Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: New to the Game, Give me Tips and Tricks!  (Read 2471 times)

Reygar

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Ale, Ale, Ale, Ale, Ale.
    • View Profile
New to the Game, Give me Tips and Tricks!
« on: October 05, 2010, 06:04:44 pm »

I'm new to the game, I've looked at a guide and I've played a bit, so i can play the game. But I am looking for tips that will help me build a thriving Fortress for my Dwarfs, good economy, good things to do, and generally things that will help and I can find fun thanks!

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
Re: New to the Game, Give me Tips and Tricks!
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 06:08:56 pm »

Traps are really useful. Much more reliable than a military. A good drowning trap will never fail.
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 06:15:54 pm »

Creating chokepoints on your map, most easily done by channeling out a dry moat and destroying the up-ramps, can multiply the effectiveness of said traps many-fold. Megabeasts can be very valuable if captured alive, so I would advise making your first line of traps cage traps, if not all your lines.

Note that making all your lines cage traps can take much of the fun out of the game, since they are a single instant incapacitation on any non-trap-avoid critter that enters your map.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 06:16:13 pm »

Well, if you're looking for Fun, once you generate a world, and select an embark, just select 'Play Now' and ignore, the 'Prepare Carefully' option.

That'll give you Fun.

Don't use the word Fun here. Fun has a special meaning to us.

As for actual tips.

The Wiki is yer friend.

Remember to bring picks and axes.

Beds have to be made out of wood.

Booze is life.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 06:21:27 pm »

Stockpile all captured wildlife. Wait for a Dungeon Master.

Because you might as well tame those elephants / alligators / giant scorpions
Who's the greatest warrior ever?
A hero of renown?
Who slayed an evil ocean?
Who cast the Lich King down?
BILLY!

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 06:44:42 pm »

War Animals are food, defense, armor, weapons and ammunition. Consider taking a breeding pair of dogs, or several females and a male. Train them on site, don't take trained animals. Animal based industry is broad, and covers many categories of tool you will need to keep a starter fortress moving, but it can be slow to start, so consider setting up some farms at the same time. You'll need the booze, and a variety of ingredients makes for better quality prepared meals in your kitchens!

Butcher -> Tanner -> Leatherworker
Butcher -> Bone Crafter & Bowyer
Butcher -> Cook
Farmer -> Cook
Farmer - > Brewer
Farmer -> Textile Industry

Farms and animal products can produce enough food to drown a fortress. So can irrigating them badly. Learn how to handle pressure with baffles.

Booze is life. Bring plenty. Then bring more. Then make more!

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 06:47:15 pm »

Well, the distinction is sometimes made between fun and Fun. Fun capitalized, of course, being losing. Uncapitalized, fun means your typical definition of fun, like seeing a goblin turned into many smaller pieces of goblin. At any rate, you're better off saying "enjoyable" to avoid ambiguity, if it cannot be derived from context.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 06:48:30 pm »

Alright, lets try this actually in the right thread:

Whips are as strong as miniguns in this game, just because of how the game handles them.

If you see someone with a whip, kill it with ranged.  Do NOT send melee in - they will die, even in full adamantine, in seconds.

Also...  a few more tips...

Siege weapons are insanely useful when set up properly.  Give them a long, straight, fairly narrow path to fire down.

Marksdwarves like to run up and hit things.  Seal them in their fortification room so they can't.

If you embark in a hostile area, the first thing you should do is dig a trench around your wagon. 

Lava burns.  With that common knowledge in mind, do not flood your fortress with it.  If you DO start to flood your fortress with magma / lava, shut off the magma/lava source.  If that is not possible, counter-flood it with water if possible.  It's far easier to pump out water than magma, and water destroys (slightly) less.  Either way, it's going to be Fun.

For the previously mentioned reason, magma-proof doors are a good investment.

Be careful mining adamantine, as there is a certain spoiler if you do it wrong.  In fact, if you find adamant early, it's not a bad idea to just leave it sit until at least mid-game (usually 5 or 6 years in) when you have a strong military.  If you do mine it, you should mine out around it, smooth the stone, then carve fortifications into it.  If it is safe, mine those tiles that you carved.  If it isn't, you have a nice set of fortifications between yourself and the spoiler.

Flowing water is bad for frame rates.  So is flowing magma, but slightly less so.

Water + lava = fun.  And obsidian.  Mine this obsidian, because it's a great building material.

