Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Seeds Galore - Can't Plant  (Read 5172 times)

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Seeds Galore - Can't Plant
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2009, 02:24:57 pm »

...that's the problem exactly.

I'd like to file a new bug:

Dwarves are alchemists, transmuting dirt to stone.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2009, 02:33:57 pm »

It's what Quietust described above, then:

Whenever you pave a road, remove a construction, or build a farm plot, it resets the floor type to whatever is appropriate for the layer in which it resides. This has several consequences:

3. When placed on stone or soil dropped by a cave-in, it resets the floor into the surrounding material for the current layer - this is your case, and since you likely dropped the soil down into a stone layer.

And that one's a known issue:
# 000719 □ [dwarf mode][buildings]   (Report) building a farm on soil that was collapsed into a rock layer replaces the soil with rock

Kudos on your coherent understanding of these symptoms, Quietust.  Here's another bug that probably belongs in that category:
# 000657 □ [dwarf mode][jobs][designations]    (Report 1,Report 2) harvesting vegetation can make sand turn into stone, and cutting down trees can turn stone into sand

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2009, 02:44:40 pm »

Well, thanks. Guess I'll have to play with water some more.

Still a workable fortress, but it's a little annoying to find out 19 years in that I've goofed.

Unless that tree->sand bug implies I can try to wet the area, get trees to grow, and then, after 50 or so years of tree growth & harvesting, have a usable soil layer down there. But I think Toady'll have the new version out by then.

There is still the issue of the mud drying up under a viable farm. Especially with the mud persisting at the bottom z-level. Why'd it dry up?
Pages: 1 [2]