Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tissue Issues  (Read 699 times)

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tissue Issues
« on: October 06, 2010, 10:01:46 am »

I've been working on a caste of dwarf with stone-like skin, hence the name stone-touched, but my attempts at making natural armor for them has been pretty abysmal and cost alot of dwarves their precious limbs in the arena. Seems like the material I'm substituting for their skin isn't working out too well.

Here's what I'm trying to accomplish. I want the skin of these dwarves to be able to take a blow from an iron sword without losing a limb. Not so much that they can shrug off anything but an Artifact Cotton-Candy Sword but enough that they don't get butcher when facing regular edged weapons without armor. I assume making something hard and rigid enough to withstand a sword strike will make it vulnerable to blunt weapons but everything needs a weakness so I'm not too broken up about it.

Here's what I've got going on
The Material
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Tissue Template
Body Detail Plan
Aaaand the Actual Creature

So far there really is no noticeable difference in survivability between a stone-touched dwarf and a vanilla dwarfin combat.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 11:17:54 am by Smitehappy »
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tissue Issues
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 03:22:27 pm »

I see a STONESKIN_TISSUES body detail plan, but no STONESKIN_MATERIALS.  Did you forget to make one, or did you just not post it?  It'll have the line [ADD_MATERIAL:STONESKIN:STONESKIN_TEMPLATE] somewhere in it.

In any case, the extra body detail plans are unnecessary unless you plan to make sweeping changes or reuse the template a lot.  I'd just do this:

Code: [Select]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_MATERIALS]
[REMOVE_MATERIAL:SKIN]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:STONESKIN:STONESKIN_TEMPLATE]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_TISSUES]
[REMOVE_TISSUE:SKIN]
[USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:SKIN:STONESKIN_TEMPLATE]

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 03:51:40 pm »

I see a STONESKIN_TISSUES body detail plan, but no STONESKIN_MATERIALS.  Did you forget to make one, or did you just not post it?  It'll have the line [ADD_MATERIAL:STONESKIN:STONESKIN_TEMPLATE] somewhere in it.

Yeah it's there, I just forgot to post it. I have all materials working it's just not performing like I'd like it to.

In any case, the extra body detail plans are unnecessary unless you plan to make sweeping changes or reuse the template a lot.  I'd just do this:

Normally I'd do just that but they're different in more than just the physical aspect so I kept them separate out of simplicity. I didn't post all the creature raw but it goes on to add different cosmetic appearances like rock-colors for their skin, casteProfessions, attributes and the like .
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 10:11:23 pm »

Normally I'd do just that but they're different in more than just the physical aspect so I kept them separate out of simplicity. I didn't post all the creature raw but it goes on to add different cosmetic appearances like rock-colors for their skin, casteProfessions, attributes and the like.
Of course there are other differences, but that has nothing to do with whether you should use an extra body detail plan or not.  Raws are modular that way.

Anyway.  Looking at the raws, I think I see your problem.  Your stoneskin has a shear yield of 15000, which is actually less than skin's shear yield of 20000.  Apparently stone is much better at resisting blunt weapons than edged ones.

Dial up all the yield and fracture values to 120000, and you should see a big difference.