Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Caravan Regularity  (Read 1617 times)

bbucsis

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of Lavis, the Mountain Titan
    • View Profile
Caravan Regularity
« on: October 05, 2010, 04:18:46 pm »

Is there any way to make caravan's arrive more regularily, and to make elf/human caravans arrive within the first year?

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: Caravan Regularity
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 04:25:40 pm »

Give everyone these tags:
   [ACTIVE_SEASON:SPRING]
   [ACTIVE_SEASON:SUMMER]
   [ACTIVE_SEASON:AUTUMN]
   [ACTIVE_SEASON:WINTER]

for the seasons you also wish them to come.

I'm not sure if you can make them come any sooner though.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

bbucsis

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of Lavis, the Mountain Titan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 04:53:00 pm »

Give everyone these tags:
   [ACTIVE_SEASON:SPRING]
   [ACTIVE_SEASON:SUMMER]
   [ACTIVE_SEASON:AUTUMN]
   [ACTIVE_SEASON:WINTER]

for the seasons you also wish them to come.

I'm not sure if you can make them come any sooner though.
Hi there, thanks for the help. can you let me know which file I put this information in? Thanks!

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 05:16:03 pm »

You'll have to put them in your dwarf fortress folder/raw/objects/entity_default.txt, and you'll have to add copies of the relevant tags to each and every race that you want to come more often, though it doesn't matter where in the entity entry you add it. All races are in entity_default, and by default they are MOUNTAIN (dwarves), PLAINS (humans), FOREST (elves), EVIL (goblins) and SKULKING (kobolds).
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Emily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 05:24:42 pm »

Erm, it should be noted that I believe you can only get one caravan per season (with dwarves not counting and coming anyway).  Or so the wiki says.  So making the entities all active all the time could cause unexpected problems.  Also I'm fairly certain nothing can make caravans come before the first dwarven one, but if you have a winter active entity it'll come in the first year.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 05:35:17 pm »

I have while modding ended up with dozens of caravans arriving in the same season.  There appears to be no limit to how many caravans you can have arrive in the same season, or trading at the same depot at the same time.  It also appears that caravans can start arriving as soon as the first summer, if you have civilizations with the right triggers who can reach you.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Chandrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 07:02:08 pm »

I haven't run into it with a normal Fort (mainly because i havent placed in a location like it), but in my Genesis game I somehow picked a spot that was near like 12 different live civilizations. I had about 5 caravans a year every year from the friendly ones (and lots of ambushes from the evil ones).

Might try deliberately upping the civ count and placing near a big cluster of different groups. I don't know if it how placing near several human towns would affect things - if they would send one caravan, or one for each town; the races I had were all different in my Genesis game.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 04:36:03 am »

I was playing Genesis the other day and I got a dusk elf caravan just as the sylvan elf traders started packing up.
くコ:彡

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 07:20:23 am »

[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_TRADE:1] --> [PROGRESS_TRIGGER_TRADE:0] should make them show up as soon as its the correct season. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 01:32:28 pm »

Make sure that you choose a site that is near a lot of friendly civilizations. Even if your civilization has a lot of allies, they still won't do you any good if they can't reach you.

...And if that doesn't work, try some fiber  ;D
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 02:47:01 pm »

Erm, it should be noted that I believe you can only get one caravan per season (with dwarves not counting and coming anyway).  Or so the wiki says.  So making the entities all active all the time could cause unexpected problems.  Also I'm fairly certain nothing can make caravans come before the first dwarven one, but if you have a winter active entity it'll come in the first year.
PROGRESS_TRIGGER_TRADE:0 and others allow them to arrive sooner than dwarves. I have ezrakim caravan arriving the first summer.
Also there can be multiple caravans in a single trading depot: you select whom you want to trade with through a special menu.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository