Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Alright, I am officially unnerved. (spoilers)  (Read 2138 times)

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
Alright, I am officially unnerved. (spoilers)
« on: October 05, 2010, 05:55:19 am »

I've been following this vein of cotton candy down now through the magma sea, and am all the way down to Z23 and I still havn't hit the stick.

I'm scared about what sinister might be waiting for me when I finally hit the stick.  On the good side of things, I've mined 1,385 (yes, that's right, almost fourteen hundred) pieces of yummy across 61 z-levels from this one vein.   This thing started near the surface, and I'm now well into the magma sea.  And based off the size of my embark, there's probably 2 or 3 more of them.

On the other hand, I have three forgotten beasts on the map, one on each level of the caverns.  I hope they don't find a way up.  Fortunately, the one on in the highest cavern can't fly, or it'd be flying up my garbage chute right now.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Funtimes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Alright, I am officially unnerved. (spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 06:44:34 am »

On the other hand, I have three forgotten beasts on the map, one on each level of the caverns.  I hope they don't find a way up.  Fortunately, the one on in the highest cavern can't fly, or it'd be flying up my garbage chute right now.

And if it got up there, it would really be up your garbage chute.  :o

How many more Z levels are in the map? My maps seem to have the stick appear at about 5-10 levels above the magmatic goodness.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 05:10:48 pm »

And if it got up there, it would really be up your garbage chute.  :o

How many more Z levels are in the map? My maps seem to have the stick appear at about 5-10 levels above the magmatic goodness.

I'm down past the magma sea into semi-molten rock, all the way down at Z17 now and still no stick.

The map goes up to Z130 with Z100 being river level.  The cotton candy started at Z84, right at the level of the top of the second caverns.

These things are going to be unusually nasty if I hit them at Z5 or something, I see it now.

I have a bigger problem though.

I accidently removed the stairs up at Z23, trapping two miners and one of my haulers down there, and no way to build new stairs.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 05:16:59 pm »

Build a down stair on the above level and a up/down stair directly bellow it

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 05:25:47 pm »

Unforbid raw adamantine in the (z) - Stones menu.

Build stairway.

Place worthless rock in area that used to be cut off.

Remove stairs.

Reforbid raw adamantine.

Build worthless stone stairway.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 05:27:22 pm »

Unforbid raw adamantine in the (z) - Stones menu.

Build stairway.

Place worthless rock in area that used to be cut off.

Remove stairs.

Reforbid raw adamantine.

Build worthless stone stairway.

I...  did not know I could do that.  thanks.

Now I shal build doors out of adamantine, because I have it flowing out my ass at this point.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 05:43:56 pm »

Forge doors out of the metal - they're more valuable.

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

doomdome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 05:56:07 pm »

I'm jealous now... my adamantine mines only stick like 3 levels out of the magma.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 05:57:48 pm »

Forge doors out of the metal - they're more valuable.

Yes, of course.  I wasn't clear about that I guess, I meant...    "Now that I've rescued my miners, I shal build doors out of adamantine (with the metal)."

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2010, 06:16:02 pm »

Don't forget the adamantine swords and axes! :D

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2010, 06:21:32 pm »

Don't forget the adamantine swords and axes! :D

And armor.  But if there is even a single vein more than this one, (and that's extremely likely, as this is in the far north east corner of a 4x4 embark) I won't be able to use it all.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2010, 06:21:58 pm »

You probably have four veins.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2010, 06:50:24 pm »

Probably.   I had a map with 7(!!) once, but they were all short before they either turned hollow or their shape made it impossible to follow them into the magma sea.

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:failures]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2010, 07:07:54 pm »

Probably.   I had a map with 7(!!) once, but they were all short before they either turned hollow or their shape made it impossible to follow them into the magma sea.
obsidian sea?
Quote from: acetech09 date=1343968486
It's probably made from baby bone, with a handle of baby leather. Probably uses the leg bones wound together for the handle, the pelvis for the handle/pick joint, and the pick is the spine.

But that's all in theory, of course. Not like I've made a pick out of my own 5 month old baby before.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2010, 07:09:10 pm »

obsidian sea?

Yea, ya know, because the semi-molten rock provides such great support.

Pages: [1] 2