Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Is there any way to avoid the caverns?  (Read 1514 times)

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is there any way to avoid the caverns?
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2010, 10:23:19 pm »

Also assign your miners the masonery skill, for faster brick-ups
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

candylord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2010, 11:44:33 pm »

Can flying FBs fly diagonally upwards though?
Statistically, one in twenty of us live next door to a pedophile. Not me though, I live next door to a stunning pair of seven year olds

bcd1024

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2010, 01:37:19 am »

You guys are missing out on crundle killing awesomeness.

My fort is half powered by crundles. Delicious roasts, sharp bolts, and skull totems for trade. 
This is a feature, not a bug, correct?
You're playing Dwarf Fortress.  There isn't much of a distinction.

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2010, 04:46:56 pm »

Sometimes, you just want the free underground plants or to get to the magma.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

rogueleader25

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2010, 04:50:07 pm »

One of the serious problems with constructed walls is that half the time the mason will wall themselves in and die of dehydration if you aren't paying close attention...

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2010, 04:57:45 pm »

Can flying FBs fly diagonally upwards though?
No.

One of the serious problems with constructed walls is that half the time the mason will wall themselves in and die of dehydration if you aren't paying close attention...
There are ways around that:he suspended dummy wall being the easiest. Order walls to be constructed where you don't want your mason to be standing and suspend those walls. Then after the main wall is constructed, you can cancel those constructions. I can think of 3 other ways too but this method has been reliable for me.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2010, 05:02:35 pm »

Suspended wall trick works very well. Rarely do I have to resort to other techniques thanks to that.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

INSANEcyborg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2010, 05:12:04 pm »

You don't have to turn off all of the caverns.  You can set it to 1 cavern, and you'll still have most of the stuff it provides.  I say most because sometimes a cavern will be missing a plant or tree type, and with only one you won't get a second chance to get it.  But you will still have access to stuff that would only be on the 3rd level.  My fort has 1 cavern and it has everything except for tunnel tubes and black caps.  It will also make it a lot shallower, if that's a problem increase the size between layers.
Pages: 1 [2]