Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Don't beat me - A question  (Read 1497 times)

newguy12354

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Don't beat me - A question
« on: October 05, 2010, 10:42:28 am »

I made a new fortress yesterday. Since I was in a temperate climate and when the game started the river was frozen, I decided to dig it out and dam it for now. Then, to avoid annoying "Damp stone located" I emptied a nearby murky pool with a pump. After that, I started building my farms and noticed that I got fungiwood and other underground plants growing all over my 3 z-level(all soil) fortress... I never pierced any underground river and at the moment, with 7 dwarves, I don't have the ressources to keep them from growing. By ressources, I mean manpower really because the 4th z-level is rock and easily diggable.

My question: Can I(and if yes, how) stop underground plants from growing altogether? They are blocking my door ways and my smallest corridors.

What I already know:Yes, if you build stuff on them they disappear, but there is like 200 of them already so kinda annoying.

My other question: Is it a bug? Why is underground plants growing already?

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
  • I can't really make you love me
    • View Profile
Re: Don't beat me - A question
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 10:51:48 am »

Underground plants have been changed in some way, but I'm not 100% sure myself. I've had them growing in all the little corners of my first layer of soil before I breech the ceverns, but not growing at all in the huge area I hollow out in the second soil layer.

As for preventing/removing, you'll have to pave over them or harvest them. Those are really the only options. I recommend paving patterns of orthoclase and microciline.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 10:54:49 am »

To absolutely stop tree/shrub growth, put something on every tile. Traps work, as do various furniture. Or, simply build roads or constructed floors over problem soil areas; roads are more material-efficient, but you'll accidentally select them when you go through building-selection stuff. To stop them from blocking doorways, build doors in doorways.

As you get more people, you'll not need it as much except in low-traffic areas, as your people will constantly trample them down, and you of course won't need them in areas outside the soil layers.

You probably chanced to embark on a tunnel that happens to go down into the first cavern layer, thus breaching it and enabling underground plant growth on soil and muddy rock. There's no such thing as underground rivers anymore, just caverns and underground lakes and seas, but occasionally you do start on a map where the cavern is revealed at the start. That's what has caused your issue here.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

newguy12354

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 11:10:40 am »

I'll double check that I didn't breach any cavern but I now have two more questions.

1.In my farm area, I cleaned it to get enough space for 3 5x5 farm plots and my room is big enough for many more of them, I just don't use it at the moment and it is getting infested with other plants. I'll deal with them later. But does farm plots keep other stuff from growing?

2. One of the main room of my fortress, basically my workshop on soil area has a huge room for storage space which is also infested with plants. If I remove the plants and place a stockpile there, even if no dwarves(at the moment) walk over the stockpiles, will they deny plant growth there?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 11:14:52 am »

Are any of these soil layers sand? Because I think I heard a thing about underground plants being able to grow in sand even if you haven't revealed the cavern.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 11:33:30 am »

Are any of these soil layers sand? Because I think I heard a thing about underground plants being able to grow in sand even if you haven't revealed the cavern.

I have had countless forts with sand (sand is one of my requirements, gotta love green glass) and have yet to see plants spontaneously growing in the sand layers before revealing the caverns.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

gralcio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 11:40:27 am »

It's true. They slowly grow in sand even without breaching caverns now.

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 12:13:21 pm »

I've had stuff grow on any underground soil, I think it doesn't matter anymore.  The easiest way is simply to put a stockpile over them.  It doesn't destroy them, but you can't see them and I don't believe they will grow.

What pisses me off is that you can't cut down saplings, so I can't clear an area for my farmland (it has to have trees and stuff growing in the middle).

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 12:57:36 pm »

U

I've had stuff grow on any underground soil, I think it doesn't matter anymore.  The easiest way is simply to put a stockpile over them.  It doesn't destroy them, but you can't see them and I don't believe they will grow.

What pisses me off is that you can't cut down saplings, so I can't clear an area for my farmland (it has to have trees and stuff growing in the middle).

For that, I simply floor over and then remove the constructions.
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2010, 01:11:48 pm »

Trample them, just make it a high traffic zone or put a meeting area there.

newguy12354

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2010, 02:12:46 pm »

Okay, well now I checked and noticed something strange about it. The plants grow on the second layer of my fortress which is made out of loam, but they won't grow on the two other soil levels that are made out of peat and clay loam. They also grow in every murky pool that I emptied and the ground in those is made out of peat.

I also didn't breach any cavern or didn't embark on an area where a cavern is already discovered by a natural path to it.

I can live with the bug now since my farm is going well and I got a few waves of migrant that fixed my "no manpower" problem.

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2010, 03:04:11 pm »

That's...  really weird.

I have a fort with a sand layer in .16; not planning on cracking the caverns open for a while, so let's see how that goes.

Also--on a tangent--why don't plants grow on unirrigated 2nd/3rd soil layers?  Bug or feature?  Completely untrodden layers beneath the first never grow a single plant for me, while the first tends to have a plantsplosion.

OP:  Yep, once you put a plot down, wild plants won't grow.  Stockpiles might prevent trees from growing...  90% sure they don't destroy plants, but I can't say for sure about trees because mine probably get enough trampling to kill the trees before they mature.

A good way to avoid the annoyance (and future traffic problems, if you're not capping migrants) is to use at least 2-tile-wide halls for everything.
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

Victuz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2010, 03:13:38 am »

I'm after 12 hours of work and kinda tired so I didn't read every post and I don't know if somebody already gave that answer.

To simply block growth of all underground plants in a certain area I would place a stockyard absolutely EVERYWHERE. And set it to gather dust... I mean nothing.

That always worked for me, and if the need comes you have quick stockyards to modify.
I once flung a migrant off a bridge. He collided with the brook cliff and died.
A year later, my legendary engraver engraved him colliding with an obstacle and dying.

WrathNail

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: too awesome to use]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2010, 03:43:50 am »

That's...  really weird.
Also--on a tangent--why don't plants grow on unirrigated 2nd/3rd soil layers?  Bug or feature?  Completely untrodden layers beneath the first never grow a single plant for me, while the first tends to have a plantsplosion.

Chec(k) the floor. I'm not sure, but I think that if the layer below the 3rd soil layer is rock, the floor of said soil layer will be made of rock as well, so no plant growth there.

Also plants shouldn't grow on soil layers inside until you breach the caverns.
And we, build up castles
in the sky and in the sand.
Design our own world
ain't nobody understand.