Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: "Airlock" style drawbridge controls  (Read 2347 times)

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
Re: "Airlock" style drawbridge controls
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2010, 01:18:12 am »

This is actually very simple. Have the outer bridge like normal, but the inner bridge should have either downward ramps or stairs under it instead of an entrance behind it. You can also use floor hatches instead for a quicker reaction time after the lever is pulled.

I generally do this the other way 'round, so as to protect against building destroyers (bridges over ramps are safe from things below). If you enclose the whole thing, you're protected against building destroying flyers, too.

Just be sure to build the ramps before the bridge, or it can get glitchy.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2010, 01:23:58 am »

Naw. As soon as you unlock a door the animal steps off of one plate and beelines for the other door. Obviously it is interrupted because it has to walk on the other plate and then the hatches all open up thus blocking the door it was going to leave through. There's nowhere the animal can step to get out of it and it's all very mechanical. Seeing as they don't eat or anything like that nothing can go wrong except for me not locking one of the doors back up, and if it's at a time that matters I can bother to move the cursor over and just check the other door.

I keep some override levers sealed behind a constructed wall though.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

decius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2010, 12:28:20 pm »

I was thinking along the lines of a kobold theif. Does [lockpick] still exist?
TBH, I think that all dwarf fortress problem solving falls either on the "Rube Goldberg" method, or the "pharaonic" one.
{Unicorns} produce more bones if the werewolf rips them apart before they die.

drvoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2010, 01:03:33 pm »

This is actually very simple. Have the outer bridge like normal, but the inner bridge should have either downward ramps or stairs under it instead of an entrance behind it. You can also use floor hatches instead for a quicker reaction time after the lever is pulled.

Beautiful and elegant.  Will be implemented in my next fort!
Ambassador magma patiently awaits his meeting with your nobles.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2010, 01:34:22 pm »

Beautiful and elegant.  Will be implemented in my next fort!
The other way around was more elegant- ramps take the traders up the the depot and then a drawbridge comes down over the ramps for haulers to use. Building destroyers can't demolish stuff from below et wot.

Brandstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Come hug me bro
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2010, 06:52:35 pm »

This is an excellent idea, and it only requires one bridge with the right positioning. Nice.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2010, 09:20:58 pm »

All praise unto Flaede~

Kind of a pain to set it up as the only entrance though.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 09:24:30 pm by Shoku »

Brandstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Come hug me bro
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2010, 12:09:06 am »

Assign a meeting zone next the trade depot whenever you get migrants, and they will happily run for it. Pull the lever once they're inside, remove the trade depot meeting zone, and fin. As for other outdoor activities, I find a few walled gardens with a tunnel to your fortress is convenient and safe. Just watch out for flying enemies, or build a roof. The same goes for goblin defense too. Build separate arrow towers, and/or a second level onto your gardens with fortification walls.

Edit: Adding a basement to your gardens with a fish stockpile, fishery workshop(s), and an ammo stockpile (if it doubles as an arrow gallery) significantly boosts productivity if travel time is a problem.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 12:16:57 am by Brandstone »

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2010, 01:38:00 am »

I meant more like striking the earth in the first place. If you don't have everyone sitting in place when the bridge is made you've got to wait until you've got a lever controlling the thing for them to come in. Any weirdness with the bridge buildings wanting to be on the other end of the gap is just wretched.
Pages: 1 [2]