Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Websites dying!  (Read 2271 times)

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Websites dying!
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2010, 02:31:59 am »

I remember hearing about this awhile ago. To be frank, I didn't take it seriously, you know, with the SUPA METEOR GONA GO BOOM! and stuff like that going around at the same time. But this ones kinda... Well, its actually properly predicted to happen... Nasty.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Websites dying!
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2010, 02:43:27 am »

239 days to go now...

Isn't this technically only the time until we run out of unallocated ones. ISP's will still have them for their customers and there are plenty of unused allocated ones around it's just expansion that will be an issue. Also it seems to be that the number is dropping faster as the countdown has skipped some days now and then.

I admit stopping growth is bad but it's only for public facing machines and not everything that has a public ip actually needs one so there should be a little bit of wiggle room. IPv6 seems like a good idea, and I believe the whitehouse issued an order to upgrade it's agencies by the end of 2012 and everything else by 2014. Sure this is a few years too late, but at least they admit it's a concern ;)

I remain confident my own government (UK) will but some kind of committee in place before the next general election and maybe even have plans to do something about it by 2020...

Edit: We should by a bay12 class A block and then sell them to the highest bidder in a years time :)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 02:46:22 am by Shades »
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd
Pages: 1 [2]