Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Seeds Galore - Can't Plant  (Read 5170 times)

death_cookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Seeds Galore - Can't Plant
« on: November 03, 2007, 12:09:00 am »

"No seeds available for this location."

That's what the farm plot tells me. It's subterranean. Inside. Dark. I've got 100+ plump helmet spawn and various other seeds.

Am I missing something? Does it have to be irrigated again? This may be a problem, because I only had a few ponds on the map and they're all dry now. Tropical-ish climate, and... do they ever refill?

Zulaf

• Bay Watcher
  • Am I learning, or do I only think I am?
    • View Profile
Re: Seeds Galore - Can't Plant
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 12:14:00 am »

I dont think this is a bug.

I tried planting prickles out side on 149 elevation(i think it was 149), and it sayed i couldnt so i thought maybe its the elevation. so i tried 1 level up from there and i could plant them. so maybe your just too deep in the mountain?

If this is the case i think its pretty cool.

WIERD 2-5-6-8-9-14

death_cookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 12:18:00 am »

My mistake, I should have said I -had- planted plump helmets on that plot before. It was working just fine. Then I went to look again a while later and it had stopped working.

BahamutZERO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2007, 12:20:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Zulaf:
<STRONG>I dont think this is a bug.

I tried planting prickles out side on 149 elevation(i think it was 149), and it sayed i couldnt so i thought maybe its the elevation. so i tried 1 level up from there and i could plant them. so maybe your just too deep in the mountain?

If this is the case i think its pretty cool.</STRONG>

I think that's a different bug. It doesn't tell you that you can't grow aboveground crops in biomes that have "plants: none", like mountains, but still lets you build the farm plots and set the crops to grow. Doesn't have anything directly to do with elevation. Since you can have multiple biomes on a map, you might be able to grow plants one place but not another on the surface.

What the original poster is talking about is a problem growing things underground, where the above-ground biome issues don't apply.

[ November 03, 2007: Message edited by: BahamutZERO ]

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2007, 08:53:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by death_cookie:
<STRONG>"No seeds available for this location."
</STRONG>

Maybe there's no way to reach your seeds from where the farm is? Do you have any locked doors or anything like that blocking the way?

<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

death_cookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2007, 09:20:00 am »

No, it's perfectly accessible. I planted a plot on the next room over (really the same room, no doors) and it worked fine, though it was 2x1 squares at most. The only mud available was that which the dwarfs tracked in.

Sykirobme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2007, 10:00:00 am »

I've had this happen when the tiles underlying my farm stopped being muddy and reverted to stone.  And the pond I diverted water from is dry and won't refill after two years of rain...
ka KenHR on most other fora.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2007, 04:01:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Sykirobme:
<STRONG>I've had this happen when the tiles underlying my farm stopped being muddy and reverted to stone.  And the pond I diverted water from is dry and won't refill after two years of rain...</STRONG>

Oh, so farms DO dry out.  It just doesn't tell us.

Might be why my dwarves are planting in odd paterns.

As for lakes, always divert the water into the farm, down a grate, and into a sealed room.  You can always pump the water back up later.

hactar1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2007, 07:33:00 pm »

Yeah, farms do seem to dry out eventually.  If you can't find water for irrigation, you can always pond-irrigate from a well as described in http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Irrigation

I wish the "No seeds available" message contained some information as to why... I once tried to make an outdoor farm inside the fortress, by mining out the ceiling until it got sunlight.  It let me build the plot, but not plant seeds... maybe outdoor plants can't have indoor soil types?  I don't know.

Angela Christine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2007, 09:24:00 pm »

I had some farms on loam, I could plant plump helmets all through the winter!  The following spring they stopped working, but they didn't disappear, I had to remove them manually.

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2009, 04:23:37 pm »

Little necroposting here...
This same thing happened to me, but not only did it happen on smoothed stone that was unmuddied, but also on a section of soil (full thing from I'd dropped. No mud should be necessary, but I can only assume that since the area I dropped it on was originally rock, it didn't update to realize that it didn't need mud.

This probably explains why the large soil floor drop I'd done earlier has yet to grow any trees (after 10+ years), and I'll need to figure out a way to flood the area.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2009, 02:03:19 am »

Could you clarify, Shrike?  "Full thing from I'd dropped"?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2009, 11:08:37 am »

Whenever you pave a road, remove a construction, or build a farm plot, it resets the floor type to whatever is appropriate for the layer in which it resides. This has several consequences:

1. When placed on mined out ore veins, it resets the floor to the surrounding stone type.
2. When placed on above-ground cast obsidian, it resets the floor to the top layer (which is usually soil/sand; not sure if mountains get stone or a randomly selected soil).
3. When placed on stone or soil dropped by a cave-in, it resets the floor into the surrounding material for the current layer - this is your case, and since you likely dropped the soil down into a stone layer.
4. When placed on the very bottom layer of ice in a glacier (the layer that has stone floors underneath), it turns into some type of soil, potentially sand).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2009, 02:03:31 pm »

Could you clarify, Shrike?  "Full thing from I'd dropped"?

Sorry. Here's the map, with the POIs showing the different variations of this bug that I'm encountering:
http://mkv25.net/dfma/poi-19856-bugnoseedsavailable1

I mean, I dropped a full section of soil (not mined out) from several Z-levels above via channeling and a collapsing support. It fell into an area where there used to be rock, and was meant to be a tree-growing site/small park bisected by a river leading to a waterfall. Very scenic.

When the underground farms dried out (while the lower-level water channel I'd pumped from has not, strangely), I built farms on it to make sure that I wouldn't revert the soil at the bottom of the caldera to the native stone (POI 3). I don't have more dirt to drop on that area.

Those farms(1), built on soil, listed as dark underground, are giving the 'no seeds available' message, despite them being perfectly viable by the rules of the game.

EDIT:
Quietust, do you mean that if I build the farm plot on mud, then reflood later (if the mud dries up), I won't have to reflood it ever again? Or will this be a chronic issue?

Because I did have a season or two of crops from those underground farms (POI 2).
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 02:07:50 pm by Shrike »

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2009, 02:08:32 pm »

Have you used (k) to verify that the tiles occupied by the farm plot are still actually soil?
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.
Pages: [1] 2