Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.16 Released  (Read 65944 times)

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.16 Released
« Reply #90 on: October 06, 2010, 04:25:18 pm »

What's wrong with the standard ascii graphics in this version? It is doing squashed graphics.

I normally set my game to display in 800x600 mode fullscreen, using the standard ascii graphics. This version is doing the same thing as a couple of previously graphically bugged versions--- and not realizing the screen size properly. It is running in approximately twice the height it should, based on the graphics. I've seen this problem before in prior releases. Then they fix something, and the next rev works correctly...

The main problem is that it is hard on my ends destroying me being able to play the game with ease for several hours. Those horrible text displays really make it a challenge to read actual text. The full screen area is being used for the "map displays"--- and they are running in double desired mode as well. And it won't go UNDER 800x600--- which results in some 1600x1200 in actual display, so, you can see why that would be "eye straining". Larger graphic modes ALSO double, so "true size" of my desktop is just incredibly huge, unreadable dots.

I'd hate to have to roll back to 0.31.14 until this is fixed. Although I didn't try 0.31.15, so that might work correctly graphically. (This is all on Windows Vista--- don't know who else is seeing this issue, and just rolling on, and how many windows graphic tile users have it but aren't noticing it because they are using tiles.)

Looking forward to this graphics issue being fixed so I can enjoy long weekends of just playing DF with short breaks for food and sleep...
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 06, 2010, 04:35:40 pm »

Maybe it has something to do with your screen resolution?

I would say double check the resolution settings in the init.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #92 on: October 06, 2010, 05:37:05 pm »

What's wrong with the standard ascii graphics in this version? It is doing squashed graphics.
Are you having [FONT:curses_640x300.png] or perhaps [FULLFONT:curses_800x600.png] in the init.txt?
Are you using [GRAPHICS:YES] ?

(downloads .31.16 ascii and rolls world and embarks) Works just fine in my Vista. Did you try using the mouse wheel to change the zoom?
(tries WINDOWED:NO) Looks fine.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 06, 2010, 06:16:01 pm »

[GRAPHICS:NO]
[FONT:curses_640x300.png]
[FULLFONT:curses_800x600.png]

I don't use tilesets, so I leave the Graphics set to no.

Most of the time, I have to set the full size graphics to the resolution I desire (800x600) in the init, or the game usually makes the screen too small to read. This release, that isn't working as it used to. As I said, it ends up being twice the resolution it should be, and I can't get it down smaller.

I've seen these same issues before with a few builds. Usually last a couple of builds, then goes back to normal for several builds. At least, in the 31.x series so far.

Running 31.14, it's back to the way it should be, and the init files between the two seem identically set to me for all the options I actually change. (Blackspace:no, Fullscreens resolution set, windowed:prompt, and changing 2D to STANDARD).

I've tried 31.16 with default 0's for fullscreen size, and that just makes it so TINY that it is almost like the graphics went from pixels to DPIs.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

ZCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 06, 2010, 08:48:30 pm »

(Of course one can cheat and make nerve tissues heal slowly.)
In real life, peripheral nerves do heal.
Badger badgers badger badger badgers badgers badger.

Juason

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 06, 2010, 09:21:35 pm »

Could you please share what edit is necessary to make nerve damage heal?  My retarded dwarves keep equipping multiple weapons... and that apparently lets goblins maim their unexperienced selves.

magistrate101

• Bay Watcher
  • That one kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 06, 2010, 10:28:58 pm »

I would appreciate 0.31.17 so i get a free E-cookie :D

Yakui

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 07, 2010, 12:10:32 am »

Lord Darkstar, it's doing the same thing for me. .15 did as well. All of my visual settings are the same as they were in the .14 and previous, so I can't figure out what's causing it.

I agree that' it's frustrating. Many things are so small now, that it's hard to fins what I'm looking for. I tried using the mouse wheel to zoom, but it still looks squashed, and while the tiles to get bigger, it only makes them blurry, and just as visually unappealing.

Anyone else have this problem?

Rexfelum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 07, 2010, 12:36:55 am »

I normally set my game to display in 800x600 mode fullscreen, using the standard ascii graphics. This version is doing the same thing as a couple of previously graphically bugged versions--- and not realizing the screen size properly. It is running in approximately twice the height it should, based on the graphics.
Lord Darkstar, it's doing the same thing for me. .15 did as well. All of my visual settings are the same as they were in the .14 and previous, so I can't figure out what's causing it.

Go to data/art and open your curses_800x600.png file.  In .14 and earlier, the symbols are very tall.  In .15 and .16, the symbols have been shortened exactly to a half of the original size.  They are now very similar to the curses_640x300.png symbols.  I do not know if this is intentional.

