Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Too dumb to live.  (Read 1473 times)

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
Too dumb to live.
« on: October 04, 2010, 08:17:50 pm »

Why do Dwarves think it's a good idea to stand on the platform that's about to fall while removing the only remaining support?

After the third time re-designating it, I say, fuck it, you're too dumb to live.

That's not good though.  I need a way to make stupid less stupid to avoid a tantrum spiral.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

druid91

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Too dumb to live.
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 08:45:41 pm »

I once had a liason that would dance around my hermit as she worked, Including onto surfaces the Hermit was channeling, or deconstructing, The liason made several narrow escapes but in the end fell into the magma moat during the construction of the drawbridge.

It's not much of a hermit fortress anymore as she now has her servants. though I don't expect them to last long, Two of the 5 have already gone insane due to the rest of their migrant waves various deaths, be it to the fish that they seem too stupid to avoid, or to "accidents" with the main drawbridge, or the downright magmatic execution of half the migrants for refusing to work.
The least you could have done was throw down some booze and seasoning. Abyssal Monsters that Creatures of the Light Know Not Of aren't savages, y'know. Sharing's caring.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 12:33:22 am »

They always go for sides in the same order. The game's gotta choose a walkable tile before it works out the path for them to get to it so it can't tell which side is closest or any of that. Just get used to them trying to remove things from the top instead of the bottom and such.

Personally I dislike collapsing things in that manner though. Had too many sucked over the edge and such. Instead I construct a support below it and link that to a lever. If my real mechanic is busy making mechanisms I just turn it on on someone worthless so they'll link things up and such and voila: gets done quick and easy. I even get a little more specific timing on when it's gonna fall.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 12:41:09 am »

They always go for sides in the same order. The game's gotta choose a walkable tile before it works out the path for them to get to it so it can't tell which side is closest or any of that. Just get used to them trying to remove things from the top instead of the bottom and such.

Personally I dislike collapsing things in that manner though. Had too many sucked over the edge and such. Instead I construct a support below it and link that to a lever. If my real mechanic is busy making mechanisms I just turn it on on someone worthless so they'll link things up and such and voila: gets done quick and easy. I even get a little more specific timing on when it's gonna fall.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I would have - but there was nothing below it but water to build a support on.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 01:08:56 am »

Constuction of building from dumb sides (like masons walling themselves in) can be prevented by putting an unbuilt, suspended otherwise path-blocking building where you dont want them to stand.

This doesnt seem to work with demolishing buildings, this part of the game is probabaly one of its most inane ones. Dwarves will pull floor bars and bridges from under the feet of their friends, and happily plummet to their deaths by removing that last bit from the wrong side.

For bridges and such, give dwarves and alternate route and restrict traffic on the bridge (and wait untill they actualy stopped running over the bridges).

For deconstruction of the last tile holding up some platform or whatnot, do it remotely or find a dwarf you dont like. Even if they stand on the right side they will get dragged along by the cavein.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

meto30

• Bay Watcher
  • Maelstrom. As in whirlpool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 01:39:26 am »

You don't have to build supports under the flooring, you know. You could've just built a support above the floors, connected to something stable, and have it connected to a lever. This is the method I use for removing things above magma.

DukeOfVandals

• Bay Watcher
  • Diabeetus makes you sleepy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 01:40:36 am »

Oh, don't get me wrong, I would have - but there was nothing below it but water to build a support on.

Link a support from the top.

Build stairs/ramp, then a catwalk out above your project, then stairs/ramp down and a support connecting the platform above to the project. Then deconstruct stairs and you've got a support connecting it, ready for deconstruction at your convenience.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 02:33:28 am »

I think you can also use restrictions to keep them from choosing that square as a viable path.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

WrathNail

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: too awesome to use]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 04:38:33 am »

I once had a mechanic that was operating a magma pump while his pet dog was in the output area (by accident, mind you). Then he tantrummed and beat up his best friend.
And we, build up castles
in the sky and in the sand.
Design our own world
ain't nobody understand.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2010, 07:54:04 am »

I think you can also use restrictions to keep them from choosing that square as a viable path.
You cannot.  Traffic zone restrictions won't prevent a dwarf from walking in an area, they'll just cause him to avoid that area when pathfinding.  This does not control what side of a square they stand on when performing a job, just how they choose to walk to that square.

The way to prevent dwarves from standing on something they're going to collapse is to be aware of where they prefer to stand when doing jobs and plan your deconstruction sequence accordingly.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2010, 08:04:22 am »

I think "restrictions" includes burrows.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2010, 09:13:49 am »

I think "restrictions" includes burrows.
Burrows won't help in this case either.  If a dwarf is restricted to a burrow that doesn't include the thing you want deconstructed, he won't deconstruct it.  If the burrow includes the thing you want deconstructed, the dwarf will stand wherever he pleases to do the deconstruction.  Burrows control what jobs a dwarf can do, but don't control where he walks or stands while doing them.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2010, 09:14:56 am »

Build a statue on the side you don't want him standing on.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Granzon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2010, 09:18:06 am »

I discovered that they will also charge directly at a cave crocodile just to get a piece of cave spider silk.

The fact that they are too dumb to live is probably the biggest source of "fun" in the game.

Tfafalcon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2010, 10:01:11 am »

My dwarves like to run AWAY from safety when they spot kobolds outside my fort. Instead of walking over the drawbridge that's just 1 spot away, guarded by a pack of war bears and dozens of traps, they prefer to run out into the forest and certain death.