Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Farming problems  (Read 2369 times)

khanser

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Farming problems
« on: October 06, 2010, 02:02:29 pm »

Hi,

I'm totally newb. I'm following some tutorials but i'm having a little problem here. I can build a 3x3 Farm Plot in a silt loam cavern floor but in building tasks mode i can't see the seeds but i have them.

I have 5 dimple cup spawn, 5 cave wheat seeds, 5 sweet pod seeds, 5 pig tail seeds and 5 rock nuts.

What am i missing here?

Thnx

Lezowski

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Farming problems
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 02:12:32 pm »

It's probably winter, you can only grow plump helmets and dimple cups in this season.

khanser

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 02:15:08 pm »

« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 02:16:47 pm by khanser »

rntrndrw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 02:38:27 pm »

I believe they will only grow year round if the farm is underground and not exposed to the outside.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 02:47:50 pm »

and irrigated.  you must irrigate underground crops.  So, make sure it has never been exposed to sunlight, ((d)ig it out not c(h)annel it out for underground crops,) and has been coated with water either from a (i) zone which you set to (p)ond, or a murky pool you drained to the farm plot, or a lake/river/stream/brook you diverted to the farm plots (with a floodgate hooked to a lever!)
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 03:45:02 pm »

Needs mud.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 03:49:26 pm »

We REALLY need a sticky in this forum thats titles 'HAVING TROUBLE FARMING IN 2010??' with a rundown of how to set up subterranean farms in 2010..  I swear this question comes up at least once a day  :o
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Kearn

• Bay Watcher
  • insert witty tagline here
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 04:00:28 pm »

it needs mud

it's really just an annoying bug, you need mud to farm underground no matter what
i like goats

rntrndrw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 04:51:52 pm »

Is it really a bug? I mean it makes sense that the ground needs water.

And sure it USED to be different.

You were once able to farm on ground with no water.

But that seems more like a bug to me.

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 05:31:21 pm »

You were able to farm in "soil" types without water underground. It makes sense, because whenever you breach your first underground cavern that has underground plants, both underground and above ground plants will start growing on any soil type tiles that you have uncovered (ie, tunneled). Uncovering the cavern gives you the BONUS of plants growing on soil without water.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

LuckyLuigi

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Ever Savescum
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 05:45:45 pm »

I don't think you can actually build a farm plot on non-muddy ground (might be wrong)

Assuming that you've build the farm on muddy ground make sure that you've viewed it with 'q' and assigned a crop for each season 'a', 'b', 'c' and 'd'. Took me a year gametime before I figured out why my farms were only working in spring :) Also, a dwarf must have farming fields enabled of course.
Check out Time Denee's brilliant DF comics of Bronzemurder and Oilfurnace.

Batdwarf Forever !

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 05:56:46 pm »

I don't think you can actually build a farm plot on non-muddy ground (might be wrong)

Assuming that you've build the farm on muddy ground make sure that you've viewed it with 'q' and assigned a crop for each season 'a', 'b', 'c' and 'd'. Took me a year gametime before I figured out why my farms were only working in spring :) Also, a dwarf must have farming fields enabled of course.

You CAN build the plot, but if you are paying attention, you will see a warning in red and yellow on the right that says something along the lines of 'no seeds for plot' if there is no mud.  You can muddy the plot afterward and the seeds will be enabled.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
  • Know-it-all and bragart
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2010, 06:00:15 pm »

And just for clarification, if even a single tile under the plot isn't muddy then nothing will grow in that plot.

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2010, 06:02:27 pm »

LuckyLuigi, sure you can build a plot on non-mud. It just won't work after its built unless the plot is above ground on a soil type.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2010, 06:18:16 pm »

We REALLY need a sticky in this forum thats titles 'HAVING TROUBLE FARMING IN 2010??' with a rundown of how to set up subterranean farms in 2010..  I swear this question comes up at least once a day  :o

I couldn't agree more.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz
Pages: [1] 2