Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.16 Released  (Read 65955 times)

jaxad0127

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.16 Released
« Reply #120 on: October 09, 2010, 11:01:45 pm »

Has the Mayday tileset been integrated with this version yet?
Tilesets should be fine, just install manually.

FuzzyDoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 09, 2010, 11:15:44 pm »

Nope actually.
1. Go look at the Mayday thread and not the release thread for 1.
2. The DIY version will fail because of all the RAW changes from 31.14(the last updated version) to 31.16 that nobody has even put up a workable alternative. And Mayday hasn't been seen...

You'll just have to either wait or play without.
Also bear in mind that dwarves have their heads at a perfect height for a good face-kicking.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.

Wnderer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 10, 2010, 01:44:44 pm »

Zooming in w/the mouse wheel fixes that.

Why, set my beard on fire and sharpen my ears to a point! It works! Urist McMick, may your smelters always have a supply of flux!

I'd have never ever thought of using the mouse wheel on my own. I play on a "desktop replacement" laptop. Great screen, keypad, etc. It has a glidepad, but no mouse wheel. For that, I have to hook up a seperate mouse and use that. VERY INCONVENIENT. I only put a mouse-wheel mouse on the box when I use a DF Visualizer, like StoneSense. So that would never cross my mind. I even unhook that mouse when I swap from a game that uses a mouse wheel to DF.

Siik, my Dwarf Mode looks like yours. But my title screen, world generation screen, and embarkation? They ALSO look like your DF mode. That is, they stretch across the width of the screen, but only come down for a small portion of the height as your Dwarf Mode screen does. In Dwarf Mode, it is nice to have so much map on the screen, but the text menu and text bodies being small, squashed, and not making the transition leaves just a dots on screen, rather than legible text. Thanks to the so-simple fix of just mouse wheeling though, I can zoom in to read text as necessary, and zoom out for better appreciation/planning. Now I'm one happy dwarf. I want to engrave a picture of Urist McMick and a mouse. Urist McMick is stroking the mouse and a engraving of Urist McMick and dwarves. The dwarves are raising up Urist McMick.

To everyone that helped out--- thanks again! I'm off to enjoy some serious DF time now...

I'm having the same problem. It seems BLACK_SPACE and RESIZABLE don't do anything in the main menu and embarkation. RESIZABLE and BLACK_SPACE are always YES. It's annoying for those of us who like BLACK_SPACE:NO.  I guess I'll have to learn how to submit a bug report.

Malibu Stacey

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 11, 2010, 08:39:56 am »

Nope actually.
2. The DIY version will fail because of all the RAW changes from 31.14(the last updated version) to 31.16 that nobody has even put up a workable alternative. And Mayday hasn't been seen...

I made my own version of 0.31.16 with Mike Mayday's graphical pack using the raw tile merger tool which has all the 0.31.16 raws changes (and more of my own to fix more of the bugs in the tracker). All you need is a decent diff tool like Beyond Compare & it takes 10 minutes to roll your own.

Actually I could re-do it from scratch & post it up on the Mike Mayday thread if people are that bothered about not having it.

I see. I was just wondering if there were any new bugs introduced in .16.

Probably but considering we're still in the process of finding bugs which have likely been around since the release of 0.31.xx it doesn't really make much difference whether they're new to only 0.31.16 or not.
I bursted out laughing so hard at this that my dog woke up, came in the room, and looked at me like I'm an idiot.

Then proceeded to brag about how he has 27 kills on his kill list and is super-doggenly tough. 

jaxad0127

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 11, 2010, 10:41:43 am »

Nope actually.

So, the new graphics won't work without changing the raws?

Lormax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 12, 2010, 12:06:24 am »

Nope actually.

I made my own version of 0.31.16 with Mike Mayday's graphical pack using the raw tile merger tool which has all the 0.31.16 raws changes (and more of my own to fix more of the bugs in the tracker). All you need is a decent diff tool like Beyond Compare & it takes 10 minutes to roll your own.

Actually I could re-do it from scratch & post it up on the Mike Mayday thread if people are that bothered about not having it.

I'd love to have you post up your zip if you could, or even just PM me a link.  You also mentioned that you have some of your own bug fixes done?  Which bug fixes are they, may I ask?

Malibu Stacey

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 12, 2010, 06:55:18 am »

Nope actually.

I'd love to have you post up your zip if you could, or even just PM me a link.  You also mentioned that you have some of your own bug fixes done?  Which bug fixes are they, may I ask?

