Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mechanic games  (Read 2116 times)

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mechanic games
« on: October 05, 2010, 11:04:33 pm »

Looking for games where you are a mechanic. I loved Gearhead Garage on pc and had a fun one for nds. Any others?
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mechanic games
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 11:28:38 pm »

Well it's not quite a mechanic, bit I hear in this game called Dwarf Fortress you can make your own computer, electrical engineer work?
http://www.geekosystem.com/dwarf-fortress-turing-machine-computer/ ;)
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 11:35:33 pm »

no knock on you but i am sick of every answer on these boards being "df" or "magma". I know df rocks, thats why i have been here everyday for years.

on a side note, i never get tired of the turing machine.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 11:52:12 pm »

Sorry, I just wanted to be the person to suggest it this time, I'm pretty sure I've played a engineer game but can't remember the name, if I remember I will update or repost.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 01:03:52 am »

http://www.zachtronicsindustries.com/?p=696 for electronics technician.
http://www.zachtronicsindustries.com/?p=710 for electrical engineer.
Not the same but hey.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 07:31:44 am »

Engine of war lets you customize your mech's parts and how they interact with each other. There's a pretty big variety of parts so you can pretty much make it do whatever you want. The main campaign gives you a limited amount of money to work with though.
Robot Arena lets you customize your battle bot with whatever you want up to the weight limit. This one lets you build anything you want from the get-go.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 09:37:01 am »

Oh, I remember some people mentioned a space MMO where you designed your own spaceships down to the mixing of the metals, not sure what it was called but it might be what you're looking for.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 10:02:59 am »

Oh, I remember some people mentioned a space MMO where you designed your own spaceships down to the mixing of the metals, not sure what it was called but it might be what you're looking for.

I think that's Star Wars Galaxies, but it's come a long way in sucking since.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 10:55:45 am »

yeah, engine of war was pretty neat with its circuit building.  it had lots of potential, and with some creativity (or by reading some forum posts) you could make some really complex things with the basic components.  unfortuneatly, the game was just a monster-swarmer like robotron or smash-tv.  mindless monsters, flat maps, no strategy, no terrain, no cover.  wasted potential, i think.

there is always this thing:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Incredible_Machine_(game)

and I really enjoyed this simple flash-based machine building puzzle solving game:  http://fantasticcontraption.com/

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 11:36:14 am »

I think that's Star Wars Galaxies, but it's come a long way in sucking since.
No, it was a MMORTS, has been mentioned several times but I can't for my life remember what it is called, might be what he's looking for though.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 01:43:50 pm »

what is this mmorts? sounds interesting

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 02:02:49 pm »

Galactic Civilizations 2 had a pretty freeform 3d ship building system. Shame it was mostly cosmetic, though.

Star Wars Droidworks maybe?

Can't really think of anything even relatively close to Gearhead Garage, though. Not related to being a mechanic, anyway.

What was the nds game called by the way?

postal83

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2010, 02:35:03 pm »

Some of the most fun I've had making stuff is the WIREMOD for GARRY'S MOD

bunch of youtube tutorials on wiremod out there.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2010, 04:57:22 pm »

Moonbase Alpha? You have to repair life support and power supply for the moon colony.
Or dick around with your buddies in rovers while the people in the colony suffocate.

Is that not what you're looking for?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2010, 05:42:31 pm »

The NDS game is Touch Mechanic and it is an EXCELLENT title on a system I rarely enjoy longer than 5 minutes. I used my fiance's pink nds in public for hours on end because I couldn't put this down.
Gearhead Garage was a natural progression from the very cool garage element to the classic hot rod games. I used to keep a 386 machine running so I could play Hot Rod 2. Good times.

Unfortunately there really aren't any hands on auto mechanic games. Motor City Online was great and would have evolved nicely if not for EA's short sighted leadership at the time. Perhaps I will play around with wire mod. Moonbase alpha lives up to it's name. Not a game yet.
Pages: [1] 2