Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How did 9/11 Affect Terrorism In The US?: Graphs Before And After  (Read 19504 times)

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
Re: How did 9/11 Affect Terrorism In The US?: Graphs Before And After
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2010, 12:02:28 pm »

Aww... No atheist terrorists! D: Atheist's need a share of the terror pie too!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2010, 02:24:16 pm »

What's "anthrax" mean?  Pro-anthrax extremists?

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2010, 09:52:45 pm »

What's "anthrax" mean?  Pro-anthrax extremists?

I guess they just  8) thrash the country around a bit.

I'm guessing that they use anthrax spores to harm people.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 09:57:00 pm by Medicine Man »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2010, 10:46:24 pm »

Of course, if you really want to get interesting, my opinion is that you ought to try deeper analysis than this. Another set of graphs, Method of Attacks by Motive: Bombings by Motive, Arson by motive, Shooting by motive, etc. At least that way, the issue of conflation of relatively minor seeming attacks with relatively major attacks is avoided.

I wouldn't recommend that.  The data set is just too small.  We have about 45 data points and several different sub categories.  Any real statistical analysis trying to deal with the sub categories laid out here would find it's conclusions all fail to overcome even a very moderate statistical significance threshold.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2010, 01:29:31 am »

84 different attacks doesn't seem like a big enough group. I always thought there were more terrorist attacks.

Great job starting a war on the other side of the world to lower the number of terrorist attacks by 1-4, USA.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2010, 10:01:35 am »

84 different attacks doesn't seem like a big enough group. I always thought there were more terrorist attacks.

Great job starting a war on the other side of the world to lower the number of terrorist attacks by 1-4, USA.
The irony being that it's increased the number of islamic terrorist attacks, though it's apparently made a few other groups realize what terrible PR terrorism is.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2010, 12:48:40 pm »

I'm guessing that they use anthrax spores to harm people.
Yeah, but every other group is marked with a motive, rather than a method.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2010, 04:06:27 pm »

Anthrax guy was a special case since his terrorist attack was done to generate more money for his anthrax vaccation program and keep his job. I thought the anthrax scare of 2001 was very famous, so I didn't see any need to attach a 'motive'. If I was to assign a motive, I would call it "False Flag".

Of course, if you really want to get interesting, my opinion is that you ought to try deeper analysis than this. Another set of graphs, Method of Attacks by Motive: Bombings by Motive, Arson by motive, Shooting by motive, etc. At least that way, the issue of conflation of relatively minor seeming attacks with relatively major attacks is avoided.

I wouldn't recommend that.  The data set is just too small.  We have about 45 data points and several different sub categories.  Any real statistical analysis trying to deal with the sub categories laid out here would find it's conclusions all fail to overcome even a very moderate statistical significance threshold.

What if I instead look at all terrorist attacks that occured throughout the United States starting from the earliest possible date of when the Global Terrorist Database started collecting data? If I classify it on the basis of attacks based on methods and motives, we could determine if "terrorism" in the US is indeed very serious (sniper attacks), or not so much (spraypainting). In this graph, I'll also classify "buytic acid" as a terrorist attack, if only because the GTD view it as such, as well as to avoid charges of "artibariness".

The conflation between minor attacks and major attacks seem to be the biggest flaw with my study, and looking at methods would help to avoid that.

EDIT: I'll also see if I can post a new post-9/11 graph with all the pie sections labeled, like the pre-9/11 graph.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 04:15:36 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2010, 04:33:28 pm »

Anthrax guy was a special case since his terrorist attack was done to generate more money for his anthrax vaccation program and keep his job. I thought the anthrax scare of 2001 was very famous, so I didn't see any need to attach a 'motive'. If I was to assign a motive, I would call it "False Flag".
I was under the impression that they never conclusively figured out who did it, something about the main suspect being exonerated, and the second one dying or killing himself or what have you .
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2010, 04:34:18 pm »

You could do it based on... approximate value of the damage caused, finding some way to factor deaths in too?

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2010, 05:56:26 pm »

Well that kind of separates successful ones from failed ones- not sure whether that's what you want, but since motivations were in the original graph I would imagine that it's more about terrorists than security men.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2010, 07:43:39 pm »

However, the graphs don't reflect the number of discovered plots. I bet that there's been a large amount of foiled plots.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2010, 10:09:22 pm »

I was under the impression that they never conclusively figured out who did it, something about the main suspect being exonerated, and the second one dying or killing himself or what have you .

They never did conclusively figured it out, but the FBI have closed its investigation on the Anthrax attack and is sticking by its story that they found out who did it (the second suspect who killed himself).
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2010, 02:43:05 pm »

Will be placed in the OP too.

Sneer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2010, 10:21:48 am »

Now that pie chart is clearly much larger.
Take a knife to a gunfight and stab your opponents while they laugh.
Pages: 1 [2]