See http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=53649.msg1636981#msg1636981

I haven't included any of my own raws changes in that, it is pure 0.31.16 with Mike Mayday's graphics. My own changes are bug fixes from the bug tracker which Toady hasn't had time to add to the official release yet (stuff like adding Elven diplomats & Human Guild Representatives back in, giving humans the ability to use metals other than just Bronze, making Cartilage Rot so it doesn't fill up your stockpiles since it has no use, etc). I might consider going through all the raws with a fine tooth comb & releasing a "community patch" to fix as much as possible in the interim while we wait for Toady to release official fixes but it depends on how much free time I have (and whether I can really be bothered putting in the effort required).
I bursted out laughing so hard at this that my dog woke up, came in the room, and looked at me like I'm an idiot.

Then proceeded to brag about how he has 27 kills on his kill list and is super-doggenly tough. 

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 12, 2010, 09:00:58 am »

Wow, I just put the [ROTS] tag in my plant and leaf material on my old save, and my framerate went from 15 to 20 for about an hour. while my refuse piles had a bunch of new empty spots. Does having truckloads of refuse and no refuse space impact framerate? Those body parts take like 20 years to rot out there.

Also, I filled a bug report about goblin and dwarf sites not showing up on the map. For some reason I really enjoy the historical maps, and its bugging me not to see the new sites being founded.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Malibu Stacey

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 12, 2010, 09:46:00 am »

Wow, I just put the [ROTS] tag in my plant and leaf material on my old save, and my framerate went from 15 to 20 for about an hour. while my refuse piles had a bunch of new empty spots. Does having truckloads of refuse and no refuse space impact framerate? Those body parts take like 20 years to rot out there.

Also, I filled a bug report about goblin and dwarf sites not showing up on the map. For some reason I really enjoy the historical maps, and its bugging me not to see the new sites being founded.

Having truckloads of anything impacts framerate regardless of your defined stockpiles. That includes stone or blocks used in constructions or at least it did in 40D & I haven't seen any evidence to suggest that behaviour has changed in 0.31.x. Quantum stockpiling doesn't make any difference & it's eminently possible it could make things worse.
Body parts & Corpses rotting is bugged at present with no easy fix in the raws AFAIK.

al103

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 12, 2010, 01:55:36 pm »

(*)allowed skull/bone/shell/tooth/horn settings from refuse pile

MWUHAHAHAHAH!!! AT LAAAAST! I can play again!!!

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 12, 2010, 11:17:05 pm »

The new version is great, except that RS doesn't run on it still :( But then I guess it has encouraged me to try and stop tantrum spirals in other ways.

Are there any plans for criminal dwarves in player fortresses that aren't there for incompletion of mandates etc.?
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 13, 2010, 10:26:28 pm »

A screenshot would be nice.

Edit: For reference, here's what my DF looks like:

Title screen:

World gen:

Embark:

Dwarf mode:

This. I would like to note that I play windowed, and the zooming fix doesn't help unless the window is MUCH wider than it is tall. Across the monitor wide. Once I'm playing i'd rather not have to constantly resize the window in order to zoom in. Gonna go see if I can't steal a previous tileset and hope that doesn't bork everything.

qtquazar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 15, 2010, 12:32:03 pm »

I was curious to see that in recent releases the humans are limited to a bronze age culture. Is this a deliberate timeline repositioning or a bug?

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 15, 2010, 01:35:40 pm »

I was curious to see that in recent releases the humans are limited to a bronze age culture. Is this a deliberate timeline repositioning or a bug?
It's always been the case that steel was the dwarf-only metal. Humans have had to make do with whatever was below steel. It's just that Bronze is now better than Iron, so therefore they go for Bronze. It's actually realistic - pure iron is worthless compared to bronze and what we call the Iron Age is actually the "Steel Age".
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Malibu Stacey

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 15, 2010, 03:00:59 pm »

It's always been the case that steel was the dwarf-only metal. Humans have had to make do with whatever was below steel. It's just that Bronze is now better than Iron, so therefore they go for Bronze. It's actually realistic - pure iron is worthless compared to bronze and what we call the Iron Age is actually the "Steel Age".

Actually it's due to the Humans not having anything other than Brass, Bronze, Electrum, Billon, all 3 Pewter types, Black Bronze, Sterling Silver & Rose Gold available because nothing else is specified in the raws for them. They don't even have access to Copper or Tin to make the Bronze they use in everything. You can see this if you modify your raws to add the Human merchant guild rep back in as you can't request any metals other than those 11 from the Human merchants.
As Bronze is the only one of those 11 alloys which can be used for weapons & armour, they have no other choice but to make their stuff out of it. If you add access to Copper & Iron ores for the Humans, they then have the possibility of using those for weapons & armour.

As Bronze is better in most of the non-broken combat methods at present it is technically "better" than Iron right now however as it stands, the Humans having some magic recipe for making Bronze without access to Copper & Tin is just comical.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15