Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: New to DF. Help? Please? OH GOD THE MAGMA  (Read 2340 times)

ninja137

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New to DF. Help? Please? OH GOD THE MAGMA
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2010, 10:05:40 pm »

Is it hard to survive in an evil area?

KojaK

• Bay Watcher
  • KojaK cancels job: interrupted by Dwarf Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2010, 10:28:57 pm »

I direct your attention to the topic of your post.

OH GOD THE MAGMA SKELETAL ELEPHANTS
Quote from: Airpi
A normal ballista does damage by piercing with overlarge arrows, a dwarven ballista does damage by crushing with entire trees.

They will run, naked, into the caverns and roll around in whatever nearby filth is available.  Watch for gory explosions.

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
  • Know-it-all and bragart
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2010, 10:31:33 pm »

Three words:

AMPHIBIOUS ZOMBIE WHALES

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2010, 10:52:00 pm »

a note about the stone: d - b - h can be used to mass designate stone (and everything else) to be "hidden". I don't use this, but some folks love using it to hide the unsightly clutter.

Trade all those mugs to traders. Heck, GIVE them away.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Fanklok

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Table User
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2010, 12:01:30 am »

Hmmm that makes it sound like beer battered beer....

GREATEST FOOD EVER
How the hell did you get a table stuck in a guy?
Where did you even GET the table?

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2010, 12:10:48 am »

Regarding mechanics:

I looked at the water reactor page and twitched for a few seconds, then gave up on it for a while. What I ended up doing is starting with a windmill-powered millstone and working from there. The principles of machinery will transfer fine, and when you figure out something like that, the rest is a piece of cake cat biscuit. My current magma pump stack is powered by two four-wheel reactor cells with room for another 4 if needed. Start small and work your way up.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2010, 12:31:27 am »

Three words:

AMPHIBIOUS ZOMBIE WHALE SHARKS

fix'd
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2010, 12:59:18 am »

Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2010, 01:02:04 am »

Three words:

AMPHIBIOUS SKELETAL SEA DRAGON

fix'd
double fix'd

Really? Ouch. I've not even run across a regular sea dragon.
Honestly, though, unless you plan on Mermaid Farming, I think it's best to leave the sea alone.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Nightscar982

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2010, 01:38:51 am »

i thought mermmaids* men were sentient and you couldnt butcher sentients in the latest version?
*old thread but still cool to read once in a while.
(http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=25967.0)
In all things you were. In nothing you become.

Lord Aldrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2010, 01:46:43 am »

Best advice I can give is to play with the wiki open and alt+tab between it and your game for the first few weeks you play, there's a wealth of info in there.

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Main_Page

Of direct interest may be the article on manageing all that extra stone:

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Stone_management

Personally, I go for paved floors. Quantum stockpile feels like cheating and I hate destroying anything with an atom-smasher... just in case I need to build a 400 lvl slate tower or whatever :P

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2010, 03:40:02 am »

Can you say 'Skeletal sturgeon'? Took down three of my dwarves in seconds.

Raufgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2010, 05:59:41 am »

Undead + Sea = things crawling out of the sea to eat your dwarfs, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER THEY HAVE FEET OR NOT.

Fun times.

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2010, 09:16:23 am »

I looked at the water reactor page and twitched for a few seconds, then gave up on it for a while.
So did I. Once I dug out the suggested space and built one, however, the design on the wiki demonstrates its own operation adequately after you start it, and it makes sense as long as you throw out human physics preconceptions.

The only real additions to what the wiki presents would be a disengagement mechanism (like a lever-operated hatch or floogate to restrict the intakes or disconnect the gear assemblies) if you need a way to shut it off. Cutting off the water is easier than worrying about hanging machinery, so this is usually what I'd suggest.

Using baffles (another wiki article that looks complicated and scary but demonstrates itself when you take the plunge) you can even have the reactors fill from an infinite source (say with more hatches or floodgates, for safety).

My first foray into machines was building a water reactor and experimenting with baffles to handle the fill, and it was such a rousing success (once I opted to just trust the wiki) for powering my millstones, mist generators, pumps, and so forth, I've had a powered fort ever since!

Start small and work your way up.
Definitely this!

Tyrius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2010, 09:46:22 am »

Yeah, Mechanics is pretty simple. Some people can do things with it that will make you weep tears of elven blood... but when used normally it's pretty easy.

One of the first things I did with mechanics was use a screw pump to fill a moat. I realised that if I put a water wheel -behind- the screw pump, and connected it to the pump with a trio of gear assemblies and an axle, I could have the pump fuel itself if I used a dwarf to manually pump long enough for the waterwheel to provide power.

Water reactors are just this realisation experimented with, tweaked, screamed at, flooded, burnt, coated in magma, encased in obsidian and with an almighty cry of "FOR !!SCIENCE!!" the current water reactor plans on the wiki were created. They are compact, they are self sustaining, and they are really easy to make.

Of course some of us like to see huge arrays of water wheels powered by artificial rivers, but we're weird.
because that's not the dwarven way. Could you make more statues of Urist instead of an impossibly large one chiseled out of the mountain? Sure, you could. If you want to be called a ninny elf by all your friends.
Pages: 1 [2] 3