Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Embark with most critters?  (Read 1894 times)

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Embark with most critters?
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2010, 10:49:38 pm »

Camels and muskoxen can be purchased from some dwarves civs, it's all luck and biome access.

Yep, I know...  I've been low on luck and biome access, despite the massive new civ territories.  What are the biomes required, and how do you know (pre-actually-trying-to-embark) if the civ has access?  Just a simple matter of having sprawl on the critter's natural habitat?
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

Drakeero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2010, 04:31:05 am »

Wow thanks for the all the information.  I'll have to seriously practice trapping and menagerie building for that fort waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down the line that I'm planning to do [y'know, when I'm actually good instead of a noob].

Embark with a lot of ocean and healthy shoreline, make glass, tons and tons of glass.  Then build an undersea glass palace [stone passages underneath obviously] filled with aquariums and sea creature aquariums.  I hope that's possible.  Would be disappointing if it wasn't.
Cage traps are my magma.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2010, 04:34:12 am »

Wow thanks for the all the information.  I'll have to seriously practice trapping and menagerie building for that fort waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down the line that I'm planning to do [y'know, when I'm actually good instead of a noob].

Embark with a lot of ocean and healthy shoreline, make glass, tons and tons of glass.  Then build an undersea glass palace [stone passages underneath obviously] filled with aquariums and sea creature aquariums.  I hope that's possible.  Would be disappointing if it wasn't.

Possible, yes.  Easy?  Hell no.   Impractical?  Yes.  Hell of a lot of fun?  Fuck yes.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2010, 04:57:28 am »

Go for biome quality over biome quantity.
Incorrect. The amount of spawn on your map is directly linked to fortress size and not how "pure" your map is. The animals spawned are also pure random. You can get elephants constantly or mandrill constantly but over a long period of time it even out. Going for biome quantity however, has 2 significant advantage over "quality":
1) Pregnancy are tracked per species, not as a whole. With larger variety of tamed animals, you can have bigger meat industry
2) While the intersection could be small, your fortress actually tap on a very large animal pool. This mean natural animal supply is also significantly more then on "pure" embarks, and the rate at which you harvest them in each of the biome is also much smaller, allowing for them to repopulate and thus exist longer.

On a side note, my dwarven civ has access to camels and my elf buddy has access to mountain animals. Hopefully they'd bring some eagles eventually.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Drakeero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2010, 05:00:43 am »

Possible, yes.  Easy?  Hell no.   Impractical?  Yes.  Hell of a lot of fun?  Fuck yes.

Ok, how do I add that as a sig?  I really like that.  Just what he said though, not what I said.
Cage traps are my magma.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2010, 05:10:24 am »

Incorrect. The amount of spawn on your map is directly linked to fortress size and not how "pure" your map is.

Doesn't Savagery do anything? o.O

Rastaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2010, 06:26:36 am »

Tundra will give you an urist of wolves, but not much else. The occasional bear, maybe a few deer. Vaguely annoying amounts of raccoons.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2010, 03:18:01 am »

I forgot to mention that you should also consider the location of the nearest elves civilization because they'd be the one who come to trade during spring. Best ones should be in tropical/temperate forests, tropical shrubland or mountain access. Do note that they never establish in savage environment so you dont get most of the giant_ varieties.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

LilGunmanX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2010, 10:25:00 am »

For the love of god, I can't believe nobody has said this yet:

3dog strategy.

Get two female war dogs and one male war dog. You'll have like twenty puppies by next year. If you want, you can bring even more females for even more puppies... you only need one male to get the females pregnant. Seriously, I do this all the time in my forts... they're great protection and they're a reliable food source once you have enough of them.

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2010, 06:26:02 am »

Incorrect. The amount of spawn on your map is directly linked to fortress size and not how "pure" your map is.

What I meant was, some biomes are better because they can spawn a greater variety animals, so embarking on a bunch of overlapping low-fauna biomes wouldn't be as productive as, say, just an ocean+tropical jungle/shrubland.

Doesn't Savagery do anything? o.O

It gives you the giant versions of the cats, for one.  But I don't think it actually increases the number of animals that appear--that seems to be based on your embark size.
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2010, 08:15:31 am »

In worldgen it might help to put temperature and moisture variations to their maximums so your neighbors and area can be easily picked to have different biomes.

Also nice to see there are other menagerists.
Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

Mikehpoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2010, 08:56:00 am »

If you don't mind raw editing you could just add the domestic tags to creatures you want to embark with, buy a breeding pair at your embark screen and create an unholy fortress of savagery on the tallest mountain you can find.

(My basic plan for my current fort)

jaxad0127

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2010, 05:37:18 pm »

If you don't mind raw editing you could just add the domestic tags to creatures you want to embark with, buy a breeding pair at your embark screen and create an unholy fortress of savagery on the tallest mountain you can find.

(My basic plan for my current fort)
Don't need domestic. Edit the mountain entity to use more animals. Much less editing. Adding domestic does other things too.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2010, 07:02:13 pm »

(re: savagery) It gives you the giant versions of the cats, for one.  But I don't think it actually increases the number of animals that appear--that seems to be based on your embark size.

I think there has been some confusion between "number spawned per type" and "number of types".
Pages: 1 [2]