Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: -snop-  (Read 9284 times)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: Cracked Topic
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2010, 09:22:55 pm »

Yeah, I was thinking Flarechannel and Undergrotto, plus a couple of "general projects" like Dwarfputing and Mermaid-harvesting. Also, since you're here, is it cool if Bloodfist goes in (or was that what your Shamelss Plug was supposed to be for?)? I think 3 megaprojects and 3 crazy-tech things (Dwarfputing, mermaid-harvesting, and magma cannons perhaps?) is enough on top of general content and 3 historical figures; I don't want to go overboard and try to cram all the community's memes into one page, just give an idea of the sorts of things we get up to around here. It's easy to go overboard on the info, and I want to avoid that; too long a page is likely to seem overwhelming and not likely to get front-paged (some of that money gets donated if it does, so I want to aim for that, unlikely as it may be).

EDIT: Oh, and I think I'm gonna shrink that Fuck You image to a bit under half its current size and cram it into the middle of the general content section to break up the monotony of Wall of Text. The main image I'll then make a flow chart of non-spoiler things that can kill you, ending with a single conclusion of "Your fortress has crumbled to its end" with no other options.
I would think the white space of the chart (if pie chart or something) could be [spoilers] or clowns.

You can add Bloodfist if you want, but it's not necessary (reason for (shameless plug), since it's already visible when I made the statement). But yeah, I think the Hall of Legends link would be more appropriate. Plus, I think the links in TVTropes (as well as my sig) are enough advertisement for my project anyhow. Plus, I might work on a new project once I get my head wrapped around x.31 so I don't seem like a 1-trick pony. I mean, I think my self-advertising it every once in awhile (though I do try to keep the mentions relevant to their topics) is starting to wear down a bit.

BTW, Bloodfist would seem more mention-worthy if I actually went on and made the community fort based on living in it. But so far, it's just there for show. So, no worries if not mentioned. I didn't mean to suggest it if you thought I did.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 09:27:17 pm by Itnetlolor »

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2010, 09:39:33 pm »

It would be great if the Hall of legends link actually took you to the hall of legends.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2010, 09:48:29 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 08:51:17 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2010, 10:21:24 pm »

To Itnetlolor: I was actually considering Bloodfist before you mentioned it, I just forgot to send you the PM I've been sending people about using their stuff. It's a great example of the "physics-defying affrontsshrines to GodArmok" category of Megaproject, so I though it'd fit in. Basically whatever you prefer, though; there's plenty of ridiculawesome on the boards, so if you'd prefer someone else got exposure, I can do that.
If you feel it would work, go ahead. It's your article after all. My humility gets the best of me sometimes, as I already showed.

Kinda makes me feel better that you considered it before I mentioned it (accidentally). Plus, since you put it that way, it does seem rather relevant, seeing as I had to shut off [CAVE-INS] to make it float independently, and have it drawbridge-access-exclusive. Considering I was also working without a proper dry-dock to begin with, it would qualify as physics-defying since the engines also came in last.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2010, 02:36:25 am »

Gave this a read; nice stuff. Might I suggest editing the opening sentence slightly?

Quote from: From this
Dwarf Fortress has been described as a game where you, "Micromanage a collection of absent-minded, depressed, alcoholic midgets with beards into building an underground house in the middle of a hostile wilderness."

Quote from: To this
Dwarf Fortress has been described as a game where you micromanage a collection of absent-minded, depressed, alcoholic midgets with beards into building an underground house in the middle of a hostile wilderness.

Also, a Cracked commenter mentioned adding something about the North America and Europe worldgenned maps; I fully agree. I would also suggest shortening the numbered facts a bit and ending it with a punchline or a humourous point or something (eg. Losing is fun).

Overspeculated

• Bay Watcher
  • euklid on pth
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2010, 05:27:20 am »

Where are Ironbood, Urist, the other Urist etc. Instead of dwarves that have actual character the list mentions only flat, boring, overhyped ones like Morul and Cacame.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2010, 06:38:56 am »

What about the most awesome Cave Swallowman ever?
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2010, 09:10:12 am »

-snip-
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 08:51:25 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2010, 09:57:11 am »

I am the other Urist.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2010, 10:59:54 am »

-snip-
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 08:51:33 pm by Bauglir »

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2010, 11:16:45 am »

Hmm. It doesn't quite have the feel of manic, profane hilarity that I'm used to from Cracked articles. It's far too informative and helpful, and less humorous.

ALTHOUGH OH MY GOD THE PICTURE OF THE KITTY IN THE CHART IS ADORABLE. YES.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2010, 11:33:03 am »

-snip-
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 08:51:46 pm by Bauglir »

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2010, 12:26:41 pm »

Is it me, or could the magma background be mistaken for a bloody smoothed marble wall?

Other notes about Flowchart:
I think the colors could use some work. Also it could use more items on the list like water or magma or trees. A lack of any could endanger a fort. Also a lack of alcohol is always a bad thing. Hell, it was one of the reasons I had to reclaim my project once before I learned a way to out-pace my losses. A lack of a mood item could cause a downfall as well.

If you want, I can touch up the flowchart and make the necessary improvements. You can PM me the image sources if you want the same images used.

EDIT:
I already made a more magma-like background for it.

How is it?
The original image is much bigger so I can adjust it where I see fit and whatnot. I'm using more than just Photoshop to make it (I'm also using InDesign to build the flowchart part atop). I just figure I should keep it simple and user-friendly as possible in case it needs more stuff or refinement.

As for pub-domain images, I know of a few stock image sites as well. Hopefully I can find some free images that'll also work well.

EDIT EDIT:
Here's a simple flowchart setup I made for it: (In text for easy-edit)
Done for now. I'm open to opinions.

Now I don't mind having made the magma BG so big. I figured I would end up expanding the flowchart a tad.

EDIT EDIT EDIT:
Oh yeah, what's your deadline for this to be ready BTW? And are you willing to link to a larger version of the flowchart if need be? Because if I have a max-dimension to fit it in (if no link), I could do that too.

And regarding the flowchart, I could always have a way to force-link to other cells from another. It doesn't end until you lose or have fun, get bored or have your FPS lock up.

BTW, all I have done is the BG of the chart (more or less, depending on if I need to expand it further or refine the magma-ness of it, it may need further updating). I'll wait until maybe an hour or 2 from now (as of this Edit-x3) before I get to work on the actual chart itself, you know, just in case I need anything else added or subtracted from the chart, or any other notes I should take.

Update:
Updated the magma BG to have a more glassy/ashy effect. Also split the spoiler into versions including the original I'm replacing.

After making the flowchart, what do you think about me transforming the cells into something obsidian-like after I have them arranged? Or is that a little too much a stretch?

Sample:
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 03:19:22 pm by Itnetlolor »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2010, 12:36:27 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 08:51:53 pm by Bauglir »

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2010, 02:02:43 pm »

is it ok to dequote a direct quote, do you think?

Oh, you're totally good. "Has been described as" states that what you're about to say is a quote.

Also, woo incoming new chart stuff!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5