Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: My mayor asks the impossible  (Read 1726 times)

Fanklok

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Table User
    • View Profile
My mayor asks the impossible
« on: October 05, 2010, 11:46:49 pm »

My mayor just mandated the production of SLADE goods yeah slade which is wholly impossible. It doesn't make a difference since the one negative thought will definitely be canceled out by his far more then necessary rooms being fit for royalty. This a bug or did Today do it to fuck with us?

Should probably mention I'm still using .12.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 11:53:26 pm by Fanklok »
How the hell did you get a table stuck in a guy?
Where did you even GET the table?

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
Re: My mayor asks the impossible
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 12:06:23 am »

My mayor just mandated the production of SLADE goods yeah slade which is wholly impossible. It doesn't make a difference since the one negative thought will definitely be canceled out by his far more then necessary rooms being fit for royalty. This a bug or did Today do it to fuck with us?

Should probably mention I'm still using .12.
Nope, not a bug. Your mayor just happens to have a preference for slade, and as such will make mandates involving it (whether that be creating slade items or banning export of slade items). Preferences will randomly pick from the multitude of stone types and doesn't take into consideration whether the stone is available on your map or if it can be dug out at all...this has always pissed off players who like to follow mandates - other item creation mandates which have tended to cause problems have been adamantine (for obvious reasons), crystal glass (if you didn't have raw rock crystals on your map in 40d then you were totally screwed. Now that you can import raw crystal glass, this is probably easier) and bismuth (the only bismuth item you can make is bismuth bars)
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 12:19:49 am »

Mine just asked for two legged rhino lizard horn items. Then when I 'ignored' it, the Cpt of the Guard beat my Legendary Armorsmith to death.

At least you can mod slade to be usable.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 12:32:58 am »

you have a few options

1.  kill your mayor
2.  fire your captain of the guard, the mayor and the whole justice system can fuck itself
3.  install chains, mark them for justice, add a bed, and resign yourself to a dwarf being jailed for awhile.  Barring other circumstances, this won't be enough to make your punished dwarf tantrum.
4.  forget the chains, let your captain of the guard beat someone to death
5.  mod the game.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

gralcio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 12:35:36 am »

Send your mayor where slade lies.

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 12:42:33 am »

How does he even know slade exists?
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

Fanklok

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Table User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 01:01:32 am »

He likes slade, and there will be no beatings for I have no military my only defense is an atom smasher 9 cage traps and 90 serrated discs.

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 01:45:11 am »

Note that when you found a fort, if you give a dwarf leadership skills, they will almost certainly end up being mayor, at least at first. Picking someone who likes, say, copper, instead of slade will make your life that much easier.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

Lord Aldrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 01:53:03 am »

He likes slade, and there will be no beatings for I have no military my only defense is an atom smasher 9 cage traps and 90 serrated discs.

Then you can just ignore him. If you don't have a hammerer, no one will get beaten to death. In general though, this is about the time you would want to arrange an !!unfortunate accident!! for your Mayor...

Fanklok

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Table User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 02:19:18 am »

Then you can just ignore him. If you don't have a hammerer, no one will get beaten to death. In general though, this is about the time you would want to arrange an !!unfortunate accident!! for your Mayor...

I knew that big empty room adjoining my wells resevoir and magma path would be useful one day.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 02:29:00 am »

It's been several versions since I last played, but my favorite means of execution used to be the "guillotine".  Add [PET] to dwarves in the raws then butcher the offender (at a butcher's workshop, just like an animal).

The downside to this was you could no longer change a dwarf's labors unless you removed [PET] from them, but Dwarf Therapist can work around that problem.  You should really be using Dwarf Therapist (or some equivalent -- I've seen a few new utilities floating around, some of which may offer the same functionality, but haven't yet tried them) anyway, since it's awesome.

WrathNail

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: too awesome to use]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 02:38:21 am »

If you absolutely want to keep him alive, simply ignore him and stick him in a gold-clad bed/dining room and office, while pampering him with some good booze and grub. The happy thoughts from that should far outweigh any unhappy thoughts from not getting his whiny demands.

Oh, and fire your captain of the guard.
And we, build up castles
in the sky and in the sand.
Design our own world
ain't nobody understand.

Zanethda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2010, 02:45:07 am »

I had a mayor that got elected in who liked slade, so my embark skill choices weren't in play there. I got around this by temporarily swapping out a smelter reaction to output a slade stone. It counted towards the mandate, and afterward I just atom-smashed the stones. Simply appointing a new mayor won't fix it, the old one's mandate stays in effect.

I have a hard time killing my dwarves for any reason or letting them die, so, yeah.
On the item is an image of Ngom Fishsin the goblin and a alligator in mountain goat leather. The alligator is striking down Ngom Fishsin. The artwork relates to the killing of the goblin Ngom Fishsin by a alligator in Crueljoy in The Mechanical Spine in the late autumn of 11 during Kaguskok, "The Crazy Assault".

Fanklok

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Table User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2010, 02:47:13 am »

He has an Opulent Throne room, Royal Bedroom, and Grand Master Dining Hall. A hoard of demons lead by Rapefist the Mighty could walk in kill everyone but him and he wouldn't give a damn.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2010, 02:49:52 am »

I got around this by temporarily swapping out a smelter reaction to output a slade stone.

PROTIP:  Always give your civ 10+ placeholder reactions that require an impossible reagent (so they don't clutter up your workshop) for this very purpose.
Pages: [1] 2