Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: !!Stray Cat!!  (Read 2171 times)

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
!!Stray Cat!!
« on: October 04, 2010, 09:21:25 pm »

I just had a single cat burn down nearly my entire fortress.  I don't even know how it got on fire, but it ran right into my fortress, and it got FUN from there.  I want to know why it didn't fall over dead instantly.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
Re: !!Stray Cat!!
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 09:24:27 pm »

Perhaps it was a lignite cat?

Honestly, I have no idea. You have a better chance asking the cat than me.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 09:33:14 pm »

Well, the cat is dead, along with half my fortress, with the other half swiftly !!having fun!!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 09:53:47 pm by Vehudur »
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 09:53:44 pm »

Things don't "burn", so much as bleed to death via missing fat. This means that if a creature loses its fat without dying, it is effectively fire-immune.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 09:55:07 pm »

Things don't "burn", so much as bleed to death via missing fat. This means that if a creature loses its fat without dying, it is effectively fire-immune.

I'll remember that...

So, I get to finish watching my !!fortress!! burn down and then figure out what to do next.

Urist McTaverish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 09:56:18 pm »

I'll remember that...

So, I get to finish watching my !!fortress!! burn down and then figure out what to do next.

Send an adventurer to the forever burning fortress after its death.
Here at Bay12, we're constantly looking for ways to set the world on fire.
But at least after all the chaos, the weather cleared.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 09:59:53 pm »

I'll remember that...

Send an adventurer to the forever burning fortress after its death.

It's so tempting.

---

So it's not entirely gone.  I've still got like 20 Dwarves and still got most of my metal industry there (sans anything to do with coal or coke)

I just found Cotton Candy 10 z-levels down.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 11:11:56 pm by Vehudur »

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 12:09:12 am »

I MUST MOD THIS.

All my dwarves and animals with the properties of Lignite.

My fire-dwarfs shall use clownfire against the clowns.
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

Urist McTaverish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 12:37:21 am »

I MUST MOD THIS.

All my dwarves and animals with the properties of Lignite.

My fire-dwarfs shall use clownfire against the clowns.

Yes but then they'll die of thirst.  After the first one blows the shit out of himself and your booze stockpile.
Here at Bay12, we're constantly looking for ways to set the world on fire.
But at least after all the chaos, the weather cleared.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2010, 12:55:25 am »

Large things actually burn up. I guess the smaller surface area of regular sized creatures doesn't allow enough heat transfer?
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Romeofalling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Art of Amul
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2010, 01:03:44 am »

I don't even know how it got on fire, but it ran right into my fortress, and it got FUN from there.  I want to know why it didn't fall over dead instantly.

Same thing happened to me once. I also happened to find the remains of a fire snake at the beginning of !!kitty's!! rampage. I'm guessing it was the liquid fire venom, in my case. Did your fortress have magma yet?

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2010, 01:07:33 am »

I thought things would burn up.  fairly fast.  Clearly not.

Well I managed to recover with 3 Dwarves left, and am you know, trying to play, but...

No ale.

I don't even know how it got on fire, but it ran right into my fortress, and it got FUN from there.  I want to know why it didn't fall over dead instantly.

Same thing happened to me once. I also happened to find the remains of a fire snake at the beginning of !!kitty's!! rampage. I'm guessing it was the liquid fire venom, in my case. Did your fortress have magma yet?

yes, magma, but WAY down and the cat didn't come from that way.

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2010, 05:12:35 am »

Wait, does that mean you can get a squad of elite, everburning battle dwarves? Or everburning war elephants? Or both??
"Greetings! I am your trade li... OH GOD IT BURNS WHYY"

Also.
Should a diplomat leave the map on fire... will he come back on fire?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 05:14:12 am by Encased in burning magma »
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2010, 06:06:16 am »

Cats on fire is awesome.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2010, 06:07:24 am »

Cats on fire is awesome.

I probably could have stopped it, but I was laughing too hard to do so.

Pages: [1] 2