Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Is there any way to avoid the caverns?  (Read 1519 times)

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is there any way to avoid the caverns?
« on: October 06, 2010, 06:45:25 am »

I'd like to get to the tasty blue stuff without having to go through the caverns and risk all kinds of fun (not that mining out the blue stuff wont lead to gratuitous amounts of fun, anyway...). Is there any way of doing this without getting rid of caverns all together? I like my mushrooms...
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is there any way to avoid the caverns?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 06:47:47 am »

Just turn on masonry labor for every dwarf and brick up any breaches as you dig, it's not really very dangerous if you don't screw around.

candylord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 07:27:36 am »

If you're careful with DFreveal, I spose you could just plot a shaft that managed to dodge all of the caverns, I spose...
Statistically, one in twenty of us live next door to a pedophile. Not me though, I live next door to a stunning pair of seven year olds

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 08:30:13 am »

Just turn on masonry labor for every dwarf and brick up any breaches as you dig, it's not really very dangerous if you don't screw around.

Can walls not be destroyed by building destroyer enemies?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

doctorspoof

• Bay Watcher
  • [FIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 08:40:58 am »

Constructed walls can only be destroyed by your dorfs.

If you really don't want any caverns at all you can turn them off in the world gen settings, and it means the tasty blue stuff will be higher up too.
The best way to avoid tantrum spirals is to make sure no-one lives long enough to make any friends.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 08:59:56 am »

If you really don't want any caverns at all you can turn them off in the world gen settings, and it means the tasty blue stuff will be higher up too.

There's just one problem with that - without subterranean water, there will be no subterranean plants in the entire world.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

doctorspoof

• Bay Watcher
  • [FIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 09:10:41 am »

Hence why I dig through and wall off the entrance.

Nothing stopping you from making an above-ground farm for tasty whip vine :)
The best way to avoid tantrum spirals is to make sure no-one lives long enough to make any friends.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 09:23:25 am »

Nothing stopping you from making an above-ground farm for tasty whip vine :)

The sun, you elf :P

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 03:48:27 pm »

If you're careful with DFreveal, I spose you could just plot a shaft that managed to dodge all of the caverns, I spose...
You don't even necessarily have to be careful or use outside help. I got my miners to dig a 2x2 shaft down to get to the caverns in one game a couple of weeks ago and somehow missed the first two caverns entirely, and if I'd been digging just one tile to the east I'd have missed the third cavern as well. Dug another 2x2 shaft in another area of the fort and again missed the first cavern ::)
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

jiggymonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 04:53:48 pm »

Ultranoob question:  I have not seen "brick up" command.  Which of the command menus might I find that under?  My mine has way too many exits to the surface.

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 05:03:36 pm »

Use (b)uild (C)onstruction (w)all.

The (C)onstruction menu allows you to build walls, floors, stairs, and other items in empty spaces, rather than having to "dig" them out of the ground. Allows you to make changes to stuff you've dug (ie, dig out a gold ore vein, then wall it off because you breached a cavern while following the vein).
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

Auto Slaughter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 05:04:25 pm »

Like pushy I've done pretty well just digging straight down.  On a desert map with no fuel I sunk a staircase all the way down to level 0.  I hit the caverns in a couple of places but usually I could simply wall up the opening I'd made and on the last clear level tunnel over to somewhere I could see  as solid rock on the cavern level, and continue going down.
Legendary Idler
“There's nothing better than a party that turns into a death trap.”

               — Russell T Davies, Doctor Who writer, speaking of some of his more popular plot lines

jiggymonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2010, 05:32:01 pm »

Use (b)uild (C)onstruction (w)all.

The (C)onstruction menu allows you to build walls, floors, stairs, and other items in empty spaces, rather than having to "dig" them out of the ground. Allows you to make changes to stuff you've dug (ie, dig out a gold ore vein, then wall it off because you breached a cavern while following the vein).

awesome thank you!

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
  • Know-it-all and bragart
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2010, 06:04:27 pm »

If you run into the top of a cavern with a stairway you could also simply build an up stair ((b)-(C)-(u)) on top of the up/down stair you dug.  That will cut off the stairwell and allow the dwarf building it to still get back up.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2010, 06:58:22 pm »

Yeah lately I just go straight down also, although e.g. when you hit water obviously you have to dig in a different direction.
Pages: [1] 2