Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven Civil War?  (Read 1293 times)

candylord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarven Civil War?
« on: October 06, 2010, 05:18:53 am »

Okay, currently my dwarves are ripping each other apart, whilst I watch in vague horror
I stuffed up, and ordered my dwarves to wipe out the dwarven caravan, cause I realised that my offerings pulled me into being worthy of a kingship, which I'm REALLY not in the mood to deal with (yeah, that and I need the lye :P) so I panicked. I ordered the massacre of a dwarven caravan, to my eternal shame
Then I watched, as one by one my military started dropping. At first I was like O.O these dwarves must be freaking well trained
Keep in mind that my fortress is was a fully mature 20 year fortress with a danger room trained miltiary of 70 Legendary Panic room dwarves. A fortress that has successfully managed to wrest the depths of the circus from its clowns without suffering a SINGLE loss or wound...
And this dwarven caravan was dominating me...
So you can imagine my shock when one after the other, my military started dying off
then I took a look at my combat records
It was full of "The Spearmaster hacks the Hammer Lord in the lower body with her Othossarek, but the attack is deflected by the Hammer lords Masterwork steel greaves" and stuff
Yes, my dwarves are RIPPING into each other
In terms of in game time, the slaughter has lasted 12 in game days, and my fully functioning 20 year old dwarven fortress of 130 members, including 70 Legendary military dwarves, with a value of... I don't even know cause my broker died apparently.... now has 29 members left.... strangely enough all of them are ecstatic (except a pair of my smiths, which are fine) O.o...

In case you're interested, it seems that the list of military dwarves
20 Hammer lords
20 Axe Lords
10 Spear Masters
10 Master Lashers

Edit: The fighting seems to have stopped
Leaving me with
6 Hammer Lords
9 Axe Lords
3 Spear Master
1 Master Lasher
and 3 Armor/WeaponSmiths, whom I believe spent the whole time quietly working deep in my magma forges blissfully unaware of the... slaughter occurring above
Yeah, the axes did surprisingly well for themselves
Also, the combat was surprisingly fast, cause not once did I see a block or a dodge....
In other news, my FPS has picked up from 10 to 50....
:P

Guys, A, is this a bug, and B, should I save scum, or attempt to salvage my situation?
I enough booze to last my 29 surviving dwarves.... 64 years
and enough prepared meals to last... 105.... O.o

Edit2: At least I don't have to worry about a king any time soon...
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 05:24:25 am by candylord »
Statistically, one in twenty of us live next door to a pedophile. Not me though, I live next door to a stunning pair of seven year olds

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Civil War?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 05:56:53 am »

I vote salvage. And I think, and I might be wrong here, It's becouse when a dwarf attacks another dwarf from your civ they are no longer consitered part of your civ, thus they are an enemy. But I could be wrong.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

candylord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 06:24:10 am »

Problem with attempting to salavage though is... it doesn't really make things any more "Fun"
As I said, I've alraedy taken over hell, and all 21 dwarves I have left are ecstatic legendary +5 in all combat skills, AND I have over 6 decades of food and drinks...
right now all there is for this fortress to do is mega projects and cleaning up, and having only 21 dwarves... slows that down considerably
Statistically, one in twenty of us live next door to a pedophile. Not me though, I live next door to a stunning pair of seven year olds

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 07:35:37 am »

What you are experiencing is called a Loyalty Cascade.  It's what happens when you order your dwarves to attack members of their own civilization.  It will end either with the death of all your dwarves, or with a few paranoid survivors who kill any new dwarf who enters the map.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 07:39:25 am »

Get all of the civ enemies into a room and pump magma into it. No more casade now!

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 09:54:34 am »

What you are experiencing is called a Loyalty Cascade.  It's what happens when you order your dwarves to attack members of their own civilization.

Specifically, what's happened is that your military has been marked as enemies of their own civilization, and as a result they're permanently hostile to all legitimate members of their civilization (who are trying to kill the murderous traitors that attacked the caravan). Technically, the bug is that they were even allowed to attack their own caravan or that they didn't immediately go Berserk upon being ordered to commit treason.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

candylord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 08:43:52 pm »

that... is so awesome
I'm keeping this save tucked away somewhere

Astramancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 09:41:38 pm »

In a bit more detail:

Urist McMilitia attacks a member of his own civ.  He is now marked an Enemy of the State.  Urist McSparring Partner sees an enemy of the state, and, like any dwarf loyal to his civ, attacks the Enemy.  Only now Urist McSparring Parner has now attacked a member of his own civ, and is now marked an Enemy of the State.

This is why it's called a Loyalty Cascade, and why it will result in most, if not all, of your dwarves dead -- because anytime a dwarf tries to subdue a traitor, he becomes a traitor himself that needs to be subdued.

candylord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 11:43:02 pm »

So are traitors hostile to each other?

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2010, 12:23:30 pm »

In a bit more detail:

Urist McMilitia attacks a member of his own civ.  He is now marked an Enemy of the State.  Urist McSparring Partner sees an enemy of the state, and, like any dwarf loyal to his civ, attacks the Enemy.  Only now Urist McSparring Parner has now attacked a member of his own civ, and is now marked an Enemy of the State.

This is why it's called a Loyalty Cascade, and why it will result in most, if not all, of your dwarves dead -- because anytime a dwarf tries to subdue a traitor, he becomes a traitor himself that needs to be subdued.

That is so brilliantly stupid.
Who's the greatest warrior ever?
A hero of renown?
Who slayed an evil ocean?
Who cast the Lich King down?
BILLY!

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2010, 12:39:51 pm »

In a bit more detail:

That is so brilliantly stupid.

You know, that gives me an idea. Wouldn't it be cool if somebody wrote a mod based on the roleplaying-game PARANOIA
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2010, 01:08:01 pm »

In a bit more detail:

This reminds me of what I had guards in the Imperial City do at one time, when they decided to defend me against two Mythic Dawn agents and shot each other in the back during that. The fight ended at sunrise, when the last survivor went to go into bed.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2010, 01:11:27 pm »

Lolwut? I have never heard of ANYTHING like that. Then again I was always a sneaky sort, even when I tried to make a big orc in armor who rushed in head first I somehow ended up sneaking alot.
>.>  <.<  Prase Sithis.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu