Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.16 Released  (Read 65957 times)

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.16 Released
« Reply #105 on: October 07, 2010, 03:33:47 pm »

". . . which might work better as surprises, he he he."

Someone has probably pointed this out before, but when I imagine the sound that goes with Toady's e-laughter, all I get is a chuckle of sinister glee.

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 07, 2010, 03:45:06 pm »

I can live with my square rooms being square on the main map/tile display (That is actually cool and something I was going to look into in the future). I do prefer bigger, as that makes it easy on the eyes, allowing me to stuff a 3 day weekend full of Dwarf Fortress with a few breaks for sleep and food. But it was the TEXT and TEXT INTERFACE stopping short and being so screwed up due to squashing that is the problem. My text LITERALLY looks like bits of spiderweb due to the text characters in the MENUS and everywhere ELSE being squeezed down. I finally was desperate enough to enable True Type Fonts, and that stopped the game from turning an E into something resembling a small web. Then my textual information was simply TINY.

Currently, ALL text body and text interface stop at a little over 40% of the actual height of my screen (note: the main map display window does not. It fills the entire volume). With font resolutions being literally very tiny, it makes for very challenging reading of any text in the game. The map display is fine... the text is not.

I'll try swapping out the text tile set for the old stretched, and see if the text interface goes back to full screen and text bodies become clear, readable, and similar sized to the map text tiles again. The True Type fonts let me play DF now for about 2 hours before its just too much straining to make out what is what--- compared to the prior situation which made it 1 hour max.

Also, I want to thank smjjames, TomiTapio, Rexfelum, Toady One, and Sizik for their help on this. Graphic problems always suck, and are often the hardest things to help with.

Ah, yeah, the old size was reported as a bug, and I thought the tile loader handled it now, so I changed it, and it looked fine for me, so I thought it was okay.  Apparently that has broken it for other people now...  I'm not sure what the ideal solution is, since it seems broken for one group or another, but stretching your curses_800x600.png file 100% in the vertical direction (or using the large one from .14 or earlier) should solve new graphics problems at that resolution.  I vaguely recall having a conversation with Baughn about this a long time ago, but I thought it was a resolved issue.

Toady, from what I am seeing, the tile loader is setting the height for ALL of the GAME TEXT and that's making my game think the interface only has 40-50% of the space it is actually using, and "squashing" the actual text itself. I realize graphics are a nasty thing as each driver wants to do its own thing, but this is where my issue with the display is. I can survive "small tiles" on my main map display--- that just makes it hard to see the difference between * and ☼ characters (they look effectively the same now on the main map display). But having tiny text menus and textual info--- that just drains the fun, stamina, and life out of me. Seems like you started with "night" creatures a bit early. ;)

I realize that being an ascii tile game, map tile resolution and "normal text" sharing the same size is not unexpected, but it seems like there's some adjustment out of sorts between the main map window and the menu control windows and whatever that adjustment is, the menu windows and "normal" text are now being unnecessarily shrunk.

Yakui, I'm going to change out the text tile set and see if that fixes my issues. If so, I'll report back in a day or so here that it worked. Seems like it probably should if that was what changed in 0.31.15 and that's where this started for you. (I skipped from 14 to 16 as I've said before.)
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 07, 2010, 06:25:16 pm »

A screenshot would be nice.

Edit: For reference, here's what my DF looks like:

Title screen:

World gen:

Embark:

Dwarf mode:
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 06:51:11 pm by Sizik »
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 07, 2010, 07:22:14 pm »

I'm uploading a crash bug with an old save right now and reporting to the bug tracker. In my old fort started in 31.08, last played in 31.12, when I press 'l' for the artifact list I get a crash. I added the [SHELL] tag to hooves and horns so I could satisfy moods after the turtles ran out, which does seem kinda related, but no other modding.

EDIT: Ok, it seems that the crash is related to the TrueType mode. Normal text mode works.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 07:53:46 pm by cephalo »
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 07, 2010, 07:33:35 pm »

So is this version working properly? No new bugs added after .12?
Oh, I think he's added plenty of bugs these last few releases. Not all just show up immediately.

For one, my dorfs now totally refuse to leave their burrow, no matter what restrictions or alerts are placed.
I had to kick them out of the burrow entirely to get them to leave and cut trees and get cages. Very annoying.