Personally, I've had a terrible time since the beginning getting any of the graphics settings to do what they say they should.  But what I've done for now is copy my old version of curses_800x600.png into .16 to get the aspect ratio I believe you two are seeking.

--Rexfelum

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #99 on: October 07, 2010, 03:03:44 am »

Ah, yeah, the old size was reported as a bug, and I thought the tile loader handled it now, so I changed it, and it looked fine for me, so I thought it was okay.  Apparently that has broken it for other people now...  I'm not sure what the ideal solution is, since it seems broken for one group or another, but stretching your curses_800x600.png file 100% in the vertical direction (or using the large one from .14 or earlier) should solve new graphics problems at that resolution.  I vaguely recall having a conversation with Baughn about this a long time ago, but I thought it was a resolved issue.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 07, 2010, 05:12:34 am »

I think it's just people not realising that it was a bug that it was stretched vertically before.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #101 on: October 07, 2010, 07:31:16 am »

Could you please share what edit is necessary to make nerve damage heal?  My retarded dwarves keep equipping multiple weapons... and that apparently lets goblins maim their unexperienced selves.
in tissue_template_default.txt, there is
[TISSUE_TEMPLATE:NERVE_TEMPLATE]
   [TISSUE_NAME:nervous tissue:NP]
   [FUNCTIONAL]   [SCARS]
   [TISSUE_MATERIAL:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:NERVE]
   [RELATIVE_THICKNESS:1]
   [PAIN_RECEPTORS:60]   [VASCULAR:12]
   [CONNECTS]   [TISSUE_SHAPE:LAYER]

add [HEALING_RATE:2000]

Other fine-tunings are possible like heart pain up, [PAIN_RECEPTORS:60] "bruised heart causes unconsciousness"
and brain   [VASCULAR:180] --die sooner from brain hit   and [PAIN_RECEPTORS:100] --high pain: bruised brain causes unconsciousness.
Guess who had a bolt sticking out of wildlife's brains and it didn't slow down or die.

Thanks Toady for making these things editable!!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 07:36:15 am by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Malibu Stacey

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 07, 2010, 08:26:54 am »

in tissue_template_default.txt, there is
   [FUNCTIONAL]   [SCARS]
   [PAIN_RECEPTORS:60]   [VASCULAR:12]
   [CONNECTS]   [TISSUE_SHAPE:LAYER]

add [HEALING_RATE:2000]

Other fine-tunings are possible like heart pain up, [PAIN_RECEPTORS:60] "bruised heart causes unconsciousness"
and brain   [VASCULAR:180] --die sooner from brain hit   and [PAIN_RECEPTORS:100] --high pain: bruised brain causes unconsciousness.
Guess who had a bolt sticking out of wildlife's brains and it didn't slow down or die.

Those are modified raws probably from a mod. default in 0.31.16 are

[FUNCTIONAL]
   [SCARS]
   [VASCULAR:3]
   [CONNECTS]
   [TISSUE_SHAPE:LAYER]

(note VASCULAR:3 & missing PAIN_RECEPTORS:60)

Thanks Toady for making these things editable!!

It'd be even better if they didn't need editing by default to make things work as expected.
I bursted out laughing so hard at this that my dog woke up, came in the room, and looked at me like I'm an idiot.

Then proceeded to brag about how he has 27 kills on his kill list and is super-doggenly tough. 

WrathNail

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: too awesome to use]
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 07, 2010, 09:07:25 am »

I simply imported the tileset I was using in previous versions and changed the init accordingly, so I never noticed this thing with the graphics.
And we, build up castles
in the sky and in the sand.
Design our own world
ain't nobody understand.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 07, 2010, 01:36:27 pm »

The confusion arises from the fact that, at the default gridsize of 80x25, curses_800x600 does not result in a resolution of 800x600, but 800x300 (the tiles are 10x12; 10x80=800, 12x25=300). Since pre-SDL DF stretched the tiles to achieve fullscreen resolution, the tiles were stretched to double their size and looked like this:

Now (since one of the 40dXX series) that the game automatically sets the grid size (which would have to have been done manually in 40d), the tiles are not stretched and the grid size is increased instead, resulting in 80x50 tiles filling an 800x600 resolution, looking like this:

Some people complained about this, which resulted in DF being packaged with the default curses_800x600.bmp, but with curses_800x600.png stretched to double its height (10x24 tiles), resulting in the old fullscreen look.

Now, curses_800x600.png is the same size as curses_800x600.bmp, causing the current confusion.

Note: (old) curses_800x600 is just curses_640x300 with a row of pixels added to each side of each tile. (640x300 has 8x12 tiles, 800x600 has 10x12)
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15