Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Migrants and strange moods  (Read 1156 times)

Drakeero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Migrants and strange moods
« on: October 05, 2010, 12:11:06 am »

After some massive swarms every now and again in year 2 I don't seem to be getting any migrants at all.  I'm halfway through year 4 and haven't seen a single wave in 4 seasosn.  I don't know why.  Now I actually need them.  There's plenty of room to grow, hauling jobs are starting to fall behind as is.  Also, I seem to be getting back to back strange moods especially in children [was quite fun when one of those little brats went beserk on my hunter].  Is this just bad luck for this fortress or can I expect this with all fortresses?
Cage traps are my magma.

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
  • Know-it-all and bragart
    • View Profile
Re: Migrants and strange moods
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 12:14:28 am »

Is the dwarven civilization still alive and have you been trading with caravans?

If there isn't a dwarven civ then you'll get 2 migrant waves and then none, though it sounds like you got more than two.  I've also had my migrants dry up completely when I started to ignore caravans.

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 12:15:47 am »

the moods are easy to deal with, just built each workshop in a room with lockable door.

Try making expensive things to attract migrants, like engraving the walls and floors, make gold statues... that kinda stuff.
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

Drakeero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 12:34:16 am »

oof, that might be difficult, as part of the self-imposed challenge this is a farming/brewing/cooking industry fortress with a miner in butchery to keep the cats and such under control.  We do have a blacksmith but not a whole lot of metal and flux for him to work with and there's no stone or other metals currently available from deeper down.  My fort is focused in the 3 soil z-layers on the top of the surface.
Cage traps are my magma.

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 12:37:34 am »

Prepared foods!  Get some big stacks of masterwork prepared foods and you'll add more than enough value to draw some worthless migrants.

Drakeero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 12:50:28 am »

My fortress already has created wealth of 285k dwarf bucks
Cage traps are my magma.

Urist McTaverish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 12:51:29 am »

Mod cooking to get strange moods.  Artifact meals anyone?
Here at Bay12, we're constantly looking for ways to set the world on fire.
But at least after all the chaos, the weather cleared.

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 01:04:14 am »

Need more info.  Did you in fact get more than two migrant waves?  Are there caravans and are you trading?  Have you lost any caravans?  How many dwarfs do you have now?  Has your fortress value increased since the last migrant wave you did get?

Romeofalling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Art of Amul
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 01:06:04 am »

Mod cooking to get strange moods.  Artifact meals anyone?

I shudder to think what will happen when people start eating them.

Drakeero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2010, 01:18:07 am »

Need more info.  Did you in fact get more than two migrant waves?  Are there caravans and are you trading?  Have you lost any caravans?  How many dwarfs do you have now?  Has your fortress value increased since the last migrant wave you did get?

More then two, and I checked the embark to screen to find out I had everyone as neighbors.  Dwarves, elves, humans, and goblins.  Yes, I am traded with all caravans including my first human caravan.  I have 78 dwarves with my init file set for 100.  If I need more I'll set the init higher.  And oh my fortress value has nearly doubled.

Edit: bed time for me, I'll have to check for your answer/advice/questions in the morning.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 01:28:51 am by Drakeero »
Cage traps are my magma.

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2010, 01:32:53 am »

Well that's just weird, you should definitely be getting migrants.  You got the "Your fortress has attracted no immigrants this season" message, yes?  Other than a ton of deaths, which doesn't sound like your position, I'm stumped as to what would stop 'em.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2010, 01:44:03 am »

Yeah, that happens to me for some reason. I get migrants every season from the first summer until they just stop coming in the second autumn.
くコ:彡

Drakeero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2010, 06:52:36 am »

Wait, I just had an idea.  Could it be a side effect of the economy turned off in the init file?

And another strange mood.  At least we had all the supplies on hand for this one.
Cage traps are my magma.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2010, 07:37:11 am »

I'm very certain it has nothing to do with econ turned off as I still have immigrants and i have it off. I, however, find it quite likely that either conflicts or immigrant overflow cause the lack of immigrants as I now get immigrants mostly during spring. Even a single, unsuccessful raid by mandrills somehow cause my fortress not to attract any =/
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.