Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.16 Released  (Read 65913 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.16 Released
« Reply #165 on: October 21, 2010, 08:15:04 am »

I currently play neither mode, actually.

most of the fun I get from DF is from messing with stonesense.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #166 on: October 21, 2010, 08:23:06 am »

1: How can I get Slade items in the arena, I can't find them and I want to know If I have to turn something on or something.
2: How do I give Breast-plates pauldrons, or otherwise make it defend the shoulders?
1. I think you can't.
2. command [UBSTEP:1] in breastplate's raws. Also can have a dwarf wear THREE chain mails and one breastplate for extra protection.

The problem I find in 3.16 is the amount of civs everywhere like mushrooms in rain.
Try stopping the world gen in the year 80-150 or so, less time for the civs to spread.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

brucemo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 22, 2010, 02:24:43 pm »

I'll bet that the reason a lot of us are here is that "boatmurdered" made the game go kind of viral.  It's hard to ignore that, and it's hard to argue that the fan base that was created because of that shouldn't be caterered to.

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 22, 2010, 04:14:00 pm »

I'm here due to TVTropes site. Reading about dwarves and carp there made me laugh, then come over here to Bay 12's website to check things out. From there, I tried 28.x, and I was hooked, since I love the "Dungeon Keeper/Evil Genius" kind of games.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 22, 2010, 05:19:16 pm »

Think I first saw DF on some list of "best free games" or something like that. Tried it, hated it, left it for 3 months, remembered it, nerd ego rose to challenge, figured out how to farm, fell in love.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 22, 2010, 07:50:42 pm »

I got referenced to DF and Boatmurdered by Rutskarn's Dwarf Fortress Let's Play.

Also, I still can't play .16.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 26, 2010, 01:44:11 am »

I don't know what's so different in this version, but every map I've played for very much time (about 15 so far) gets down to 20ish FPS before I even have a hundred dwarves no matter what I do - no running water, 4x4 embarks, as few animals as possible, no machines or pumps, and really not even a huge amount of digging done.  In .12 I was able to run much larger maps (5x5 normally although even 6x6 was okay) and had populations of 200 before my FPS would bottom out.

Blackdutchie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 26, 2010, 01:46:32 am »

Are you sure you set your settings back to what they were? I forget from time to time and then act all surprised when things are slow, clumsy and without flow indicators.
Quote from: Bauglir
Quote from: Flying Carcass
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
The first lesson taught by DF is patience.
The second: Madness.
The third: Magma, properly applied, solves all problems.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 26, 2010, 06:51:25 am »

Nope, my settings are pretty exactly the same - I show water depth but even on a map with no flowing water it's pretty bad at around 80 dwarves.  Trying now with a 3x3 map  :-\

Aristarhys

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 26, 2010, 07:57:23 am »

Hail to Glorious Toady One and all Bay Watchers.
The Fame of Dwarf Fortress spreads to all directions, due the Absolute Awesome Extreme Hardcore Gameplay of this game. Even in far and cold land like Russia, the community of loyal DF fans grown bigger each day.One of our local game themed site called Absolute Games (which is on top) place a DF into a files archives.
To became a true Dwarf Master I even grown my beard again.

Stike the Earth! In Loosing For Fun We Unite!

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 26, 2010, 08:48:40 am »

I just killed a bunch of invaders (drop trap, splat) and my FPS went from the 90s down to the 40s, is there a tremendous amount of calculation going on for individual body parts?  Because killing this invasion sure made a bunch of them, along with a bit of blood, and I don't see what else would have brought down my FPS this badly, this early.  Pop 38  :-\

edit: looks like once stuff finishes rotting it calms down, FPS is back up towards 80
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 09:08:50 am by FleshForge »

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 26, 2010, 11:26:51 pm »

Pop 56 and FPS is down in the 25-27 range, with a 3x3 embark, and I've done really not too much digging compared to many forts in earlier versions - I haven't even gone past the first cavern, have no pumps or magma.  Hopefully mashing some of the junk on the map (admittedly there's a ton of body parts and trash equip) will get rid of some overhead.  I really don't remember .12 being anywhere near this slow in similar circumstances, I had many forts that had gotten to 200 pop and were in the 30 FPS range.  There's a ton of livestock (no refuse pile space to butcher them just now) but all care caged except for 24 cats and dogs that are bonded as pets - in any case I've had other forts in .12 where I had more than a hundred dogs roaming around free and it wasn't this bad.  No running water either.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 27, 2010, 04:01:48 am »

Try using a utility to clear off the blood.

I've been struggling myself to maintain usable FPS in this version; conditions under which I could maintain a fort of 143 at ~50 fps are now yielding ~25 with ~50 dwarves.

Edit. By this version, I meant DF 2010; the 143 @ 50 fps was under 40d.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 02:48:24 pm by darkflagrance »
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 27, 2010, 08:04:16 am »

Yeah I actually let a few years worth of blood pile up before running the cleanmap utility and it had no impact on FPS at all, it's not that.

you know what, since it's not just me I think I'll go back to .14 with world genned in .12 for a while
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 08:15:55 am by FleshForge »

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 27, 2010, 06:36:02 pm »

I went back to .14 and it's really night and day different, currently have 60ish dwarves and a bunch of animals on a 4x4 embark, running magma (filling a large number of magma forges) and it's at 100 FPS.  Something is really wrong speed wise with .16.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15