Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Learning another language- without taking classes  (Read 1795 times)

Melagius

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord and Master here
    • View Profile
Learning another language- without taking classes
« on: October 05, 2010, 08:20:27 pm »

So yeah, I want to learn a new language. Tagalog to be specific, obscure, but I like obscure languages. I like learning languages, or at least I'm pretty sure I do, speaking German and English pretty fluently. But now that I'm pretty much done with my public education and relatively deprived of cash monies. But I will not be dissuaded that easily. So had anybody here ever learned a language through internet means have any tips for me? My friend that speaks it has been helping me learn the basics, but we mostly talk about normal things, and I'd like to actually learn it, cause there's no point of starting something you won't finish. Anybody have any recommended websites?

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: Learning another language- without taking classes
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 10:18:56 pm »

I dunno about websites, but Rosetta Stone is a pretty solid program for learning basics, though it seems you already have those.

Tagalog is what they speak in the Philippines, right?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 10:20:42 pm »

I dunno about websites, but Rosetta Stone is a pretty solid program for learning basics, though it seems you already have those.
It's also expensive, but if you don't mind pirating, that would work.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 10:08:42 am »

I've tried learning sign language on the internet, which is much easier than learning other obviously. Try googling around for things, it took a while until I found some sites, but the constant searching is really worth it. Take a look at wordreference while you're at it, I hear they're pretty awesome. They even have a Hebrew forum =D

Melagius

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord and Master here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 02:53:50 pm »

Yeah, it is the language of the Phillipines. And Rosetta Stone seems like my best bet, but might be hard to obtain with my current financial situation. Would be nice if there was a website for this sort of thing.

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 02:57:42 pm »

Wordreference have a Tagalog forum right here. You can also try your luck with google.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 03:58:44 pm »

If you know anyone who speaks whatever you decide on learning, just try and talk to them in that language as much as you can. I don't think you can really learn anything well without learning to converse in it actively.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2010, 03:47:52 pm »

What I do is use google translate to read up an interesting article in the language I want to learn. Then mouse over to get the original text. Or if you want a bit more of a challenge, view the google translated site in Original view, then mouseover if you want to translate back to English.

Wikipedia's great for it because it uses nice clean, proper sentences.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2010, 10:02:01 am »

While it's not over the internet, consider starting to read children's books in the language you want to learn. Though maybe such would be hard to get ahold of.
Love, scriver~

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2010, 02:15:02 pm »

5 seconds of googling can get you pretty far.

e, cool, "salam(at)" means the same thing in both Arabic and Tagalog. Wait no, disregard that.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 02:18:01 pm by ILikePie »

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2010, 08:38:46 pm »

Well, you could move there. The BEST way to learn a language is to move there and learn it. But that's my opinion. Most people don't really want to move. I plan on learning Japan and maybe living there for 4-5 years, best way to do it is to just move there and learn it from scratch IMO.
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

Melagius

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord and Master here
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2010, 03:28:37 pm »

Well, you could move there. The BEST way to learn a language is to move there and learn it. But that's my opinion. Most people don't really want to move. I plan on learning Japan and maybe living there for 4-5 years, best way to do it is to just move there and learn it from scratch IMO.

I might actually do that for a year or so when I study abroad in college. Though most universities I've considered/apply to don't offer that as a choice, so I'd probably end up in Germany.

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2010, 12:28:38 pm »

So had anybody here ever learned a language through internet means have any tips for me?

I have not learned a language through the internet, but merely by reading a very good grammar. It was the language Kāte and the grammar by Pilhofer (probably the best grammar ever written). For Tagalog, the number one reference work has been written by Schachter (Tagalog reference Grammar). Even if it's very outdated today, it still contains valuable details about the language. Don't trust Schachter's grammar analyses, though. You better rely on your own or on more modern articles, but still: the primary language data Schachter collected and presents in that work are very good and that's why this works is being cited until today whenever somebody writes something about Tagalog.

It is definitely possible to learn the language just like that. Today more than ever before when you can find sites in the internet where you can hear pronunciations, courses and even Tagalog online radio stations. -- And don't forget the baybayin script. It's a pleasure to wirk with it.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 12:30:45 pm by Nagidal »
I stream most of my DF sessions: gaming.youtube/nagidal146, they are archived on my youtube channel. (Dwarf Fortress Tutorials)

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2010, 09:45:07 am »

Best way to learn a language is in bed.  Cliche but it actually works, especially for guys.  Not too hard to pick up 20 or so words you will actually remember the next day.  Free (okay so it depends on how you do it) and a fun way to spend your time if you can hook it up
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2010, 02:39:33 pm »

I heard getting a girlfriend that speaks the relevant language is a great way to learn.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: [1] 2