Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.16 Released  (Read 65905 times)

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.16 Released
« Reply #75 on: October 05, 2010, 09:48:09 pm »

Caging the males will stop things, excepting any trader animals. Now, I dont know if 1 chained male will get all the chained females, so that'll work. And afaik, creatures age in cages, so you can cage them as children :)

A burrow set to allow noone containing a meeting hall will attract animals but no people?
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 05, 2010, 10:17:54 pm »

nope. burrows aren't exclusive.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 06, 2010, 12:43:29 am »

It should work as long as all your citizens are assigned to some other burrow containing at least one meeting zone, shouldn't it?

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 06, 2010, 01:39:30 am »

true. pain in the ass to set up, though.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Thadius

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:homemade coffee]
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 06, 2010, 01:42:04 am »

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNO TOADY ONE!

For lo, did the bonepiles of yore return!

And there was much rejoicing.

And the dwarves did feast upon the kittens and the donkeys and the plump helmets and the cheese and...
If you accidentally lock the elves in the depot and wait until they're insane to capture them in cages and then lock the next group of elves in the depot and unleash the insane elves from their cages, that's still somehow your fault.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 06, 2010, 02:36:28 am »

My dwarven liaison got mashed by an ambush a couple of years back and I haven't gotten a dwarven caravan or liaison since then - is that intended?  I know my liaison has been killed many times in previous versions but that wasn't the end of contact with the parent civilization...
ps haven't gotten any migrants since then either, although I'm still interested in this fort with a population of 64.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 02:40:28 am by FleshForge »

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 06, 2010, 03:29:52 am »

Huh, I guess they elected a new liaison, here he is.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 06, 2010, 07:36:51 am »

You can chain the male animals, and cage the females near a farmer's workshop.  Then when you take the females out to be milked, they can be impregnated by the males (no physical contact is required -- isn't DF biology wonderful?).  They can give birth while caged, as long as they had some out-of-the-cage time to become pregnant.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 06, 2010, 07:46:26 am »

Maybe there was something horribly wrong with my map, but that 5x5 embark with 64 dwarves dropped down to 15 FPS before I'd really got very much digging done.  The only running water was one brook.  I've had many 6x6 forts in previous versions that were vastly more complicated and had much more digging done, with several waterfalls, and none were that slow.  Guess I'll try another location at 4x4.

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 06, 2010, 10:04:31 am »

So is this version working properly? No new bugs added after .12?
Oh, I think he's added plenty of bugs these last few releases. Not all just show up immediately.

For one, my dorfs now totally refuse to leave their burrow, no matter what restrictions or alerts are placed.
I had to kick them out of the burrow entirely to get them to leave and cut trees and get cages. Very annoying.

Also Dormitory beds don't seem to be used, only those are slept in and used that also mark the room as a Dormitory. The rest of the beds go forever empty.
I also suspect that the sme problem appears to be with Dining room Tables, chairs, armor stands and weapons racks. Hence, dorfs complain eternally of
being short on tables and who knows what problems the others cause...

Also, I'm sorry but I can't take the time to check and read all the bugreports to see if they've already been reported.
Abandoning Fortress mode's bugfixing and just adding more Adventure mode features has kinda taken away all motivation as most bugs are just left there to be ignored.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 10:07:09 am by jei »
Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #85 on: October 06, 2010, 10:41:16 am »

Can't wait for a few more reactions in adventure mode and a bit to do in amongst the sprawl. Should make for some amusingly epic moments.
See the Genesis mod for making (dragon-) bone and leather items with adventurer-reactions!
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

fluffyblacksword

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 06, 2010, 12:01:39 pm »

Just out of curiosity, what's the minimum recommended CPU + memory these days? 2GHz single-core and 2GB of RAM appears to be inadequate (dwarftime elapses as slowly in 0.31.16 on my desktop as it did in 0.28yadda on my netbook, if not slower).
Never mind. Switching away from the default "2D" graphics mode to "STANDARD" seems to have worked wonders.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 02:17:34 pm by fluffyblacksword »

bremarv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 06, 2010, 02:05:07 pm »

Just out of curiosity, what's the minimum recommended CPU + memory these days? 2GHz single-core and 2GB of RAM appears to be inadequate (dwarftime elapses as slowly in 0.31.16 on my desktop as it did in 0.28yadda on my netbook, if not slower).

got 2GHz dual core and 2GB of ram. is running decently with 50 dwarfs at ~40 fps.
the future isn't the present on steroids. The future is a mutated bacteria that you never saw coming. - Annalee Newitz
there are certain rooms that should not have lava moats. Namely danger room, and daycare rooms.
I prefer dwarves for some things. Like not laying eggs.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 06, 2010, 02:13:14 pm »

I've got a 2.97Ghz Celeron D with 1.5GB of RAM. I get roughly 30-40 fps on a 3x3 embark with a brook and any number of dwarves under 150 or so.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Kearn

• Bay Watcher
  • insert witty tagline here
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 06, 2010, 03:26:18 pm »

i luv u toady

<3

finally added bone refuse piles

no but seriously i luv u toady <3

and bone piles <3