Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [38c Mac-intel] Intermittent crashes/weirdness  (Read 487 times)

Dwarfler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[38c Mac-intel] Intermittent crashes/weirdness
« on: March 15, 2008, 05:03:00 pm »

First: I love this game.  Thank you, thank you for finally releasing it for Mac OS X.  I have been drooling over it for quite some time.

I notice that after having the Dwarf Fortress application running for awhile, I sometimes see artifacts flickering on and off on random parts of the DF screen.  They're usually little yellow blocks.  If I save, quit and start again, they go away.

I have also experienced a couple of odd freezes, where everything completely locks up.  The mouse is unresponsive, keyboard input is ignored, etc.  This never happened before I started playing DF and it only happens when the application is running (altho it doesn't have to be in the foreground), so I suspect it is related to the game.  It does not appear to be directly related to any particular in-game action or event.

Is there any log file or other info I could pass along that would make these problems easier to debug?

Why do I like Dwarf Fortress so much?  It's hard to learn, harder to play, and downright impossible to win.

I mean, what's not to like?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: [38c Mac-intel] Intermittent crashes/weirdness
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 08:23:00 pm »

I don't have any ideas.  There's nothing it logs that will help in this case.  If anybody has any further reports or clues on this one, I'd welcome them of course.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 08:27:00 pm »

This isn't really helpful, but I can definitely report that I haven't seen this kind of thing on my own Intel Mac. That sucks though, so I hope the cause (and then the solution) is found.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 01:02:00 am »

It's remotely possible that the Console will have something (Applications/Utilities/Console) even though DF doesn't log anything itself. Worth taking a look, anyway.

For what it's worth, I've had no crashing problems on my iMac.

Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 07:34:00 am »

Hey there,

I'm another Mac user.  Just downloaded the game a week or two ago and love it.

I had a similar problem when I started playing and I'm on a PPC mac.  However, it stopped happening after the first few days.