Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.16 Released  (Read 65940 times)

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.16 Released
« Reply #135 on: October 17, 2010, 01:15:18 am »

Caging the males will stop things, excepting any trader animals. Now, I dont know if 1 chained male will get all the chained females, so that'll work. And afaik, creatures age in cages, so you can cage them as children :)

A burrow set to allow noone containing a meeting hall will attract animals but no people?

So, setting a fall trap for dwarven children with it caging them, would keep them safe until they reach adulthood....
Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 17, 2010, 02:27:36 am »

You'd still have to worry about people taking food and drink to each of them regularly, lest they starve.

Then there's the other problem that it can be quite annoying to get dwarves out of cages.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 17, 2010, 02:59:35 pm »

Wow, cool!

I have a problem though. I took a hiatus from DF as I wanted to play some other games (sounds silly, I know). I had 0.31.12 for the Mac. However, this version isn't working. Is this because I didn't download .13-.15, or because I may not have Intel inside (not sure if I do, and I believe Intel wasn't a requirement for .12).

I must run DF in Terminal with this command: ~/Desktop/df_osx/df. The new folder is also called df_osx, so that's probably not the problem. The only other thing I can think of is I copied and dropped the save folder right into Data. One last thing: I can still play .12, I tried right after failing to run .16, and .12 works perfectly.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 17, 2010, 03:00:09 pm »

Caging the males will stop things, excepting any trader animals. Now, I dont know if 1 chained male will get all the chained females, so that'll work. And afaik, creatures age in cages, so you can cage them as children :)

A burrow set to allow noone containing a meeting hall will attract animals but no people?

So, setting a fall trap for dwarven children with it caging them, would keep them safe until they reach adulthood....

Yes one male can get all the females due to the fact that everything in DF reproduces by spores. Also, I swear caged merchant animals can send spores through the cages. It won't happen for your own caged animals though.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 17, 2010, 05:08:07 pm »

It's always been the case that steel was the dwarf-only metal.

I'm getting kobold thieves with large steel daggers.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Beardless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 17, 2010, 05:54:45 pm »

Then there's the other problem that it can be quite annoying to get dwarves out of cages.

Has it changed since 40d then? I found it simple enough that one time my only decent marksdwarf took a nap on the cage trap intended for the giant bat terrorizing my miners. Just build it and connect it to a lever. (I believe that you may also need to build the cage to have your dwarfs feed the occupant as well. But don't quote me on that.) The whole thing took like five minutes. Granted, they were the second-longest five minutes of my DF career due to her infant NOT getting trapped with her, but that's not relevant here. This isn't a story thread, so all I'll say about it is that was one BADASS baby. :o

I have a problem though. I took a hiatus from DF as I wanted to play some other games (sounds silly, I know). I had 0.31.12 for the Mac. However, this version isn't working. Is this because I didn't download .13-.15, or because I may not have Intel inside (not sure if I do, and I believe Intel wasn't a requirement for .12).

The current download for Mac only works on the Intel chip, so that's the first thing you should check. Just go to "About This Mac" in the Apple menu, and it will show you right there. (And you're right, .12 did not require an Intel chip, which is the main reason I'm still stuck on that version.)

Intel-only Mac release makes me sad. Wish I could help fix that.
So it turns out that dumping magma on skeletons is either a really bad idea or maybe like the best idea ever.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 17, 2010, 07:21:54 pm »

My processor is a "2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo". So should I theoretically be able to run this?
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

FuzzyDoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 17, 2010, 07:29:15 pm »

My processor is a "2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo". So should I theoretically be able to run this?

I'm running a 2GHz with 1GB of RAM. It's fine.
Also bear in mind that dwarves have their heads at a perfect height for a good face-kicking.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 17, 2010, 08:36:33 pm »

Then why doesn't it work?

FuzzyDoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 17, 2010, 10:20:41 pm »

Then why doesn't it work?

What's wrong with it? Any error messages, lagging...?
Also bear in mind that dwarves have their heads at a perfect height for a good face-kicking.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #145 on: October 18, 2010, 11:41:51 am »

A few people were reporting problems with 10.4, is that the case with you?
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 18, 2010, 02:20:43 pm »

dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/X11R6/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib
  Referenced from: /Users/Zander/Desktop/df_osx/libs/SDL_ttf.framework/Versions/A/SDL_ttf
  Reason: image not found
/Users/Zander/Desktop/df_osx/df: line 5:   361 Trace/BPT trap          ./dwarfort.exe

That's my error message.

Havenspire

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 18, 2010, 02:49:02 pm »

I actually took time out of my day to register to a forum for once. Unfortunately, it's because I can't help but express my discontent for this recent DF trend... aka Adventure Mode.

I don't like adventure mode. The reason why I look forward to new releases of dwarf fortress is to see new things added to... (wait for it)... DWARF FORTRESS.

Seriously, separate these games into different builds with an export feature or something. I started playing this because I like Dwarf Fortress. It's cool and all that some people enjoy Adventure mode, and you're having a good time writing new content for it... but it's really REALLY disappointing reading news updates about Adventure mode additions when all that time could be put into making Dwarf Fortress more awesome. In fact, with the recent town and farm additions to DF:AdventureMode, you've reportedly hindered gameplay for Fortress mode. Thus, I've restrained from downloading beyond the .12 build.

I know it's not constructive of me to be a bitch about this, but I wanted a voice to at least be heard that I'd much rather work was done on Fortress Mode with another arc rather than have a year of updates that adds nothing to DF:Fortress Mode... which is the core of the game.

It's like if Bungie was working on another Halo game, then stopped halfway through to make a Halo MMO. Sure some people would get all excited about the MMO, but that's not even the same genre as the playerbase who loved the game as it was originally. I love your games and work, Toady, but ffs work on Dwarf Fortress plz. :)

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 18, 2010, 02:54:27 pm »

I actually took time out of my day to register to a forum for once. Unfortunately, it's because I can't help but express my discontent for this recent DF trend... aka Adventure Mode.

I don't like adventure mode. The reason why I look forward to new releases of dwarf fortress is to see new things added to... (wait for it)... DWARF FORTRESS.

Seriously, separate these games into different builds with an export feature or something. I started playing this because I like Dwarf Fortress. It's cool and all that some people enjoy Adventure mode, and you're having a good time writing new content for it... but it's really REALLY disappointing reading news updates about Adventure mode additions when all that time could be put into making Dwarf Fortress more awesome. In fact, with the recent town and farm additions to DF:AdventureMode, you've reportedly hindered gameplay for Fortress mode. Thus, I've restrained from downloading beyond the .12 build.

I know it's not constructive of me to be a bitch about this, but I wanted a voice to at least be heard that I'd much rather work was done on Fortress Mode with another arc rather than have a year of updates that adds nothing to DF:Fortress Mode... which is the core of the game.

It's like if Bungie was working on another Halo game, then stopped halfway through to make a Halo MMO. Sure some people would get all excited about the MMO, but that's not even the same genre as the playerbase who loved the game as it was originally. I love your games and work, Toady, but ffs work on Dwarf Fortress plz. :)

Yeah, but in adventure mode, you can play in the same world as your old fortresses, so even if you don't like it, you can go and explore the ruins. Or you could just try to kill all of the megabeasts to make fortress mode easier (or give them higher body counts).

FuzzyDoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 18, 2010, 04:00:13 pm »

It's Toady's game. He could scrap it all tomorrow and make it a Sims game if he wanted. Remember, we play this godly game because the All High and Might Toady allows it. Also, some people play this for the Adventure Mode. (Not me, though I have tried it a few times and it's pretty fun.)
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15