tried this in a recent fort, even though it said no soil or mud when I created the plot I was still able to plant several types of above ground crops.
Urist: It's 106 miles from the mountainhomes, we got a full wagon of gas, half a pick of cigarettes, it's dark down there, and we're wearing sunglasses.
Catten: Hit it.
Damn you vile character limit!!!

nitus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 22, 2011, 04:58:30 pm »

I've had an interesting side-effect, perhaps a bug, from channeling into an underground farm. Actually I was channeling several zlevels above it and had a cave-in that drove a hole down several zlevels to the farm.

When I floored over the holes and rebuilt the farm plots, surprise: they can now grow EVERY crop. All underground grops and all aboveground crops. It may be connected to the biome/soil type because it's difficult to replicate.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 27, 2011, 12:12:57 pm »

even though there was mud & sand listed on the ground, when you went to build the farm plot you'd get the message in yellow that 'This square doesnt have any mud'. HOWEVER, you could build the plot there anyway, and once you did, farming worked just fine.

The same thing happens to me, too. Whenever I try to place an above-ground Farm Plot (like I always do, I like making my Dwarves live like Humans), it says in yellow lettering, "No mud or soil for farm". But it always lets me place a plot there. I think this is a bug.

ffaerie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 04, 2011, 09:15:44 pm »

even though there was mud & sand listed on the ground, when you went to build the farm plot you'd get the message in yellow that 'This square doesnt have any mud'. HOWEVER, you could build the plot there anyway, and once you did, farming worked just fine.

The same thing happens to me, too. Whenever I try to place an above-ground Farm Plot (like I always do, I like making my Dwarves live like Humans), it says in yellow lettering, "No mud or soil for farm". But it always lets me place a plot there. I think this is a bug.

In grassland biomes planting longland grass works, in mountain biomes it doesn't. Sometimes there are ehm difficulties determing the border of biome, which can't be a surprise to us by now, can it be? May have to do with evil-savagery scale, because in good tropical savannah or grassland I received 'no seeds for this location', mhm.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 06, 2011, 01:38:01 pm »

Do I have to reflood my farm plots every year?

ZeroSumHappiness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 06, 2011, 02:21:17 pm »

No.

Tibbz2

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what this does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 06, 2011, 02:47:15 pm »

Do I have to reflood my farm plots every year?
Nope, once is enough... And thats if you even need to flood it at all (soil ftw)
THE DEMONS ESCAPED MY ICE TRAP AND NOW MY LAST WARRIOR IS SMACKING THEM ALL DOWN WITH HER DECEASED TODDLER OH GOD THE BOOZE JUST EXPLODED AND THERE'S SMOKE AND FIRE EVERYWHERE JESUS CHRIST.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 16, 2011, 01:37:48 am »

My farm plot is really really slow.  I'm one ground below top.  I have flooded it (twice).  The plots are marked as inside.  I have prolly 10 4x10 plots.  I'm randomly fertiziling a few of them (let's say 40%), and turning on Sea Ferts.  Yet, my production of food is slow.  They act like their not fertilized.  My fortress has been going on for about 10 years.  Am I missing something.  I believe the cave floor is clay.

Figured it out!

Need more farmer's!

I had a huge farming area, and the fertilizing resets each season (i.e. you lose all your fert'd fields, have to start over).  So each season, a crop grows.  And with multiple fields and few resources/people, that doesn't happen, so you have to assign more people to farming. (say 2-3 per plot)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 07:37:50 pm by thistleknot »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 01, 2011, 07:57:57 am »

no, it isnt.
If the text is RED it really doesnt have it
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Rapozk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 21, 2012, 07:48:38 am »

no, it isnt.
If the text is RED it really doesnt have it

If it says it isn't there but there is there anyway it seems like a bug to me..

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 22, 2012, 07:48:03 pm »

Whenever I try to place an above-ground Farm Plot (like I always do, I like making my Dwarves live like Humans), it says in yellow lettering, "No mud or soil for farm". But it always lets me place a plot there. I think this is a bug.

If it says it isn't there but there is there anyway it seems like a bug to me..

I believe this is bug #555.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How To Farm in 0.31.x and 0.34.x (DF2010/2012)
« Reply #72 on: February 26, 2012, 01:06:28 am »

Hi there

I've been playing since the 31 editions started, but I still have no idea if fertilising the fields does (or has never done) anything...

Can anyone cast any light on this?

Cheers!

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

drivec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 29, 2012, 03:35:18 am »

edit:opps thread looks just like the little questions thread my bad.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 03:46:28 am by drivec »

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 01, 2012, 08:13:57 am »

I've been playing since the 31 editions started, but I still have no idea if fertilising the fields does (or has never done) anything...

I suspect there has been very little Dwarven Science performed with fertilizer in the last couple years.  Most people seem to ignore it as being too much hassle.

I played with it a bit last night.  I can confirm that it definitely increases plot yields -- I got a stack of plump helmet (7) in the first season.  I played with the interface a bit, and I rewrote the fertilization section of the farming page on the wiki based on what I learned.

I suspect that the mechanics of fertilizer are completely unchanged since 40d, but nobody knows the exact formulas (either then or now).
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10