Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pit-killing semi-megabeasts (also, Flummoxed by Flux)  (Read 897 times)

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
Pit-killing semi-megabeasts (also, Flummoxed by Flux)
« on: October 05, 2010, 10:33:46 pm »

I'm playing .14, and thus far have relied on cage traps over the military. My cages have caught me two cyclopses. I want to slaughter them and give my dorfs cyclops burgers!

To this end, I have dug/channeled a hole 3 z-levels deep and put some spikes on the bottom (2 per square, copper and iron). Would this be sufficient to kill my cyclopses?

Next question: how do I move the cyclopses from the cage to the pit? I have |b|uilt the cages in squares adjacent to the pit, but am leery of opening them for the obvious reasons.

---

Also, I traded for some flux materials and pig iron, but my dwarves won't touch them. I made sure they weren't forbidden or blocks (well, the pig iron's a bar, but that's how it's supposed to be, right?).

Edited for HTML fail.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 10:44:00 pm by proxn_punkd »

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pit-killing semi-megabeasts (also, Flummoxed by Flux)
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 11:05:18 pm »

Do you mean they won't touch the flux and pig iron period, not even to stockpile it? Or just that they refuse to make steel with it? Because if you're trying to make steel, you need coke or charcoal too.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 11:54:07 pm »

3 z-levels isn't really that far a drop in terms of damage, I've had lots of critters survive 8 and sometimes 10 levels.  For surest results and funniest splatter, go 15 at minimum imo.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 01:33:23 am »

the key words in the combat log you should be looking for are "blows apart."  If you don't see this, then go higher.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Fellhuhn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 02:07:40 am »

Even some of my puppies survived a 10 z-level drop. But they didn't survive the titan that was waiting down there. Whose head was later shot off by one single bolt. :)

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 02:44:25 am »

They probably won't butcher a Cyclops corpse anyway seeing as how dwarves won't butcher troglodytes, trolls, or other similar creatures. Since they won't butcher it, you can't cook with the meat either.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 04:01:36 pm »

Wiki says Cyclopses are butcherable.

And dammit, I've got living quarters on -4z in that space. Time to find another place to dig my pit...

- - - - -

I've got coke and charcoal aplenty, so I don't imagine it would be that. Is this one of those things that needs to be assigned through a manager the first time around?

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 04:34:36 pm »

I find that when I have to trade for the flux or pig iron, I have to order the making of steel bars through the manager the first time, and about half the time I want new bars made afterward.

Falling creatures don't get harmed by falling ONTO spikes. You have to RAISE the spikes to do damage with them (according to the forum wisdom, anyways). And a 3 level z drop will most of the time just break a leg or arm on a creature dropped down it. Sometimes you get lucky and they break both a leg and arm on the same side. At least, that's been my experiences through all the 31.x versions to date.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

LuckyLuigi

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Ever Savescum
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 05:41:40 pm »

Falling creatures don't get harmed by falling ONTO spikes. You have to RAISE the spikes to do damage with them (according to the forum wisdom, anyways).

Hmmm....that's at odds with the wiki then. Who is right ?

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Trap#Upright_Spear.2FSpike

An often overlooked ability of an upright spike trap is that it also inflicts damage on a creature that falls onto it while it is deployed. And since they are built in the deployed state they can be quickly built to make a pit trap more lethal, without the need for extra mechanisms. However, you will still need the mechanisms that cause your victims to fall onto the spike from above in the first place, and the pit must be more than 1 z level deep for the spikes to cause damage.
Check out Time Denee's brilliant DF comics of Bronzemurder and Oilfurnace.

Batdwarf Forever !

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 06:05:19 pm »

Don't know. I haven't gotten around to using spikes yet. I keep getting distracted with other things, so I am merely repeating forum wisdom on this. But unless this was changed in 31.x, creatures weren't hurt by the spikes in a tile they fell or dodged into. Spikes only "attacked" when raised. This was confirmed by Toady in 28.x.40d.
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 06:48:15 pm »

But unless this was changed in 31.x, creatures weren't hurt by the spikes in a tile they fell or dodged into.
It was.  In the current version creatures falling onto spikes take extra damage from the spikes.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2010, 05:10:17 pm »

I didn't know that. Excellent! I'll have to start lining the bottom of my pits that my enemy find themselves in with spikes.