Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Military problems and Cotton Candy question  (Read 1999 times)

Dr. Skittles

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Military problems and Cotton Candy question
« on: October 04, 2010, 01:51:18 am »

So, the Dwarven militia seems to be cowering in fear during ambushes...

At least, that's what it seems like. During an ambush, I had set my military Dwarf's to an alert that sends them to a certain burrow to defend (Burrow #1), while I set my civilians to go to a burrow in their quarters (Burrow #2). As soon as I set my Axedwarf's squad to defend burrow #1, they instantly turn back into civilians and go to burrow #2. The only time they become Axedwarf's again is when I set their alert to "Active/Training". I have no idea why this is happening, although it's probably something obvious. Any help would be appreciated.

Also, is the location of Cotton Candy based on depth, region, or both?

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
  • Know-it-all and bragart
    • View Profile
Re: Military problems and Cotton Candy question
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 01:54:43 am »

Just set burrow #1 as the burrow under active/training.

I'm not sure I understand the second question.  It is always in the form of spires rising from the circus.  The number and height is pretty random as far as I know.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 01:58:37 am »

Just set burrow #1 as the burrow under active/training.

I'm not sure I understand the second question.  It is always in the form of spires rising from the circus.  The number and height is pretty random as far as I know.

Yes.  And as an example, I've had anywhere from 1 to 16 spires of cotton candy on any given embark.  Just watch out for the stick.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Dr. Skittles

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 02:07:15 am »

Thanks for the answers, guys. Luckily two caravans had arrived during the ambush and slaughtered the invaders (Would have been much more satisfying to see them run into my large serrated blade traps... Damn Elves.)

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 02:16:27 am »

About the Cotton Candy I think Toady once said that every 2x2 embark area atleast is garrenteed to have atleast one cotten candy that leads to the circus.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 04:14:09 am »

About the Cotton Candy I think Toady once said that every 2x2 embark area atleast is garrenteed to have at least one cotten candy that leads to the circus.

This is true.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 10:47:02 am »

About the Cotton Candy I think Toady once said that every 2x2 embark area atleast is garrenteed to have at least one cotten candy that leads to the circus.

This is true.

Actually, I once embarked in a 2x3 region that had zero adamantine in it - when I ran reveal, it didn't even trigger the HFS spawn.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that each 2x2 region contains adamantine in a random corner, so it's possible for them to be arranged in such a way that a 2x2 embark doesn't have any. For example:

Code: [Select]
#ab#............
aABb............
cCDd............
#cd#............

In the above diagram, # denotes adamantine within each 2x2 region (denoted by letter), and uppercase letters indicate your rather unlucky embark region.

Any 3x3 region is guaranteed to contain adamantine, but if it's only 2 wide or 2 tall it's possible to turn up empty.

Also, can we quit with the idiotic "cotton candy" euphemism and just put a SPOILER tag on the thread instead?
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 10:50:10 am »

NEVER! I quite like the euphemism, makes it a little more amuseing.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

katyrnyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 11:19:34 am »

This is true.

Really?  Because I've had at least two 2x2 embarks without a single cube of The Blue.  I think the original spec was 3x3 was sure of at least 1....

As for cotton candy: my military is always distracted by it.  Worse than kids at a carnival.  Something about it being made of pure dwarven sugar worked over a magma vent really draws them in.  Sweeter than Dwarven Rum, and light as a feather.  (And complete with menacing spikes of sweetness!)

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010, 11:27:43 am »

So i may as well put this question in here. Do you need blue weapons to damage clowns ? For the first time I visited the circus. I had about 25 legendary fighters in mostly full steel (.3.10) waiting in a small cavern near the circus. Very bad tactics to have them close together. I had only ten blue axes. They managed to kill fifteen assorted clowns before they were all burnt to a crisp. And walling off the circus works, does it ? They don't have magical teleport abilities ?
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2010, 11:52:14 am »

So i may as well put this question in here. Do you need blue weapons to damage clowns ? For the first time I visited the circus. I had about 25 legendary fighters in mostly full steel (.3.10) waiting in a small cavern near the circus. Very bad tactics to have them close together. I had only ten blue axes. They managed to kill fifteen assorted clowns before they were all burnt to a crisp. And walling off the circus works, does it ? They don't have magical teleport abilities ?

No, copper will damage clowns, they wear no armor and skin/muscle/bone is about as strong as soaking wet paper in DF. What makes clowns dangerous is their size(average about 167 times bigger than a dwarf , i think?) and their number. Obviously, better quality/material weapons do more damage, but any metal is effective for attacking. Better armor will defend better against the fire attacks you mentioned as well.

I wouldn't recommend blunt weapons vs. clowns, but if you had 10 axes you probably weren't using them anyway. Also yes, walling it off works fine, however if there is *any* possible path, you have to wall it off. I've had them sneak into caverns through a chasm that went into the magma sea. Also, they could *probably* go out a volcano that is attached to the magma sea, though i haven't tried that.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 11:53:46 am by Zaik »
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Emily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2010, 01:37:22 pm »

This is true.

Actually, I once embarked in a 2x3 region that had zero adamantine in it - when I ran reveal, it didn't even trigger the HFS spawn.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that each 2x2 region contains adamantine in a random corner, so it's possible for them to be arranged in such a way that a 2x2 embark doesn't have any. For example:

If this is the case then the odds of a 2x2 region not having adamantine are going to be about 1/3, 1/4, or zero depending on where along the boundaries you embark.  So actually pretty high, though not the majority.  I've certainly seen 2x2 regions without it.

Rexfelum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2010, 02:26:14 pm »

Also, they could *probably* go out a volcano that is attached to the magma sea, though i haven't tried that.

Lava/magma in all its forms should be treated the same by the code, and I can certainly say that they will go through volcanoes in general.  In my save, they burst through a tap I had on the volcano a hundred stories below ground, and used that to reach my fortress.  It was terrifying.  They stood beside the volcano's column for several minutes; then, one by one, they ascended in great steaming clouds to the surface of the lava.  They looked like angels taking flight.

--Rexfelum

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2010, 02:41:46 pm »

They CAN go up volcanoes, don't make that mistake, I've lost forts like that.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Fanklok

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Table User
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2010, 03:18:23 pm »

The only logical solution is to throw elves into any volcanoes near your embark to appease them.
How the hell did you get a table stuck in a guy?
Where did you even GET the table?
Pages: [1] 2