Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: preventing murky pools on embark  (Read 823 times)

aepurniet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
preventing murky pools on embark
« on: October 05, 2010, 04:46:41 pm »

is there any way to prevent murky pools from getting generated on embark?  i like having a 2z level castle keep above ground (guarding the entrance to the fort), and murky pools just force me to make lots of sacrifices.  my moats need a lot more work because of these.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
Re: preventing murky pools on embark
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 04:48:00 pm »

Look for dry areas such as deserts and rocky wastes.  There is no specific way to disable the pools, unfortunately.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

NKDietrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 05:50:50 pm »

Yeah the only place you won't find murky pools are cliffy nightmare embarks where there is no flat space for them to spawn, or in environments where rainfall is super low.

Emily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 05:55:52 pm »

Freezing climates will also lack them.  Or rather, if they have them they'll never thaw.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 05:59:02 pm »

Wait, when did cliff maps become a nightmare?  I've had no problem building on cliffs at all.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

NKDietrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 06:12:24 pm »

Wait, when did cliff maps become a nightmare?  I've had no problem building on cliffs at all.

I'm talking about those areas where there is like zero flat land. It makes it difficult to do above ground mega projects, or simply designate some wood cutting. Also makes it more difficult to see at a glance what is going on outside since everything is spread across so many z levels.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 06:14:51 pm »

I prefer embarking on a flat area so I can see the entire outside area at a single glance.

As to prevent murky pools you're going to need to embark on a glacier, desert, rocky wastes, or on mountain areas with no soil at all.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 07:06:12 pm »

I'm talking about those areas where there is like zero flat land. It makes it difficult to do above ground mega projects, or simply designate some wood cutting. Also makes it more difficult to see at a glance what is going on outside since everything is spread across so many z levels.

Oh, those.

At that point, I liberally apply the practice of mountaintop removal mining.

Then I have plenty of flat land to work with, after about 2 in-game years usually, except one spot that I build my fortress within.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 09:32:45 pm »

Oh, those.

At that point, I liberally apply the practice of mountaintop removal mining.

Then I have plenty of flat land to work with, after about 2 in-game years usually, except one spot that I build my fortress within.

But you can't dig out the tiles at the edge of the map...  kind of ruins the aesthetics.

Back on topic, best you can do with murky pools is pump them out and pave the "murky pool" ground tiles.  No more water gets collected; just pave over the potholes.
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7