Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress has ruined my sense of logic  (Read 8952 times)

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress has ruined my sense of logic
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2010, 10:59:57 am »

Geothermal power is amazing and nearly limitless. All you do is dig a deep pit, pour water into that pit, and then when the water turns into steam use the steam to run turbines.

Limitless energy anywhere on the planet. It runs day and night, generates no pollution at all, and only requires a source of water to run. You can recycle most of the water as well. Once it runs through the turbine let the steam condense and cool back into water, then pump the water underground again.

I'm still unsure why geothermal is not used more often.
Technicly the water is recycled automaticly, as it turns into steam, clean hot water in gas form.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2010, 11:03:22 am »

Geothermal power is amazing and nearly limitless. All you do is dig a deep pit, pour water into that pit, and then when the water turns into steam use the steam to run turbines.

Limitless energy anywhere on the planet. It runs day and night, generates no pollution at all, and only requires a source of water to run. You can recycle most of the water as well. Once it runs through the turbine let the steam condense and cool back into water, then pump the water underground again.

because its a pain in the ass almost everywhere except iceland
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2010, 11:14:59 am »

Technicly the water is recycled automaticly, as it turns into steam, clean hot water in gas form.

Yes, but if you don't pump it back underground it just floats away as steam, which then turns into rain elsewhere. Nuclear reactors churn out massive amounts of steam, but this is why nuclear reactors are built next to rivers or lakes to provide the huge amounts of water. If water isn't as plentiful then the water would need to be recycled and pumped back underground.

Geothermal can be depleted through for each site, but its just an issue of you have X amount of thermal energy at the site. If you are trying to produce more than X amount of power its going to start to go cold. To increase X you need to dig deeper. The deeper you go the more heat there is, and so the higher the maximum production of the borehole.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2010, 11:36:26 am »

This is why we should build magma rigs on active volcanoes, so that the magma comes to us instead of us digging down to the magma and burning to death in the consequent eruption because we needed to haul that sock that fell in the volcano or something.

too bad volcanoes erupt and spew sulphur, and ash everywhere. if not chunks of rock. bad idea to have a building on top of that hmm?

I just had the mental image of a building rocketing into the sky because of the pressure

No, it would be rocketing into the sky in a million pieces.

Volcanoes build up enough pressure to literally blow the tops off mountains.  Nothing we could possibly build could contain that.  We don't even know exactly how much pressure is actually there - we can't build anything that will last long enough to measure it.

Brain food inside:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, geothermal power is pure awesomeness, but it's so hard to get down as far as you need in most places.  Or, you can move to Iceland.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

decius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2010, 12:24:48 pm »

Yes, but if you don't pump it back underground it just floats away as steam, which then turns into rain elsewhere. Nuclear reactors churn out massive amounts of steam, but this is why nuclear reactors are built next to rivers or lakes to provide the huge amounts of water. If water isn't as plentiful then the water would need to be recycled and pumped back underground.

Geothermal can be depleted through for each site, but its just an issue of you have X amount of thermal energy at the site. If you are trying to produce more than X amount of power its going to start to go cold. To increase X you need to dig deeper. The deeper you go the more heat there is, and so the higher the maximum production of the borehole.

More properly, nuclear reactors use rivers to condense the steam and recycle the same water for the turbines. River water has lots of dissolved minerals that steam turbines don't like, and reactor water has Fun products of fast neutron bombadment that organic molecules, like DNA, don't like. Some systems have 3 loops, 2 closed, one open, for reactor water:turbine water:river/ocean water. Closed lakes are a poor choice for cooling water, since the end result is heating up the entire lake.
TBH, I think that all dwarf fortress problem solving falls either on the "Rube Goldberg" method, or the "pharaonic" one.
{Unicorns} produce more bones if the werewolf rips them apart before they die.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2010, 12:41:18 pm »

Yes, you're going to be using a closed loop regardless of what kind of power plant it is. But you still need to be able to cool the liquid in the closed loop, and that liquid does not always need to be water. Molten sodium is sometimes used in some nuclear power plants. The easiest way to condense a hot substance is to run it through water. This transfers the heat to the water, and if the substance is very hot the cooling water will turn into steam.

If you can build your power plant next to a natural source of water, like a river or a very large lake you're fine. If there is less water in the area then you're going to need to conserve the water and recycle it rather than let it float off into the air as steam.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2010, 01:13:28 pm »

Nuclear reactors are wonderful, except when they're built poorly, like a certain Ukrainian reactor...
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2010, 01:36:11 pm »

As mentioned above it's quite hard to reach in most places.  Not to mention that you have to be reasonably close to the heat to prevent the water from cooling by the time it reaches your turbines.  So if you have to dig down 7+ miles to reach a suitable site you have to BUILD the power plant there.

Plus many of the gasses released by the geothermal site itself are rather corrosive.  Any machinery you build has to be able to resist that or it falls apart pretty quickly.  Which is quite expensive.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2010, 01:53:48 pm »

<recycled water>

<need to contain the water>

<stuff>

Then build it in the rain forest.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2010, 02:40:31 pm »

<recycled water>

<need to contain the water>

<stuff>

Then build it in the rain forest.
brilliant all our problems are solved!!! hallelujah uristimiknorris has saved us all!!!  :D :o :-X
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

NightmareBros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2010, 04:13:23 pm »

I still think building on top of the volcano is a good Dwarfy idea if you build one of those stacks you often see at steel works on it.
And then did some other stuff like add lava flood release controls, put pipes suicidly close to the magma to get near-instant condensation and thus geothermal power, make supports for the stack so that rocks and earthquakes won't make it fall over and dump magma everywhere like a badly built BoatMurdered, but lots and lots of buidlings in a perimeter around the volcano, channel a moat for the lava to collect and stop melting people and buildings, Build a noble's bedroom in the middle of the stack that just so happens to dissatatch at the push of a button...

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2010, 05:23:27 pm »

The problem with building on a volcano is that a volcanic eruption is generally preceded by earthquakes, typically severe ones.

Also(and don't quote my poor geology knowledge on this), the volcano is usually only active for a short time(the eruption), which is the only time a thermal reactor would be useful. The reason that geothermal power is effective in Iceland is because it's located right on top of a tectonic split, where the crust plates are seperating, creating a nice little canyon right into the molten layer. It might also be feasable in Hawaii, which is located on top of(and is being formed from) a hotspot.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2010, 05:45:03 pm »

or we could always just put a giant mirror in space and use the heat from that to drill down to the magma! oh... wait.....

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2010, 06:00:25 pm »

You can get heat anywhere, its just easier to do it where the crust is thinner. That means less digging needs to be done. In the case of Hawaii you don't need to dig at all, lava just sort of spews out all over the place on its own.

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2010, 06:23:21 pm »

Earthquakes.

When you pump extra water down into the rock like that, you get a lot of quakes. Do that near a major fault, and the worry is that it will trigger a MAJOR eruption, as the water is reducing the friction between the plates, which is what is preventing another quake.

Federal goverment won't even allow companies in the US to do this near major faults or cities or "Other important areas or structures" now.

What is allowed is to drill a few hundred feet down, and run a tube down and back. Cold water pumped through that tube will return very warm in most places of the US. Better than solar heated water.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4