Also Dormitory beds don't seem to be used, only those are slept in and used that also mark the room as a Dormitory. The rest of the beds go forever empty.
I also suspect that the sme problem appears to be with Dining room Tables, chairs, armor stands and weapons racks. Hence, dorfs complain eternally of
being short on tables and who knows what problems the others cause...

Also, I'm sorry but I can't take the time to check and read all the bugreports to see if they've already been reported.
Abandoning Fortress mode's bugfixing and just adding more Adventure mode features has kinda taken away all motivation as most bugs are just left there to be ignored.

These new bugs are in .16?

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 08, 2010, 01:38:19 pm »

Zooming in w/the mouse wheel fixes that.

Why, set my beard on fire and sharpen my ears to a point! It works! Urist McMick, may your smelters always have a supply of flux!

I'd have never ever thought of using the mouse wheel on my own. I play on a "desktop replacement" laptop. Great screen, keypad, etc. It has a glidepad, but no mouse wheel. For that, I have to hook up a seperate mouse and use that. VERY INCONVENIENT. I only put a mouse-wheel mouse on the box when I use a DF Visualizer, like StoneSense. So that would never cross my mind. I even unhook that mouse when I swap from a game that uses a mouse wheel to DF.

Siik, my Dwarf Mode looks like yours. But my title screen, world generation screen, and embarkation? They ALSO look like your DF mode. That is, they stretch across the width of the screen, but only come down for a small portion of the height as your Dwarf Mode screen does. In Dwarf Mode, it is nice to have so much map on the screen, but the text menu and text bodies being small, squashed, and not making the transition leaves just a dots on screen, rather than legible text. Thanks to the so-simple fix of just mouse wheeling though, I can zoom in to read text as necessary, and zoom out for better appreciation/planning. Now I'm one happy dwarf. I want to engrave a picture of Urist McMick and a mouse. Urist McMick is stroking the mouse and a engraving of Urist McMick and dwarves. The dwarves are raising up Urist McMick.

To everyone that helped out--- thanks again! I'm off to enjoy some serious DF time now...
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 08, 2010, 05:32:44 pm »

Perhaps you have it set to [BLACK_SPACE:NO]?
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 08, 2010, 06:47:16 pm »

Oh, I think he's added plenty of bugs these last few releases. Not all just show up immediately.

For one, my dorfs now totally refuse to leave their burrow, no matter what restrictions or alerts are placed.
I had to kick them out of the burrow entirely to get them to leave and cut trees and get cages. Very annoying.

Also Dormitory beds don't seem to be used, only those are slept in and used that also mark the room as a Dormitory. The rest of the beds go forever empty.
I also suspect that the sme problem appears to be with Dining room Tables, chairs, armor stands and weapons racks. Hence, dorfs complain eternally of

Also, I'm sorry but I can't take the time to check and read all the bugreports to see if they've already been reported.
Abandoning Fortress mode's bugfixing and just adding more Adventure mode features has kinda taken away all motivation as most bugs are just left there to be ignored.

Does anybody know?

jaxad0127

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 08, 2010, 06:54:42 pm »

Does anybody know?
The first sounds more like a feature. Burrows should work that way.

druid91

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 08, 2010, 07:05:36 pm »

Toady is awesome.
The least you could have done was throw down some booze and seasoning. Abyssal Monsters that Creatures of the Light Know Not Of aren't savages, y'know. Sharing's caring.

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 08, 2010, 07:39:18 pm »

Does anybody know?

That, too. Dwarfs ASSIGNED to a burrow shouldn't leave it, ever. Dwarves not specifically assigned, but in civilian roles, should leave it when no alerts are active.

Malibu Stacey

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 09, 2010, 10:24:20 am »

Does anybody know?

That, too. Dwarfs ASSIGNED to a burrow shouldn't leave it, ever. Dwarves not specifically assigned, but in civilian roles, should leave it when no alerts are active.

His other complaints aren't bugs, they work fine for me in 0.31.16. There are plenty of other bugs however, just the above aren't actual bugs.
I bursted out laughing so hard at this that my dog woke up, came in the room, and looked at me like I'm an idiot.

Then proceeded to brag about how he has 27 kills on his kill list and is super-doggenly tough. 

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 09, 2010, 07:39:25 pm »

I see. I was just wondering if there were any new bugs introduced in .16.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 09, 2010, 09:42:20 pm »

You're an alpha tester aren't you?  Go find them!

Onasaki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 09, 2010, 10:32:41 pm »

Has the Mayday tileset been integrated with this version yet?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15