Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: New to the Game, Give me Tips and Tricks!  (Read 2465 times)

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
Re: New to the Game, Give me Tips and Tricks!
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2010, 06:40:52 am »

Your worst enemy is on the inside. The menace will not kill your dwarves... But your FPS. KILL ALL THOSE DAMN CAT'S.

I've never had that problem with cats.  They're dumb enough that they get themselves killed and I end up with a stable population around 20 - 30. 

I've never dropped under 20 fps (what I consider playable), except....

.... when I had a major river pouring through a hole into the upper caverns - filling those, slowly...

... combined with 12 pages of Clowns, 80 Dwarves, 3 FB's, 4 squads of gobbos, a caravan, the floor covered in blood throughout most of the fortress, 110,000 stones (1800 of them cotton candy!!!) and finally, did I mention the 20 cats.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2010, 07:32:49 am »

I'v had the madness of 30-40 owned cats. Trust me. It hurts. I'm using a slow to av Rig here to.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2010, 07:51:22 am »

I'v had the madness of 30-40 owned cats. Trust me. It hurts. I'm using a slow to av Rig here to.
I always cage the kittens to sell to the next caravan for dwarfbucks.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

meto30

• Bay Watcher
  • Maelstrom. As in whirlpool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2010, 07:54:04 am »

You obviously haven't seen the cats multiply until EVERY SINGLE DWARF has more than one cat.

I had that revelation when I found I had 200+ named cats roaming around the fortress. That was back in 40d days though. Nowadays I don't allow that.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2010, 07:55:32 am »

You obviously haven't seen the cats multiply until EVERY SINGLE DWARF has more than one cat.

I had that revelation when I found I had 200+ named cats roaming around the fortress. That was back in 40d days though. Nowadays I don't allow that.
I only have one little guy who has a soft spot for cats.
I'm using the four named cats to produce an ever-lasting trade good.
Proud of my heritage.

Antary

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2010, 09:08:41 am »

May I ask a question in this thread?

I`m not sure how to set up a magma forge. How to?

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2010, 09:21:24 am »

May I ask a question in this thread?

I`m not sure how to set up a magma forge. How to?
First of all, you need a channeled square below one of the workshop spaces for a magma forge.(I suggest channeling under the impassable square).
Then, if you have discovered magma, you need to pour some magma into that channel.
Once 4/7 of it is filled, the forge will work.
Proud of my heritage.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2010, 10:00:35 am »

Cage traps are the most useful traps as they ensure instant incapacitation, including certain Fun things;
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Don't dig too deep or too greedily; War Dogs are lifesavers; adventure mode sucks and, contrary to popular belief, Bronze is better then iron.

Cotton Candy > Steel > Bismuth Bronze == Bronze > Iron > Copper
Fixed that for you.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Raufgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2010, 11:22:09 am »

Cage traps are the most useful traps as they ensure instant incapacitation, including certain Fun things;
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Don't dig too deep or too greedily; War Dogs are lifesavers; adventure mode sucks and, contrary to popular belief, Bronze is better then iron.

Cotton Candy > Steel > Bismuth Bronze == Bronze > Iron > Copper
Fixed that for you.

Thanks, but seeing as it is slightly more valuable than Bronze, I thought I'd at least put in a distinction. I know when you're looking at weapon and armor usage, it is exactly the same.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2010, 04:14:00 pm »

It is preferred to bronze both because of the increased value and because if you have bismuthinite you get twice as many bars for the same number of other ingredients.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

meto30

• Bay Watcher
  • Maelstrom. As in whirlpool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2010, 06:34:37 pm »

It is preferred to bronze both because of the increased value and because if you have bismuthinite you get twice as many bars for the same number of other ingredients.

Especially Cassiterite. On most biomes Cassiterite is so rare it might as well be more expensive than gold.

Emily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2010, 07:38:11 pm »

Cassiterite isn't really that rare if you're looking in the right place--granite layers.  ...it does mean Gold is more common since gold is found in every igneous layer, and cassiterite is found in exactly one.

Bismuthinite is of course rarer than both, soo...

And steel is clearly better and it's ingredients are as common as dirt--almost literally--if you're first stone layer is dolomite, chalk, or limestone.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2010, 10:23:48 pm »

I'm pretty new to the game (about 2 weeks), but I'm not sure I understand the emphasis everyone puts on cat management.  I haven't been playing for too long, but I've put minimal attention towards controlling my cat population and done ok so far.  My fort is nearing 5 years old, and I have way more puppies than anything else.  I just try to catch any kitten birth announcements and then immediately mark them for slaughter.  Some slip by unnoticed, but if they ever get to exploding I'll just put all but a few in cages in their owner's bedrooms preventing the FPS hit from pathfinding.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
  • Know-it-all and bragart
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2010, 10:27:06 pm »

I'm pretty new to the game (about 2 weeks), but I'm not sure I understand the emphasis everyone puts on cat management.  I haven't been playing for too long, but I've put minimal attention towards controlling my cat population and done ok so far.  My fort is nearing 5 years old, and I have way more puppies than anything else.  I just try to catch any kitten birth announcements and then immediately mark them for slaughter.  Some slip by unnoticed, but if they ever get to exploding I'll just put all but a few in cages in their owner's bedrooms preventing the FPS hit from pathfinding.
Now try not taking those measures.  It doesn't take a whole lot of work but if you let it get out of control...
Pages: 1 2 [3]