Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: New to DF. Help? Please? OH GOD THE MAGMA  (Read 2350 times)

ninja137

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New to DF. Help? Please? OH GOD THE MAGMA
« on: October 05, 2010, 09:09:35 pm »

Hello, I recently downloaded Df and have been playing for a few weeks. So far its been pretty good, I figured out farms, mining, trade, pissing off elves badly, and just today I managed to get a smelter working and soon found out that my mountain is practically made of solid gold. One of the main questions I had was about adamantine, what is it? How do I find/make it? Is it natural? Can I make my embark area have large amounts of it if its natural? What is it good for? All ive seen is that it is valuable, and someone mentioned something called HFS. Other than that, all I've been wondering is what the heck do I do with all this stone? I keep making mechanisms, blocks, mugs, walls, absolutely anything I can with it, but I cant seem to get rid of it. Its just everywhere. Cluttering halls and making my nice smooth places look bad. Oh, I forgot. Ive already accidentally killed myself a total of 37 times through accidental cavein, random spiders murdering everyone, elves, four volcano related incidents, and a dwarf just murdering everyone after being moody. Well, thats about all. This game is amazing so far. Thanks in advance for any help people are kind enough to give.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
Re: New to DF. Help? Please? OH GOD THE MAGMA
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 09:13:16 pm »

Oh dear, adamantine.

It's the only metal in vertical veins, and you usually have to go pretty deep to find it, but each individual vein can be quite large once you take into account that it spans multiple Z-levels.  Sometimes as many as a hundred levels, but usually far less.

HFS is a spoiler:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 09:13:37 pm »

Adamantine(Fondly referred to as "Cotton Candy" is a highly valuable weapon that makes excellent edged weapons(Picks, swords, etc.) However, due to its light weight, making warhammers is pointless. Addy is found below the third cavern, at the magma sea. You have to extract metal strands before you can smelt it.
HFS, AKA the Circus, is the place below the cotton candy. It's performers would gladly swarm your fortress if you find it.
Now, for stone.
Quantum Stockpiles are good to keep all of your stone in one place.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 09:19:41 pm »

Cotton candy warhammers are VERY USEFUL...to give to the hammerer.  :P
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

ninja137

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 09:20:26 pm »

Caverns? Is that where the giant spiders that keep murdering my dwarves randomly keep coming from?

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 09:21:08 pm »

Caverns? Is that where the giant spiders that keep murdering my dwarves randomly keep coming from?
Yep. Wall it off and those creepy crawlers won't eat up your little dwarves.
Proud of my heritage.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 09:22:28 pm »

There's the deep caverns below the magma sea with the Clowns, and then there will be shallower caverns are just caves.  And full of all the nasties you would expect to find in a cave.  Like giant spiders.

Edit:  Totally ninjad from.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

ninja137

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 09:22:32 pm »

I take it caverns are deep underground. If thats where the spiders live, how are they above ground? I never dug down more than 3-4 z levels so far

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 09:23:50 pm »

I take it caverns are deep underground. If thats where the spiders live, how are they above ground? I never dug down more than 3-4 z levels so far

the shallow caves can be as shallow as 3 z-levels down.  The deep ones are usually a lot deeper, and have far worse things the deeper you go.

ninja137

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2010, 09:24:33 pm »

Scratch that previous post. I literally just hit a cavern.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2010, 09:25:26 pm »

are you hitting phantom spiders (or whatever they are called)  if so, stop going to evil embarks ;D  (or embarking near cave entrances)

Also, I have decided you should begin your first mega project (relative term.)  Make...A Water Reactor *dramatic music*  but seriously, learn mechanics now, it will help you loads later on.

Also, I was wondering if the booze in prepared meals is the same as food, or if it still booze.
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

ninja137

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2010, 09:26:49 pm »

Whats a water reactor? sounds interesting.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2010, 09:28:09 pm »

Whats a water reactor? sounds interesting.
You use water flows to power something like a Pump Stack using waterwheels.
Proud of my heritage.

ninja137

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2010, 09:29:49 pm »

That.......seems a tad complicated for me right now. Definitely on the to do list though.

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
  • Know-it-all and bragart
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2010, 09:32:20 pm »

Also, I was wondering if the booze in prepared meals is the same as food, or if it still booze.
It's food.  I liken it to beer-battering and such and so forth.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 10:28:21 pm by BigJake »
Pages: [1] 2 3