Use stockpiles liberally.  If you don't, you'll find your craftdwarves spending more time gathering the needed materials than actually crafting.

Traps are good.  Automatic traps (pressure plates) are even better, but be warned:  Anything unconscious, including your own Dwarves, falling on a plate will trigger it.

Build towers near your entrance, even if your fortress is otherwise underground, to protect against flying mobs.

Flying building destroyers suck.  Kill it quick.  Preferably from behind fortifications.  Usually, fire will not work, as they tend to be dragons.

All undead, to my knowledge, are building destroyers - but can only destroy wooden buildings.

Mega-beasts with toxic blood or "beware its (poisonous/toxic) [anything]" Should be killed by cave-ins, with your Dwarves nowhere near it.  If it flies, you're screwed.  Be creative, just don't get your Dwarves near them - it might not kill them right away (usually it will), but it may kill them after a few months.

It is a very bad sign when your Dwarves are giving off miasma while alive.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Urist McTaverish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 06:48:57 pm »

Don't breach the circus.
Here at Bay12, we're constantly looking for ways to set the world on fire.
But at least after all the chaos, the weather cleared.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2010, 06:49:22 pm »

When setting up your food stockpile use multiple stockpiles and only allow barrels on one for your booze stockpile, then have the other with barrels disabled for everything else.  This keeps all of your barrels free for booze storage, which is very important.

Never designate any room as a meeting area, otherwise your dwarves will spend all their time partying.  Instead use the zone designation (i) to create a zone and set it as a meeting area.  Using single tile meeting zones will also give you the double edged sword of extremely ecstatic dwarves who are best buddies with every other dwarf in the fort.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2010, 06:51:32 pm »

There is no need to capitalize "game", unless you're trying to make people lose the Ga....

Dammit.

On-topic: Chop down trees, then use the logs for beds. Save making bins and barrels until you have useless metals. Also, I recommend making training spears for use in a danger room before you start making any beds.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2010, 06:53:51 pm »

There is no need to capitalize "game", unless you're trying to make people lose the Ga....

Dammit.

On-topic: Chop down trees, then use the logs for beds. Save making bins and barrels until you have useless metals. Also, I recommend making training spears for use in a danger room before you start making any beds.

Adamantine barrels.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2010, 06:59:00 pm »

Dammit.

Adamantine barrels.
I said USELESS metals. Like nickel.

Although, I'm pretty sure the dwarves would be ecstatic if they were drinking out of one o' dem barrels....
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2010, 06:59:43 pm »

When setting up your food stockpile use multiple stockpiles and only allow barrels on one for your booze stockpile, then have the other with barrels disabled for everything else.  This keeps all of your barrels free for booze storage, which is very important.

Never designate any room as a meeting area, otherwise your dwarves will spend all their time partying.  Instead use the zone designation (i) to create a zone and set it as a meeting area.  Using single tile meeting zones will also give you the double edged sword of extremely ecstatic dwarves who are best buddies with every other dwarf in the fort.

But won't that mean all your food will rot? Plus your food stockpiles will be far less efficient?
Who's the greatest warrior ever?
A hero of renown?
Who slayed an evil ocean?
Who cast the Lich King down?
BILLY!

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2010, 07:05:13 pm »

Alright, a few things to remember,
There is no such thing as too much booze.  ever.
you need to irrigate for underground crops.  always.
fields need to be assigned what to grow for each season.  (so assign the crop 4 times, it will keep that until you change it.)
dimple cups are useless for food purposes, only grow them if you want a blue dye for a clothing industry.  Add blade weed and hide root to that list as well.
redundancy is your friend.  You already have some farms set up growing things every season?  Add a few small above ground crops for variety.  You have a full time brewer producing booze?  Build another still and assign a second.  You have three ways to break the pseudo pressurized magma being pumped into your magma forge area?  Add another seven (magma floods are very Fun...)  You get my point.  Overdoing it is your best bet.
Traps.  Lots and lots of traps.
Serrated discs=money trees.  where the fruit explodes into more money.  Seriously, glass ones start at 256 Dorfbucks.  steel starts at 1280 (?)ish.  If you get masterwork discs, they go up into the tens of thousands.  Do.  Not.  Underestimate. 
Booze.  NEVER RUN OUT OF IT.  EVER.  See redundancy.

Just keep in mind have fun, and losing is Fun!  ;D  (there is a difference in fun and Fun...)
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]
Pages: [1] 2 3