Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Fortress of Solitude  (Read 1078 times)

Diacritic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Fortress of Solitude
« on: October 04, 2010, 11:16:26 am »

Now that invasions are working again and I can set aside any (ultimately fruitless) work on goblin populations, and now that I have several successful-if-boring fortresses under my belt, I'm thinking of my first real project.  I'm going to embark on an evil glacier and build an ice fortress, and I was wondering if anyone had advice (other than "don't do that").

Funtimes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Fortress of Solitude
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 11:18:49 am »

Use lots of magma.

Brandstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Come hug me bro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 11:27:33 am »

Bring wood. Speed of construction, and having short hauling distances are key.  You can also try casting the fortress in a big enclosed mold by taking advantage of the fact that water "inside" won't freeze, but once the roof/mold is removed it will instantly freeze. This is assuming a sufficiently cold biome is used. Having it get warm enough in the heat of summer can lead to some fun unless you mine out the ice, then built walls in place of the mined out areas. 

Diacritic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 11:30:00 am »

Use lots of magma.

Thanks.

I think, although it hadn't occurred to be before writing the thread title, I may aim for some angle ice spires made of constructed walls and ramps that approximates the eponymous Superman hideout.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 11:33:25 am by Diacritic »

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 11:32:48 am »

May I suggest that once it is done you find a way to drop it into the magma sea in one big drop?
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 01:16:26 pm »

Bring in 200ish (or more!) booze, that's the hardest problem to get around in pretty much any hard biome.  That will give you enough time to figure out how to handle all the rest.  Since you'll probably be digging into some hard stuff pretty much all the time, it helps to go in with a lot of miners and picks as well, I like having 5 miners at start.  Going in with wood is nice but not terribly necessary, as you'll only have to do without beds until some traders make it to you, or you break into the caverns and can either set up a safe tree farm or try to secure some wild cavern area.

Emily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 01:39:48 pm »

Bring wood. Speed of construction, and having short hauling distances are key.  You can also try casting the fortress in a big enclosed mold by taking advantage of the fact that water "inside" won't freeze, but once the roof/mold is removed it will instantly freeze. This is assuming a sufficiently cold biome is used. Having it get warm enough in the heat of summer can lead to some fun unless you mine out the ice, then built walls in place of the mined out areas.

I don't believe this would work, since I believe it actually looks at whether the tile is above ground or not.  You still could cast it from ice but it'd be much harder and couldn't be above ground...

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 01:48:04 pm »

once you have built your ice castle, pump magma from the magma sea and create a self recycling magma fall/magma moat.  (constructed ice walls will never melt ;D)  Imagine the terror that would instill in your enemies...

Gobbo1:  "Uh, boss, is that castle made of ice?"
GobboBoss:  "yeah...."
Gobbo1:  "Then how is it pissing magma without melting?"
GobboBoss:  "these are dwarves, physics does not apply to them!"
Gobbo1:  *leaves*
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]